• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Irks You Most About Theists And Deists?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You said you get irked because we do not "see or experience the divine essence in life". Now you are saying you get irked because you project about what we will say. That is different.

Let me rephrase

When I'm talking about my experience about God in conversations I've had atheists have devalued my experience by questioning my cognition. Because you do not experience divine providence as I do or unable to because of perhaps empirical reasons, my experiences at least in conversations I've had are therefore just conjured thoughts based on my previous religious traditions.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Thinking about this, a couple of things occur to me.
As a gay, non-theist, white, male, living in a very Christian dominated place,

I find that the single biggest thing that irks me about revealed religion, which I am most familiar with, is the tendency to drag primitive ethics into the modern world.

From the racism and gender bigotry, to the homophobia, to the Divine Right of Kings, to that very fundamental concept of Abrahamic religion "The Chosen People". And the concept that we humans are born into a very low estate, due to the behavior of our distant ancestors, and must submit to and obey our betters hoping for some justice someday(generally after we're dead).

Oftentimes, modern Abrahamic religionists dump these Scriptural values and ethics. They do their best to retrofit modern secular morality into the ancient scriptures. That's a good thing, and quite common.

But it is not universal. Because the fundamental principle of revealed, Abrahamic, religion is to believe what self proclaimed spokesmen for God tell you to to believe. Pick the prophet you prefer, interpret his ancient writing as you prefer, and start insisting that your opinions are What God said...

That's what most irks me about theists. Attributing their personal opinions to God.

Another thing that seriously irks me about theists is their tendency to assume that everyone has their devotion to fallible human authority.
That's why "Darwinism" is such a thing. As though scientifically literate people believe in evolution because Darwin told them to do so, when we believe it because a mountain of evidence points towards "speciation through natural selection". Much of which Darwin didn't even know about, because the evidence didn't even appear until after he died. And then, mistaking Darwin for a prophet, they think that because Darwin was a Christian racist he was a racist due to science. When clearly he was a racist because he was a British Christian in the 19th century.

That's just a couple of the things that irk me about the theists who dominate the world I live in.
Tom

ecco

Veteran Member
Let me rephrase

When I'm talking about my experience about God in conversations I've had atheists have devalued my experience by questioning my cognition. Because you do not experience divine providence as I do or unable to because of perhaps empirical reasons, my experiences at least in conversations I've had are therefore just conjured thoughts based on my previous religious traditions.

If I told you I had an encounter with aliens where they came into my living room and talked with me for 4 hours, would you question my cognition?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If I told you I had an encounter with aliens where they came into my living room and talked with me for 4 hours, would you question my cognition?
False equivalence... gee whiz...

ecco

Veteran Member

False equivalence... gee whiz...
You assert that my comment is a "False equivalence", but you do not say why.

Did you read and understand both Epic Beard Man and my comments before posting?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

You assert that my comment is a "False equivalence", but you do not say why.

Did you read and understand both Epic Beard Man and my comments before posting?
Yes. I read them. I didn't say why because I thought it was obvious.

If @Epic Beard Man said "I had an experience with God where God flew into my window and we had a 4 hour conversation." Then that would be equivalent to what you said "I had an encounter with aliens where they came into my living room and talked with me for 4 hours".

Otherwise, it's a false equivalence.

ecco

Veteran Member
Yes. I read them. I didn't say why because I thought it was obvious.

If @Epic Beard Man said "I had an experience with God where God flew into my window and we had a 4 hour conversation." Then that would be equivalent to what you said "I had an encounter with aliens where they came into my living room and talked with me for 4 hours".

Otherwise, it's a false equivalence.

Nonsense. Person A sees and talks to God. Person B sees and talks to Aliens. Person C sees and talks to psychic snowflakes. All three are seeing and talking to non-entities.

It doesn't matter where the three people are. It doesn't matter if they are standing in a living room or floating on a pool raft.

Last edited:

Darkforbid

Nonsense. Person A sees and talks to God. Person B sees and talks to Aliens. Person C sees and talks to psychic snowflakes. All three are seeing and talking to non-entities.

It doesn't matter where the three people are. It doesn't matter if they are standing in a living room or floating on a pool raft.

What makes you think aliens = non-entities.?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Come on, dude. Are you intentionally misunderstanding me?

He didn't say he saw or talked to God. That's the point. Here is what he said:

Please be honest. If you read the above quote as meaning "I saw and talked to God" then you completely misunderstood.

I see this happening all the time with people who identify as Atheists. False equivalence based on assumptions which demonstrates a lack of critical thinking.

ecco

Veteran Member
Come on, dude. Are you intentionally misunderstanding me?

He didn't say he saw or talked to God. That's the point. Here is what he said:

Please be honest. If you read the above quote as meaning "I saw and talked to God" then you completely misunderstood.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait until EpicBeardMan tells us what he meant by "experience about God".

I see this happening all the time with people who identify as Atheists. False equivalence based on assumptions which demonstrates a lack of critical thinking.

Riiight! Atheists who do not believe in a whole plethora of supernatural fantasies are the ones who lack critical thinking skills.

Uh huh.

ecco

Veteran Member
who are you talking to?
Here is the not so complicated trail...

I originally responded you a post of yours.
dybmh interjected a comment.
I responded to dybmh's posts as you can see by the quote I am replying to which is immediately above my response.

Now I'm responding to you as you can see by the quote I am replying to which is immediately above my response.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait until EpicBeardMan tells us what he meant by "experience about God".

Riiight! Atheists who do not believe in a whole plethora of supernatural fantasies are the ones who lack critical thinking skills.

Uh huh.
Well.. that's what you did in this thread. So yeah. You demonstrated a lack of critical thinking.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

It would depend on the kind of experiments they carried out on you.