• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If You're Wrong

As an atheist, do you think Richard Dawkins answered the question in a satisfying way?

• Total voters

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
What double standards do I have? I might believe lies that are convenient at times because I am a sinner just like you. What do I have to gain by believing in Jesus? I didn't say that I had anything to gain so I wasn't expressing any double standards.
I believe that people believing lies about God existing is the same.

Skywalker

I don't believe that everyone can choose beliefs.
I can't.
But I know people who have done it to some extent.

People who are in denial choose beliefs. Sometimes when people lie they choose to believe that it's okay because it's convenient for them. What beliefs did they choose?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I am open to listen to what you and other people have to say. I believe Jesus is the only way to God but that doesn't mean I discount listening to the opinions of people who disagree with me. I wouldn't judge you for not agreeing with me.
Thanks, good to "hear"

What's your different view on who God is?
The question "who is God?" expects an answer in the form of "God = ...."
But here starts my problem, the moment I place "God" before the "=" sign, I limit "God" to what is behind the "=" sign

Hence I can understand the Wise declaring "only in Silence the Truth can be conveyed"

I also like the concept of "Neti ... neti", which means "Not this ... not this"

The Wise also declare "Solve the question 'Who Am I' will solve all other questions"
The question "Who Am I?" expects the answer in the form of "I Am ..."
"I Am who I am" can't be a coincidence in the Bible I think

The above are a few pointers showing how I think about "God"

Skywalker

Thanks, good to "hear"

The question "who is God?" expects an answer in the form of "God = ...."
But here starts my problem, the moment I place "God" before the "=" sign, I limit "God" to what is behind the "=" sign

Hence I can understand the Wise declaring "only in Silence the Truth can be conveyed"

I also like the concept of "Neti ... neti", which means "Not this ... not this"

The Wise also declare "Solve the question 'Who Am I' will solve all other questions"
The question "Who Am I?" expects the answer in the form of "I Am ..."
"I Am who I am" can't be a coincidence in the Bible I think

The above are a few pointers showing how I think about "God"

There are logical limits on who God could be. What does neti neti and silence in truth have to do with who God is? I believe in the God who told Moses that I am that I am.

stvdv

What does neti neti and silence in truth have to do with who God is?
Those are techniques given by the Saints in India to discover the Truth about God

Note: Not just India. Even Jesus (40 days) and Moses went into "silence" (see exodus)

Matthew 4:1-11
At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights and afterwards was hungry. The tempter approached and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread.

Skywalker

Those are techniques given by the Saints in India to discover the Truth about God

Note: Not just India. Even Jesus (40 days) and Moses went into "silence" (see exodus)

What do you think the saints in india learn about God from those rituals? Moses and Jesus didn't chant.

stvdv

What do you think the saints in india learn about God from those rituals? Moses and Jesus didn't chant.
I did not say "rituals". Why do you call it rituals? Or is that what you call them in Christianity?

I did not say "chant". Why do you mention "chant". Or is that what you do in Christianity?

Skywalker

I didn't say that anyone did this.

And I didn't mention that, either.

Maybe a specific example will help: Luke 6:21:

“Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
“Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.

The difference between that promise being true and it being false is a lot of hungry people who will go unsatisfied and a lot of weeping people who will stay in sorrow.

You said "if I'm wrong, I have nothing to lose." This suggests to me that you don't consider all that hunger and weeping of other people to be a loss to you.

And that's why I say that your point of view seems to be self-centered and lacking compassion.

Bible verses have a certain context. That verse doesn't mean that there won't be famine and sadness and hardship. People suffering from famine and weeping is part of life in a fallen world. Jesus didn't promise his followers a world free of those unpleasant experiences. Jesus wasn't self centered. He died on the cross for the sins of all people and he reached out to people who were rejected by society.

Skywalker

I did not say "rituals". Why do you call it rituals? Or is that what you call them in Christianity?

I did not say "chant". Why do you mention "chant". Or is that what you do in Christianity?

You mentioned techniques to discover the truth about God being done in India. That sounds like Hindu rituals or chanting.

stvdv

You mentioned techniques to discover the truth about God being done in India. That sounds like Hindu rituals or chanting.
It's not. When I mean technique, I use the word technique. When I mean ritual, I use the word ritual, when I mean chanting, I use the word chanting.

I was talking about "silence"....I am surprised you read that as "chanting"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People who are in denial choose beliefs. Sometimes when people lie they choose to believe that it's okay because it's convenient for them. What beliefs did they choose?
People who feel the need for a religious belief system
will often tell of how they survey the various options,
& embrace that which calls to them.

Skywalker

It's not. When I mean technique, I use the word technique. When I mean ritual, I use the word ritual, when I mean chanting, I use the word chanting.

I was talking about "silence"....I am surprised you read that as "chanting"

Technique is vague and has a connection to indian religious beliefs so I assumed it was a reference to chanting. Buddhist parades have chanting and Buddhism is similar to Hinduism. That's why I thought you were talking about chanting. Silence was related to the beliefs that you mentioned earlier.

stvdv

Silence was related to the beliefs that you mentioned earlier.
I did specify "silence" when replying to you in that particular case. I even specified that Jesus and Moses also use the Silence technique

What does neti neti and silence in truth have to do with who God is?