1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What if

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Starlight, Nov 19, 2022.

1. MikeF

MikeF Proponent of RAEism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    Religion:
    None
    This argument is reminiscent of the chain letters that circulated in grade school where, upon receiving the letter it instructed you to copy it five times and distribute it to five other people or bad things would happen to you.

Those who feel compelled to follow the instructions of the letter are ones who would see your argument as a valid justification for worshiping a deity. My question would be how that person decides which of many deities to worship. Do they simply worship the one they fear most? Do they worship all proposed deities to fully cover all the bases?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,490
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Like Twain,

"Heaven for climate, Hell for company".

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,056
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    That'd stop those noisy airplanes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. John53

John53 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,963
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Do you accept Western Union?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,730
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    If we're hedging our bets, I think the T-Rex System(TM) is a more reasonable approach:

Dinosaur Comics!

6. sun rise

sun rise Śvāna Dharma
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,583
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    Neither do I. It's very easy to construct an intellectual "what if" for probably endless scenarios.

7. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper RF's resident Beatlemaniac. ☮ and ❤

Ratings:
    +4,159
    Religion:
    Wicca, Polytheism, and Spiritualism.
    Do you believe that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the only religions that offer valid explanations for what happens after we die?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ella S.

Ella S. Stoic Utilitarian

Ratings:
    +1,216
    Religion:
    Rationalism
    If it were true then I would go to Hell.

That said, no, it is never wise to believe in things that have not been demonstrated to be likely to be true, in my opinion.

The Abrahamic God, Eloah/Allah is not likely to exist. He's merely a corruption of the Canaanite El caused by the imprecision of generational oral tradition. El himself was a corruption of the Sumerian Enlil. Enlil was a corruption of the Proto-Indo-Eurpean Sky Deity who was likely an animistic personification of the sky. You can even see how the name morphed etymologically over the generations of transmission.

It's far more likely that Allah is merely the product of a millennia-old "operant conditioning chamber" as the legends grew more extreme and bizarre with each retelling. There's almost certainly no actual God behind any of the Abrahamic myths, As such, I think it would be unwise to believe in his existence.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I believe it is wise to believe in the one true God because that is the only God that actually exists.
    What happens to people who don't believe in Him is another matter and only God knows.

10. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I don't even think their explanations are valid, and they are all over the board. How can they all be right, that's not logical.
    The Baha'i explanation is closest to The Afterlife Revealed explanation, where we all go to different levels called spheres, depending upon our spiritual development. That explanation makes the most sense to me so I am going with that.

11. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Not necessarily, because what these religious people believe about hell is not necessarily a correct understanding of their scriptures.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    No, it would not matter.

13. Snow White

Snow White Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,391
    Religion:
    Spiritual
    To me, it makes more sense with the state of the world to believe in many less powerful gods.

If it turns out there's just one really powerful god, and he lets the things go on that he does yet is fully capable of changing them, I really wouldn't like him at all.

14. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Very true, but the converse also applies. If there is a heaven and hell, or only a heaven and no hell, and you worked to get to heaven, then you have not wasted your life.

15. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +2,694
    Religion:
    Independently religious with no affiliation
    The idea that not believing in God sends one to hell doesn't make any sense. Why would that be a condition of doom?

If heaven isn't won on deserved merit then what kind of heaven is it? It's probably not worth anything to be there.

If heaven is a free pass for rotten people then it's definitely not worth it.

Or maybe heaven is a reform school for evil people. Again, so what.

There's lots of things I don't believe in. Why is that a condition of punishment?

I don't believe in Santa Claus; why should anyone believe in anyone they have not encountered.

It's very likely that these religions were written up by ancient humans who didn't think through their conditions very well. Any human can write a book declaring heaven, and hell by any conditions they wish to set up. What makes these religions any more valid or authoritative than the average human?

When I read these books I get the strong impression that people conjured up a God, and played upon people's feelings of conscience and fear.

What if people could make their own religion

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    But that would be like having no God at all.
    That begs the question as to why would an all-powerful God change the world when humans are perfectly capable of doing that themselves?

Capability does not imply responsibility.

17. Snow White

Snow White Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,391
    Religion:
    Spiritual
    If humans or some humans are God's children, that implies responsibility.

And if God has no responsibility for anything that happens in my life, why should I possibly care about him?

And if God doesn't take responsibility, why should he be able to issue laws to follow, and have people follow them, if he's above any law and responsibility?

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. John53

John53 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,963
    Religion:
    Atheist
    So this God isn't intelligent enough to work out I'm only believing just in case?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper RF's resident Beatlemaniac. ☮ and ❤

Ratings:
    +4,159
    Religion:
    Wicca, Polytheism, and Spiritualism.
    Personally, I no longer believe what the Bible claims or teaches about the afterlife, and I no longer believe in the concepts of heaven or hell either. I've discussed what I believe about the afterlife in other threads, but I can repeat what I've said in this thread if asked.

20. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +12,235
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I do not believe it is. Belief in God is not everything, deeds also matter.
    I fully agree, heaven has to be earned.
    I fully agree, and I don't believe that anyone gets a free pass.
    Again, I agree. The Bible might have been inspired by God (?) but it was written by humans, and those humans probably had an agenda.