• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How would you manage a solar flare that knocks out all electronics on earth?
Would you be able to survive when everything you are used to have in daily life stop working?

Laika

Premium Member
Would you be able to survive when everything you are used to have in daily life stop working?

My god. You mean I never have to ever use the internet again? This sounds like paradise! Where do I sign? :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My god. You mean I never have to ever use the internet again? This sounds like paradise! Where do I sign? :D
Yes if a solar flare of big enough size hit the earth, all power grids and electronics will cease to work, everything goes back to pre-electronic world :)

Laika

Premium Member
Yes if a solar flare of big enough size hit the earth, all power grids and electronics will cease to work, everything goes back to pre-electronic world :)

I think the bigger concern is a solar flare affecting the electric pumps for our the water supply. As a species we can survive without electricity for quite a while, even if it would be massively inconvenient. But water is a must- especially for large cities and urban areas.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think the bigger concern is a solar flare affecting the electric pumps for our the water supply. As a species we can survive without electricity for quite a while, even if it would be massively inconvenient. But water is a must- especially for large cities and urban areas.
Very true. But do people of today know how to survive when they can no longer use tap water or buy water in the store? what about cooking food? do people know how to light a fire in nature?

Laika

Premium Member
Very true. But do people of today know how to survive when they can no longer use tap water or buy water in the store? what about cooking food? do people know how to light a fire in nature?

I think that is more a statement of our consumer society and our dependence of technology, rather than anything specific about humans. The uncontacted tribes in the amazon will be absolutely fine and probably many remote rural areas in Siberia or Mongolia. They get along pretty much fine without much electronics based technology as it is. Their version of "civilisation" will continue. North Korea will be basically laughing at the rest of us and will probably conquer the world with it's oversized and technologically backward military. We call it communism, they call it "forward planning". ;)

images

But as for the "civilised world", all the "well adjusted people" are going to lose it when they realise the systems they've depended on their whole lives and have been trained to rely on for instant gratification have stopped working. I'm sure we'll see black Friday style scenes as people rush to the grocery store to get that last bottle of refrigerated milk. I know my parents will be on the point of rioting and civil unrest if they don't get their cup of tea in the morning when the kettle stops working. So, maybe stay out of major cities. There will be a lot of tea and coffee addicts smashing up their local costa coffee to get their buzz. Police in riot gear and with trained dogs will no doubt be called out against protesters demanding their espresso. Then day 2 will start.... :D

DimpledSingleBlackfish-size_restricted.gif

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think that is more a statement of our consumer society and our dependence of technology, rather than anything specific about humans. The uncontacted tribes in the amazon will be absolutely fine and probably many remote rural areas in Siberia or Mongolia. They get along pretty much fine without much electronics based technology as it is. Their version of "civilisation" will continue. North Korea will be basically laughing at the rest of us and will probably conquer the world with it's oversized and technologically backward military. We call it communism, they call it "forward planning". ;)

images

But as for the "civilised world", all the "well adjusted people" are going to lose it when they realise the systems they've depended on their whole lives and have been trained to rely on for instant gratification have stopped working. I'm sure we'll see black Friday style scenes as people rush to the grocery store to get that last bottle of refrigerated milk. I know my parents will be on the point of rioting and civil unrest if they don't get their cup of tea in the morning when the kettle stops working. So, maybe stay out of major cities. There will be a lot of tea and coffee addicts smashing up their local costa coffee to get their buzz. Police in riot gear and with trained dogs will no doubt be called out against protesters demanding their espresso. Then day 2 will start.... :D

DimpledSingleBlackfish-size_restricted.gif
Yes, exactly. People will get panic because they do not know how to survive anymore.
The "modern" world does not understand basic survival because we have become custom to "everything works, and food and drinks are in the store, just buy it" But no that will not work when every power grid on earth has been fried.
If you ask young people today, where does the milk come from, you can actually get the answer. "From the supermarket" ????? Hellooooo the milk comes from cows, but some young people do not know this anymore.

Laika

Premium Member
Yes, exactly. People will get panic because they do not know how to survive anymore.
The "modern" world does not understand basic survival because we have become custom to "everything works, and food and drinks are in the store, just buy it" But no that will not work when every power grid on earth has been fried.
If you ask young people today, where does the milk come from, you can actually get the answer. "From the supermarket" ????? Hellooooo the milk comes from cows, but some young people do not know this anymore.

Most of us use these technologies without understanding the science behind them. I'm typing away on this laptop, but I don't really know how pushing the keys produces the text on the screen, other than some vague reference to "electronics". I might as well say its magic given my ignorance on the subject. I think it is that ignorance that makes us so afraid of technology or being without it. There is that gap in understanding and therefore control between pushing the button and getting the result we want that leaves us wanting more from the world than we already have.

The temptation with scenarios like these is that they capitalise on a hidden sense of powerlessness, ignorance and dependence on the world. It strips away a kind of bravado and self-importance, and ironically, put's us all in the same boat. There is something strangely spiritual in that and apocalyptic thinking capitalises on smashing those illusions. Its a little intoxicating, particularly when you think you're right and everyone else is jumping off the cliff. Often this kind of things goes too far by simplifying our relationships with different parts of technology, but they can point out critical weaknesses in our civilisation.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Looking forward to it got my deckchair lined up, and sun glasses ready for when Betelgeuse the right Arm of Orion ends Soon, and then our sun is dying also - as the consistent lack of sunspot activity show.

Thus we could be looking at the whole universe collapsing, which is why it says the Son of Man is here before it all gets rolled up like a scroll; because something like a blackhole on a universal scale, would then make sense of all the prophecy of a new reality after.

For years since 2012, and looking at what Einstein agreed to on Pole-shifts, is why SpaceWeather.com is saved in my important folder.

Great documentary on the topic of Pole Reversal: Magnetic Storm - Top Documentary Films.

As for going back to nature, and living that way; that is my understanding in prophecy globally, it is there to find out who the materialistic Babylonites are, and then to keep those who want to live in harmony with nature after.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Well 40 deg days and 30 deg nights would not allow much sleep :)

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

We have power cuts often, sometimes only for a minute or few, sometimes for hours. We manage fine then because they are expected and we are prepared. We are not connected to a gas main so use bottled gas for cooking, use a wood burner and have a ready supply of torches and candles.

However an international catastrophe like a solar flair our supplies would soon run low. After that we have the benefit of being well away from major population areas and i like to think the local community would stick together for hunting (plenty of wildlife about), gathering, farming and harvesting, wood etc.

It would be tough, not much of an existence probably culminating in an early death from some currently easily curable disease.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Only if we could recover RF in less than 24 hours.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In all seriousness, I think that there would be panic followed by some irrational behavior. One of my favorite movie quotes, which I agree with wholeheartedly, is, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals..."

But I think as reality set in and people began to accept the situation for what it is, most would compose/collect themselves and come together and help one another to survive.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Keep a cloned system in the oven? I thought everyone did this these days (just remember it is there before any cooking!). :D

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Back to the basics. Water, Shelter, Food, entertainment.

Water

We have approx, 30 Gallons of potable water in the basement. The water is treated with a chlorine based product which gives it 5-6 years shelf life.

We also have rain barrels ( 150 gallons for grey water ) for washing and flushing. ( I'd rather not discuss what we would do if the city sewer system fails, but I don't think that's a problem with a solar flare ).

After we run out of that, I know how to make my own multistage - primitive charcoal water filter. I also have a simple distiller that I can setup, but it's super inefficient and takes a lot of fuel to render a small amount of water.

I live by 2 rivers, and many streams, so access to water hopefully, won't be a problem. Not sure about what happens with a solar flare though, I didn't watch the video.

Shelter

This one's pretty easy. All we need to do is stay warm and dry. I live in a mild climate ( Pacific Northwest US ) so, all we need are sleeping bags. And we've got'em

In case of radiation or dust, we have a large basement. There's only 1 large egress window and we can tape that up ( supplies are down here ). The 5-5-1 rule gives me and my family about 36 hours of air down there. I think that's enough time... Not sure though.

Food

Well, this one is tricky. We're stocked up on oatmeal for a while :) Also, I like powered eggs, so we have a lot of that. Freeze dried fruits and veggies. And some other random ramen, soup packets....

OMG I forgot to put coffee down there.... YIKES I'd better do that.

But passed that, I'm not a hunter, and I have been fishing a few times. But maybe I could barter water for food. I don't know. Again all this could be overkill for a solar flare.

Entertainment:

In the basement is my library, comic book collection, and all the family's board games.

So, in case of a solar flare, I think we're covered.

Edit: I just double checked the water, and it's a 5-6 year shelf life. I had originally posted that it was 20 year shelf life... I noticed it because I labeled the water with an expiration date when I set this all up a few years ago... and I just added some instant coffee to the supplies...

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In both cases, humans will try to survive. It will not be easy. Some will succeed, some will fail. There have been some extinction events in human history, ice-age for example. Others mention some event 70,000 years ago (Mount Toba volcanic explosion).
How Human Beings Almost Vanished From Earth In 70,000 B.C.

Darkforbid

Back to the basics. Water, Shelter, Food, entertainment.

Water

We have approx, 30 Gallons of potable water in the basement. The water is treated with a chlorine based product which gives it 5-6 years shelf life.

We also have rain barrels ( 150 gallons for grey water ) for washing and flushing. ( I'd rather not discuss what we would do if the city sewer system fails, but I don't think that's a problem with a solar flare ).

After we run out of that, I know how to make my own multistage - primitive charcoal water filter. I also have a simple distiller that I can setup, but it's super inefficient and takes a lot of fuel to render a small amount of water.

I live by 2 rivers, and many streams, so access to water hopefully, won't be a problem. Not sure about what happens with a solar flare though, I didn't watch the video.

Shelter

This one's pretty easy. All we need to do is stay warm and dry. I live in a mild climate ( Pacific Northwest US ) so, all we need are sleeping bags. And we've got'em

In case of radiation or dust, we have a large basement. There's only 1 large egress window and we can tape that up ( supplies are down here ). The 5-5-1 rule gives me and my family about 36 hours of air down there. I think that's enough time... Not sure though.

Food

Well, this one is tricky. We're stocked up on oatmeal for a while :) Also, I like powered eggs, so we have a lot of that. Freeze dried fruits and veggies. And some other random ramen, soup packets....

OMG I forgot to put coffee down there.... YIKES I'd better do that.

But passed that, I'm not a hunter, and I have been fishing a few times. But maybe I could barter water for food. I don't know. Again all this could be overkill for a solar flare.

Entertainment:

In the basement is my library, comic book collection, and all the family's board games.

So, in case of a solar flare, I think we're covered.

Edit: I just double checked the water, and it's a 5-6 year shelf life. I had originally posted that it was 20 year shelf life... I noticed it because I labeled the water with an expiration date when I set this all up a few years ago... and I just added some instant coffee to the supplies...

Good for you,, you do need to add defensible to that list