• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Inpsires You More: Holy Scriptures or Nature?

What inspires you more: Holy Scriptures or nature?

• Total voters

Aasimar

Atheist
I had to go with other, mankind's achievements are where I find my greatest inspiration. To take a creative thought and make it reality. That's awe inspiring. Though I do find much in nature to inspire my awe.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The grand canyon would indicate that nature does do something.
I wonder how all those people who lost their homes and belongings during Katrina think about the idea that nature just sits there?
It changes, yes, but how inspiring is erosion? It's a mindless process, not an accomplishment.
eudaimonia,
Mark
I wonder how all those people who lost their homes and belongings during Katrina think about the idea that nature just sits there?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason

You misunderstand me completely. I'm not saying that nature is static.

Please stop this.

eudaimonia,

Mark

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Then what did you mean?

I meant that nature doesn't accomplish anything purposefully or intelligently. Sure, rock erodes, air whips about in hurricanes, planets revolve around stars, etc, but none of this is done with any intelligent purpose or plan in mind. None of this is an accomplishment, but merely a result of a mindless process.

Nature can be beautiful, even breathtaking, but not inspiring to me because it is human accomplishments that cause me to feel inspired. I am inspired to accomplishments of my own.

Nature cannot inspire me because it accomplishes nothing. Nor do I believe in a Creator or Orderer of nature, so I cannot even be impressed by the act of Creation or Ordering. There is nothing there to inspire me to do anything or to impress me with superhuman achievement.

I hope my point is clearer now.

eudaimonia,

Mark