• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Irks You Most About Threads Intended to Pit People Against Each Other?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
See those links in your post #1 . The pronoun, "you" , is your address to the forum members who may choose to read the invitation in the subject line of those two linked threads in post #1.
You are asking us to answer your two questions designed to produce emotions. Argumentum ad passiones. And conflict.
But, you know this.

They’re not my questions. They were asked by another member.

I only asked what members who may have read or participated in those threads took away from them.

Darkforbid

No, I'm not triggered, but I know a few have been in these threads.

What Irks You Most About Theists And Deists?
What Irks You Most About Atheists, Agnostics, And Non-Believers?

While I'm guilty of light participation in both, I answered both essentially the same way in each, and any further participation was strictly for the lulz.

While I read and participate in threads here primarily for the learning experience, the only thing I learned from either thread is that all forms of primates are prone to throw feces at each others.

What, if anything, did you take away from either thread?

Oh I love VS topics, but you should drop the rules for them. Makes it more fun

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
While I read and participate in threads here primarily for the learning experience, the only thing I learned from either thread is that all forms of primates are prone to throw feces at each others.
I don't see it as "pit people against each other"
For me it's about "people's actions" that are questioned

What I take away from these threads:
If people act in a way that I think is disrespectful, I better avoid those people, for I can only change myself. Them changing might takes ages

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

While I'm guilty of light participation in both, I answered both essentially the same way in each, and any further participation was strictly for the lulz.

C'mon, c'mon.

If someone like the indomitable @Skwim doesn't keep this site engaged with entertaining ─ and not always that serious ─ questions, are you volunteering to outvy him?

No one was killed, no animals suffered, no bills were unpaid, no litter was left behind. And I didn't detect any intention to injure anyone, simply to create a discussion.

ecco

Veteran Member
A debate is supposed to be about issues not about how certain groups or people annoy you

How certain groups or people annoy each other is an issue.

Most threads are about issues beyond people just annoying one another. However, if those are serious issues, people will annoy one another,

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sometimes it's not intentional. The person is just so ignorant, or insensitive, that they don't realise their own consequences.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Asking someone what irks them introduces emotion. Do you find emotion is useful in debate?
Depends. Although I would prefer the use of the word, 'passionate'.

In general I don't think emotion is entirely beneficial, especially in religious type subjects where emotions are already vested at the get go.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The only thing that irks me is people taking them seriously.
"Irk" is an odd word when you say it out loud a few times. Hmmm.

Road Less Traveled

I’d have to think that in a mature setting, mere words cannot offend. And also in a mature setting, there would be mature discussions without primate feces being flung at the other.

Most are too predictable, if one already knew all of the different tactics that will be used in any discussion. If one already knew all of the parrot programming and the nature of all of the primates. Lots of feces being flung. Every now and again, a very rare primate will come along and deviate from fellow primates and sling no feces, and be unpredictable. These primates are king’s of the jungle.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

Have you seen any debate threads that are not intended to pit people against each other?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why do you think Threads Intended to Pit People Against Each Other are necessarily negative. Each side can make positive posts supporting their argument, can't they?

But, if I wanted to have discussions with people who agree with me and I with them, I could join a knitting circle. That doesn't much to keep the neurons popping.

Also, quite often, I learn something I didn't know before. That can come from people posting on either side of an argument.

You're welcome BTW. :p