• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a deity

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Some people see deities as part of reality. So the supernatural beings (however defined?) are real life beings. That begs the question what is a being? Unless folklore is part of real life rather than stories of morals rather than their literal content.
Well concepts are often based in reality. That dosent make that concept a reality in the context it's out in. Just the reality of it being in someone's thoughts and action.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well concepts are often based in reality. That dosent make that concept a reality in the context it's out in. Just the reality of it being in someone's thoughts and action.
Something just dawned on me after re-reading the definition of deity. When we deify something, we are making it sacred or divine-consecrating it, right?

If that's true, a deity would be a sacred consecrated object or thing and when it becomes an object or person of worship, it becomes god?

But, yes, concepts are based on reality. Maybe for some people it's hard to tell the difference between concept of reality and reality itself?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure I have much to add to the baseline definition presented in the OP, as that's pretty close to my default go-to understanding. I probably need to re-think how I approach terms within my own tradition, but not sure that's really needed to go into that.

But, yes, concepts are based on reality. Maybe for some people it's hard to tell the difference between concept of reality and reality itself?

Some of us reject the supposed distinction between a concept and reality. I find that distinction very odd myself. If it can be known, experienced, or understood in any fashion, it is real and part of reality. That someone would call something they can know and experience "not real" is just really strange to me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Some of us reject the supposed distinction between a concept and reality. I find that distinction very odd myself. If it can be known, experienced, or understood in any fashion, it is real and part of reality. That someone would call something they can know and experience "not real" is just really strange to me.

Posts that make me go hmmmm.

I agree. It's not something it was raised around, unfortunately. It's a much more healthier way of seeing things.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Posts that make me go hmmmm.

I agree. It's not something it was raised around, unfortunately. It's a much more healthier way of seeing things.

It's not something I was raised around either. It's just a perspective I came to early in life that has stuck with me. Hard to say how it got there, given how very long ago this was. Doesn't much matter what the reasons were for it back then. The reasons for me holding to that now are what matter. On the whole, it seems to me folks question much of the ontological philosophies their culture imparts to them. Probably shouldn't be surprising, since we don't require philosophy as part of general education.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I see deity as synonymous with a god or gods.
A nuanced term for divinity that makes distinction of individuality, arguably separate from other beings.
God (or gods) can be that and/or can be energy-like permeating all (or portions of) existence, thus not separate, not technically individualistic.

Kelly of the Phoenix

From what I can see, given how broad the stakes get if you try to look at how deities work all across the globe, it appears to be some entity (not necessarily anthropomorphic) who can influence some subset of nature naturally whereas we would need tech to do it.

interminable

منتظر
I know something!!

If we and universes aren't made of noting and something or someone has created us then reality should be the creator not us

Simply because we comparing to the creator are dependent and in every moment is possible to die

Last edited: