• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What in his name? God, man, man-god, & Anthropomorphism.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes, indeed. And it also shows God's Grace, knowing we need the baby steps (Name+Form) to get to the next level (Nameless+Formless)

Hmm. You have a point to ponder you know! Thats awesome and kind of deeper than what it looks like on the surface. So I will ponder.

A Vestigial Mote

If that entity then gives me its name, I can identify it and then say: okay, I have an ID for the entity, that is, I have a form of characterization.
Based on such a characterization, I can now attempt to understand what the existence of this entity means for me.

In other words, arguably, yes, we have a need to connect with God. For this, God gave us His name and attributes and other things so we would be able to connect with Him.
But why not something else... like a telepathic signature? Some sort of feeling, or mental image/perception that washes over your mind when God addresses you? Perhaps God could provide men with a signature of their own to address Him with - I mean, if speaking the name is good enough, isn't just thinking it also good enough? Point being that God being God, wouldn't He have a better way of making an address than using the human construct of "names?" Is that the height of addressing technology, do you think? Seems more to me that humans simply defaulted to a system they already used and were familiar with.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
YHWH if derived from the word Havah means he exists.

Why YAH/YHWH | The Shalom Center asserts that YHWH if you try to pronounce it is just breathing. And further, that web page says As the Siddur (prayer-book) says, "Nishmat kol chai tivarech et SHIMCHA." ("The breathing of all life praises your Name.") For the Breathing of all life IS Your Name.

Do we really need to give God a personal name to identify him.

No. Someone I know says "That" with hand pointed upwords rather than use "God".

But there is a use for names in meditation and vocal prayer. Someone referred to this as "Chant the sweet name of God". Muslims and Zoroastrians explicitly have what are called "Names of God" .

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If you meant "who are these some who oppose this understanding of Allah means Al ilah because they believe Allah is a unique, personal name of God" then the answer is "some Muslims" and of course some "non-muslims" as well.
The ubiquitous "they" -- anecdotal and worthless.

Who, in particular? Certainly if this is problematic enough to warrant comment you should find linking to these culprits a fairly trivial task.

So, again: Who?

firedragon

Veteran Member

Who, in particular? Certainly if this is problematic enough to warrant comment you should find linking to these culprits a fairly trivial task.

If you meant "who are these some who oppose this understanding of Allah means Al ilah because they believe Allah is a unique, personal name of God" then the answer is "some Muslims" and of course some "non-muslims" as well.

By asking "in particular" you mean you want names?

Okay. There are four people I can quote who are very famous muslims. Mansur, Adnan Rashid, Hashim, Ahamed Deedat if you are interested in YouTube types. Also if you are looking for a Phd level Muslim who things this I can quote you a guy called Murie Ahamed Hassan in Australia. And if you are looking for a Christian evangelist you would find "Christian Prince" who thinks this.

Any tom, dick or harry who makes a sentence like "The God of the Bible and Allah of the Quran are two different Gods" thinks the same. And that's many. Few of them make this statement out of ignorance, some of course are aware of the linguistics but they intentionally ignore it for the pleasing of an audience. For example Ali Sina and Abdul Fadi.

There are authors like Bill Warner and Robert Spencer who thinks the same. Robert Morey used to but now he is silent on the issue after some exposure. Yet they ignore the fact that the arabic bible translates Elohim as Allah.

If you like to read a bit of a synopsis to understand further you can read Gerhard Bowering snippet in the book encyclopaedia of Islam.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Your statement is absolutely worthless because its not a ubiquitous they but a defined they.

When someone says "all soccer players are called foot ballers in some countries" they are defined as soccer players, and one does not have to name each of them all over the world. When someone has no humility to think a bit about what is being said they will look past the writing at a speck which they think is a great question to question.

Cheers.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why YAH/YHWH | The Shalom Center asserts that YHWH if you try to pronounce it is just breathing. And further, that web page says As the Siddur (prayer-book) says, "Nishmat kol chai tivarech et SHIMCHA." ("The breathing of all life praises your Name.") For the Breathing of all life IS Your Name.

No. Someone I know says "That" with hand pointed upwords rather than use "God".

But there is a use for names in meditation and vocal prayer. Someone referred to this as "Chant the sweet name of God". Muslims and Zoroastrians explicitly have what are called "Names of God" .

True. But what does that signify? Just give a synopsis if you dont mind.