• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What in the world did they buy???

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Things to buy (for some people) in 2018.

The 3D thing.
The little talking servant, but I forget her name.
A new phone (because the glass on the old one broke.)
A printer that also scans.
Something for the dogs.
And the cats.
Those flying things that take pictures.
Game, games, and more games.
A bigger and better TV.
A vacuum cleaner that goes on its own.
A theft prevention arrangement.
One of those HELP! things for the old lady.
All kinds of toys for the children, but we don't know why.
Maybe a police scanner?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If paranoid isn't fun then there is no reason for it.
Paranoid doesn't need a reason.
But I prefer that some of the nastier posters here not know my real name.
As for the wonderful posters here, I'd rather that our interactions remain
in this venue. Let not the worlds of real people & disembodied people collide.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yup. That's paranoid. I love you!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
According to some news I saw today, Amazon had it's biggest shopping day ever on Cyber Monday.
Until yesterday I didn't know what a cyber Monday was (still not very clear) and I didn't buy anything. But I was wondering, what is it that people are spending so many millions on? Don't they have enough stuff already??? Don't they ever get tired of shopping? People are so weird o_Oo_Oo_O

Well i bought a new cat collar yesterday €1.87 with free shipping isnt going to make them rich and i didnt remember it was cyber monday.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Methinks you are not paranoid like some people are. I am going to tell you.

I sell buttons. I just wondered about this one purchase so I looked it up on Google Earth. And, OMG! they there have been hit by a nuclear bomb, but not really. They are BLACKED OUT! When I get where I am going, I have to remember that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Something else I don't understand... all the outlet stores, 'strip malls' (not a mall where you get strippers :D), and clusters of stores where once there were woods. There is an outlet center not far from me. I was there once, and that was because I was the driver. I have no idea what I would get there. Coming home on Thanksgiving night, 11 pm mind you, the road to get into the outlet was backed up for miles. There were police directing traffic. Fortunately we were going in the opposite direction.

There is a cluster of stores not far from my job. It's called the Shoppes at Old Bridge. Shoppes. :rolleyes: I have no idea what stores are in there, but there are cars and SAVs (Suburban Assault Vehicles) going in and out. I have no idea what I'm missing. I must be missing something in my life, because all these people are going into these places. :shrug: And how do people even know what stores are in what shopping centers? Do they spend their time looking for shopping centers?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't understand cyber so I am not interested in buying stuff that I should pay someone else to help me with it. So far, so good, I have what I think I need (and I might be wrong) but simple is best. That deserves an AMEN!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Will I get it? Probably not. And, does that prove I am God's people? Probably, yes. Amen. I love you all. I really do!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
According to some news I saw today, Amazon had it's biggest shopping day ever on Cyber Monday.
Until yesterday I didn't know what a cyber Monday was (still not very clear) and I didn't buy anything. But I was wondering, what is it that people are spending so many millions on? Don't they have enough stuff already??? Don't they ever get tired of shopping? People are so weird o_Oo_Oo_O
This is related to Black Friday which started because of the way the retail business cycle worked in the USA. Retailers borrow to buy merchandise, and then they sell at a gain. During much of the year they are 'In the Red' which means in debt. They want to be 'In the black' which means profitable. Towards December many retailers are still in the red and hold special sales on the day after Thanksgiving, not permanently lowering prices but having 'Specials'. This turns out to be a winning strategy and wins consumers who plan to look at coupons and go shopping on Black Friday. It often helps retailers and consumers, both. In addition it can be fun and a group outing.

This, then, is why Amazon has to have its own version of Black Friday to compete with retailers. Everybody in retail has specials or some kind of event at this time of year. Amazon sales though are just convenience sales and not fun.

For me Black Friday used to be a little bit fun, because we would go early and wait in line in front of a store. We might not purchase much, but the day would be researched ahead of time with coupons already cut out. Some stores gave out prizes to early comers! It was a little bit like having a hunting party! The traffic was always heavy, and the morning was always cold. We bundled up and prepared to save big, and then after we got into the stores and picked up some sale items, looked around and were tired we went and got coffee or breakfast. Fun!

So you see it is about fun, friends and doing things together; but for retailers its about trying to get into the the 'Black' well before the end of the year.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So I just want to also add that I suppose in Europe you get a kind of manic, frenzied view of how things actually work here on Black Friday. People are courteous to one another generally. There is heavy traffic, and yes there are some people who get out of sorts. In general though I have had a lot of fun getting to some store at about 1am, just behind the guys in the tents who have been in line since the day before. They have tents and coolers and have been having a sleepover in front of some place hoping to get some TV at an insanely low price. Well I'm not going to spend the night in front of a store, no way! I do enjoy hearing these folks talk, though; and talk they do! They tell us about the other times they've done this. For example one couple told me how they had waited all night to be some of the first at a Star Wars film. For them it was a lot of fun. To me it was a little much, but hey. I get there early, I lose a little sleep and have some fun stories to tell. That's Black Friday for most people. The news captures the people who are off their meds, but most of the time its just fun.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am having a nevermind moment. The daughter says that cyber just means online which means not in person. I was going to say sheets and now I can. On Cyber Monday people buy sheets and anything else that can be bought respecting Cyber Monday.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
FWIW, I've never seen any shoppers abuse one another, even during a feeding frenzy.
Btw, I'd been planning to buy a radiant electric heater for a while. It would be great
in Mr Van on cold days & nites. I finally found one at Costco for $50. So I bought it.
Oh, I was there buying new eyeglasses. It was about time.