1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What is a Christian?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by GoldenThread, Jan 22, 2019.

1. 2ndpillar

2ndpillar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +184
    The Gentiles, "Christians", would be best described as the "adulteress" of Hosea 3, who was bought for the equivalence of 30 shekels of silver, and kept for "many days" , until the "sons of Israel will return".

A second good description, would be the "flock doomed to slaughter" (Zechariah 11), "pastured" by two staffs/shepherds, one called "Favor", Paul, because of his false gospel of grace, and the other one called "Cords", Peter, because of how he died (John 21:18), and because of his breaking the bonds between Judah and Israel, by his shameful "vision" (Zechariah 13:4), and who was called the "worthless shepherd" who would not feed, care, or tend the sheep (Zechariah 11:16-17). There are other descriptions, but I like to keep my post short and sweet.

2. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,183
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe it is a person who has received Jesus as Lord and Savior.

3. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,183
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe that is not what a Christian is but it does describe a Jesus follower.

4. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,737
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    A Christian is one that believes that Jesus was the son of God and resurrected from the cross after three days.

That is the only common denominator I can see.

Some of them claim that a Christian is one that has a personal relalationship with God, Jesus or whatever. But that is clearly ridiculous, since they cannot even agree on basic stuff like the age of the earth or the nature of hell.

Unless those personal relationship restrict to talk about the weather, of course.

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 1
  5. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,183
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't believe that is how it works. One can be transformed by His message all day long but if the person is not prepared to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior then he will not be born again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,183
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe such a person believes things about Jesus but those beliefs will not make him a Christian.

I believe it is only ridiculous to someone who hasn't formed a personal relationship.

I believe disagreements are a sign that not all people claiming to be Christians have a personal relationship that informs them on religious issues.

7. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,183
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe all the writers were inspired by God and valid. I believe your concepts are not inspired by God.

I believe in current times this term has been co-opted by The Way International. I also believe it does not describe a Christian other than in some aspects.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Religion:
    Xian
    A Christian is one that has not read their Bible.

#28 lukethethird, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,984
    Religion:
    Christian
    No way. Read their prayer @ Acts of the Apostles 4:24-30, and tell me if they believed Jesus was God. (Twice, they called Jesus, 'God's servant.') They worshipped Who Jesus worshipped, Yahweh. -- John 20:17

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marcion

Marcion Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    A Christian is someone who has been baptised by a Christian priest and who has confessed to believe in the words of the Nicene (or a very similiar) Creed.

11. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Religion:
    Xian
    Honestly, those heretics and their beliefs, what are they thinking? I just shake my head and wonder.

12. Ponder This

Ponder This Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +397
    Religion:
    i am not
    I think that we can understand what a Christian is a bit better if we understand what the suffix -ian denotes. We don't use the word Christist, but we do use the word Buddhist. A Christian is not defined by his belief in the teachings of Christ or adherence to a doctrine. Christianity is not Christism. A Christian is defined by his relationship with Christ, that is to say the quality which he shares with Christ. The understanding of what it means to be a Christian is esoteric rather than exoteric. Just as Christianity is not a set of beliefs or doctrines, but is actually a condition or quality of being.

John 14:6:
    Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."​

13. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,350
    A christian is someone who believes Jesus as Lord and Savior; and, whatever denomination, practices the sacraments of christ.

Baptism/conversion: 1 Peter 3:21; Galatians 3:27; Luke 3:16 etc

Confession/repentance: 2 Corinthians 7:9-11 (The whole chapter actually)

Confirmation/conviction: Act 22:16; Romans 10:9-10,19; Mathew 6:9-14

The whole bible basically.

If you don't confess, what exactly are you giving up to christ in order to be saved. If you don't confirm, you can say Lord Lord but without conviction, what faith do you have in feelings or in christ. If not born again from baptism, anyone can say they follow the lord but without being renewed, what exactly does that mean.

Without these things, I would not say one is christian. However, god works through people in different ways. Regardless the denomination, I'm sure anyone who repents, confesses, confirms, and is born into change to follow christ is considered christian. I would assume it would be challenging god's methods of grace to say otherwise.

#33 Unveiled Artist, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  14. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,925
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Those who follow the path of love as Jesus taught.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,925
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Yes, those who have are called ExChristians. :)

16. GoldenThread

GoldenThread Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Christian
    Couldn't someone go through the motions of doing these rituals and still not sincerely believe in Jesus? After all, these are just rituals. God constantly condemned the Israelite's for offering sacrifices that was an abomination. Why when God asked them do so? Well, it is because they thought this ritual is what made them right with God.

I think it goes a bit deeper than doing rituals.

In peace

17. GoldenThread

GoldenThread Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Christian
    So being a Christian has nothing to do with following the teachings of Jesus? The founder of Christianity?

In peace

18. GoldenThread

GoldenThread Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Christian
    How does transforming oneself with the message of Jesus indicate that someone wouldn't be prepared to be Born Again?

Wouldn't it make sense to say someone who is not willing to transform their life according to Jesus is not prepared to receive Jesus and be Born again?

In peace

19. GoldenThread

GoldenThread Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Christian
    How does one receive Jesus as Lord and Savior? Is this the requirement that Jesus said is what we must do in order to be considered one of His disciples?

In peace

20. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,106
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Is it fun to make up etymologies?

"-ist" and "-ian" mean the same thing. One's just from a Greek root and the other's from a Latin root.

• Like Like x 1