• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I have made preparations to survive any natural or man made catastrophe as long as it ends by two o'clock next Tuesday...

Bob the Unbeliever

How would you manage a solar flare that knocks out all electronics on earth?
Would you be able to survive when everything you are used to have in daily life stop working?

Unless the flare lasted 24 hours (very unlikely), only about half the planet would be affected.

Electronics are not *that* weak, and the vagrancies of metal buildings, mountain ranges, and other factors? Not all of it would go *boink*.

Yes, things would be chaotic for a bit, but only temporarily.

It's not like a giant meteor had stuck the planet, creating an Endless Winter for a dozen years or so, while the dust slowly drifts out of the atmosphere...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think the bigger concern is a solar flare affecting the electric pumps for our the water supply. As a species we can survive without electricity for quite a while, even if it would be massively inconvenient. But water is a must- especially for large cities and urban areas.
Yes. Billions would die.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think the bigger concern is a solar flare affecting the electric pumps for our the water supply. As a species we can survive without electricity for quite a while, even if it would be massively inconvenient. But water is a must- especially for large cities and urban areas.

The species might well survive, but I think that a lack of electricity would go well beyond simple massive inconvenience.

How much of how health and food distribution relies on electricity? The impact on jobs alone would create a lot indeed of sudden unrest. There would be many deaths and many lasting scars.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes if a solar flare of big enough size hit the earth, all power grids and electronics will cease to work, everything goes back to pre-electronic world :)
We are so dependent upon electronics for even basic things like
food, that there'd be a massive die-off just due to starvation.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Good for you,, you do need to add defensible to that list
My wife knows Tae Bo.

upload_2019-11-30_8-4-21.jpeg

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Yes, exactly. People will get panic because they do not know how to survive anymore.
The "modern" world does not understand basic survival because we have become custom to "everything works, and food and drinks are in the store, just buy it" But no that will not work when every power grid on earth has been fried.
If you ask young people today, where does the milk come from, you can actually get the answer. "From the supermarket" ????? Hellooooo the milk comes from cows, but some young people do not know this anymore.

It's true that most people wouldn't know how to survive on their own. But even if we did, most of us would die pretty quickly. Our society is dangerously centralized and dependent on transportation to supply our cities.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's true that most people wouldn't know how to survive on their own. But even if we did, most of us would die pretty quickly. Our society is dangerously centralized and dependent on transportation to supply our cities.
Yes, human beings have become dependent of others to survive, and dependent of that electricity working so they can use a computer or cellphones to find the answer to what they do not know. Society today is more or less only working because we have computers. when power is gone humans don't know basic survival

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Suppose something a lot more likely than a solar flare of epic proportions happened.

Suppose that the Gulf Stream shut down, and Europe froze while Mexico and southern USA got hit with 10 category 5 hurricanes each year.

Suppose Northern Africa got hit with huge droughts, every year for 20 years, and Europe decided that they don't want all those immigrants while dealing with their own problems. But African people keep making babies while Europeans don't.

Etc. Etc.

That's the kind of problems that the Human Family is facing, not the sun changing.
Tom

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes no fun summers. I prefer the cooler weather, but chose the heat to live in..... Silly me :)

Regards Tony

We only get 40/45c for a few weeks a year. Otherwise summer is comfortable low to mid 30s. We are going the the rainy season at the moment. Winter can be very cold, by january i expect below freezing for a month or two, then back to comfort.

Highest we've had while I've been here is 47c just for one afternoon. Lowest -18c.

It'll do for me ;-)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We only get 40/45c for a few weeks a year. Otherwise summer is comfortable low to mid 30s. We are going the the rainy season at the moment. Winter can be very cold, by january i expect below freezing for a month or two, then back to comfort.

Highest we've had while I've been here is 47c just for one afternoon. Lowest -18c.

It'll do for me ;-)

Yes we have a few months where +40 can happen, Oct through to March. Next week is forecast 40+, winter is a blessing if we get mornings under 20. Occasionally we can get single digit temps, very big high pushing up from down south. The high humidity mixed with that, well whew! I have had days of work where your boots start to fill up with perspiration, constantly wet cloths all day!

Stay happy, Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes we have a few months where +40 can happen, Oct through to March. Next week is forecast 40+, winter is a blessing if we get mornings under 20. Occasionally we can get single digit temps, very big high pushing up from down south. The high humidity mixed with that, well whew! I have had days of work where your boots start to fill up with perspiration, constantly wet cloths all day!

Stay happy, Regards Tony

That humidity would kill me. Its not desert here but its usually not bad

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That humidity would kill me. Its not desert here but its usually not bad

I was very fortunate to spend 11/2 years in the Solomon Islands. What I always consider is most of then do not have power now, or to the provision of any basic facilities :) Many have hearts of Gold. Honiara, the City is developing and it is a hive of materialism where the dollar is chased. It lacks the heart of the villages.

Regards Tony