• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Irks You Most About Theists And Deists?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Without repeating myself what irks me about atheists is that you guys cannot see or experience the divine essence in life as I see it. God has allowed me to be fortunate enough to see this planet in such a way that is abnormal.

Why would this irk you? I would think rather that you would be overjoyed and honored to experience what others will not.

Audie

Veteran Member
More likely your imagination thinks the elusive god has created such an abnormality in you!

Nothing unusual about people thinking they are
wonderful, special, and oh so much better than
those benighted others. It is a tawdry subset of
Christianity, yes, but their effluvia would season
a mighty big srew pot!

What is so terrif about "spiritual" arrogance
is that one need make no effort, have no
accomplishment to point to, no special
skills or ability!

"God" just gives it to them!
Who is right about what a bible verse
means? The goddist, coz god grants
them special readin' powers!

And so much more like nature-appreciation,
morality- there is no way they are not better
than any one of the wrong faith- let alone a
(Shudder) atheist!

wellwisher

I my experience, most atheists dwell too much on elementary level religious education concepts. The discussion never reaches a high school or college level, so there can be an adult discussion.

For example, the atheists, in general, tend to dwell on the mythology, which is the religious training that is taught to small children. The discussion becomes school yard arguing, restricted to first grade concepts and name calling

The dynamics is like criticizing all math, based on what you learned in the first grade; add and subtract. The first grader is not aware there is much higher math, like calculus and continuum mechanics, that is used by science. The discussion does not leave addition and subtraction, since this is where the atheist religious education ended; early childhood.

I used to discuss religion in science forums. Back then if you quoted something from the bible, politics were such, you would get a warning. One was not allowed to go beyond first grade education or the atheists would panic and petition the staff to intercede. In this forum, things can go further than that, but not all the way to an adult discussion.

Darkforbid

I my experience, most atheists dwell too much on elementary level religious education concepts. The discussion never reaches a high school or college level, so there can be an adult discussion.

For example, the atheists, in general, tend to dwell on the mythology, which is the religious training that is taught to small children. The discussion becomes school yard arguing, restricted to first grade concepts and name calling

The dynamics is like criticizing all math, based on what you learned in the first grade; add and subtract. The first grader is not aware there is much higher math, like calculus and continuum mechanics, that is used by science. The discussion does not leave addition and subtraction, since this is where the atheist religious education ended; early childhood.

I used to discuss religion in science forums. Back then if you quoted something from the bible, politics were such, you would get a warning. One was not allowed to go beyond first grade education or the atheists would panic and petition the staff to intercede. In this forum, things can go further than that, but not all the way to an adult discussion.

Yep, 6000 year old earth, the flood, flat earth, gays, slaves,, after that they seem lost

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well that's your problem fallacious arguments are not automatically wrong. Thinking they are is the fallacy fallacy.

My bad. I didn't go through the whole set (my PhD obviously), otherwise I would have spotted this one. Still far too many that are so often used by the religious though.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Perhaps this is because if anything is wrong at the basic level then it is a bit pointless being more sophisticated by discussing the finer details?

Audie

Veteran Member

Tres amusant thst the one who believes in magic thinks
it is them others who have trouble growing up.

A Vestigial Mote

So, I noticed something "fun" when comparing this thread to its sister thread (what-irks-you-most-about-atheists-agnostics-and-non-believers), theists in this thread are openly bashing atheists, when the same did not happen in that original thread - that is, the atheists did not openly bash theists. Some of you theists may disagree with what constitutes "bashing," but I carefully read through each post (7 pages worth), and all that I saw were atheists in that thread questioning, defending, making positive comments about atheists, or coming back with argumentation. Feel free to post anything from that thread you consider "bashing" and I'll have a look. The closest I could come to a theist-related comment was this, overtly mild (basically neutral) post:
I have plenty of criticisms of various behaviours among certain theists, some of which vastly outrank the irritations I posted in this thread.
Which was made by another theist!

However, in this thread (only 2 pages in) we already have these shining examples of theist wisdom:

This person apparently feels that believers should routinely eliminate unbelievers. Nothing even close to this was stated about theists/theism in the anti-atheist thread:
They allow Unbelievers to live

This person is either completely confused as to which thread they are in, or just decided to take a shot at atheists because they knew a lot of atheists would probably be chiming in here:
And here we have another example from the guy who wants believers to have carte blanche to extinguish nonbelievers. It's not argumentation, not defense of theism in any way, just a statement meant to paint atheists as sophomoric, and without basis for their nonbelief:
Yep, 6000 year old earth, the flood, flat earth, gays, slaves,, after that they seem lost

I honestly don't think I need to say anything about what irks me about theists/deists. The above says loads more than I could ever formulate convincingly to any theist readers. So thanks guys.

Darkforbid

Tres amusant thst the one who believes in magic thinks
it is them others who have trouble growing up.

Well, I thought growing up made you more accepting of others beliefs. You've simply replied in a childish way, to a post about elementary level religious education concepts common to atheists

Well done have a gold star

Darkforbid

So, I noticed something "fun" when comparing this thread to its sister thread (what-irks-you-most-about-atheists-agnostics-and-non-believers), theists in this thread are openly bashing atheists, when the same did not happen in that original thread - that is, the atheists did not openly bash theists. Some of you theists may disagree with what constitutes "bashing," but I carefully read through each post (7 pages worth), and all that I saw were atheists in that thread questioning, defending, making positive comments about atheists, or coming back with argumentation. Feel free to post anything from that thread you consider "bashing" and I'll have a look. The closest I could come to a theist-related comment was this, overtly mild (basically neutral) post:

However, in this thread (only 2 pages in) we already have these shining examples of theist wisdom:

This person apparently feels that believers should routinely eliminate unbelievers. Nothing even close to this was stated about theists/theism in the anti-atheist thread:

This person is either completely confused as to which thread they are in, or just decided to take a shot at atheists because they knew a lot of atheists would probably be chiming in here:

And here we have another example from the guy who wants believers to have carte blanche to extinguish nonbelievers. It's not argumentation, not defense of theism in any way, just a statement meant to paint atheists as sophomoric, and without basis for their nonbelief:

I honestly don't think I need to say anything about what irks me about theists/deists. The above says loads more than I could ever formulate convincingly to any theist readers. So thanks guys.

Thanks I'll try to be extra irksome in future

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Well that's your problem fallacious arguments are not automatically wrong. Thinking they are is the fallacy fallacy.

If all your arguments for a claim are fallacious, you have no rational justification for believing it's true, even if you turn out to be right. That's the problem.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well, I thought growing up made you more accepting of others beliefs. You've simply replied in a childish way, to a post about elementary level religious education concepts common to atheists

Well done have a gold star

Dont be tiresome.

Geologists are not going to "accept" the
"Hydroplate theory", or any other childish woo
woo such as is characteristic of creationists.

If you or anyone else wants to study advanced
religious concepts from every religious tradition,
terrif., what is not to accept?

But if someone thinks it appropriate to
interject woo woo into a discussion of
science and find that they were ill treated
by panicy childish atheists, well they sure
have not made their case.

If there was some arcane advanced concept
that was too hard for childish atheists to
grasp, and he was shut down in panic,
terrific.

Lets hear it.

Darkforbid

If all your arguments for a claim are fallacious, you have no rational justification for believing it's true, even if you turn out to be right. That's the problem.

Which would mean you think fallacious means incorrect, it doesn't and never has

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What Irks You Most About Theists And Deists?.
I don't actually know any deists (though it's a clever idea).
In real life I get on well with most classes of theism, except (and here I answer your question)

fundamentalism.

Darkforbid

Dont be tiresome.

Geologists are not going to "accept" the
"Hydroplate theory", or any other childish woo
woo such as is characteristic of creationists.

If you or anyone else wants to study advanced
religious concepts from every religious tradition,
terrif., what is not to accept?

But if someone thinks it appropriate to
interject woo woo into a discussion of
science and find that they were ill treated
by panicy childish atheists, well they sure
have not made their case.

If there was some arcane advanced concept
that was too hard for childish atheists to
grasp, and he was shut down in panic,
terrific.

Lets hear it.

Are you actually asking me to quote another posters comments on a unnamed science forum

I thought you didn't believe in magic

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Which would mean you think fallacious means incorrect, it doesn't and never has

Wrong. Not what I said.

The issue with fallacious reasoning isn't what's correct/incorrect (in terms of truth claims). It's what we have rational warrant to believe and what we don't.