• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If You're Wrong

As an atheist, do you think Richard Dawkins answered the question in a satisfying way?

• Total voters

Audie

Veteran Member
I think in some people's bodies (brains), chemical substances create a false sense of spiritual euphoria. And it can be so powerful that chasing after it becomes an immediate obsession. I also think some people get a similar false sense of euphoria from some religious rituals, and can become equally addicted to them. I think we need to be very wary of these "shortcuts to God/heaven".

Ok now I know you are smoking something.
Its just not you to keep nailing it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I Atheism is convenient because it fits people's lifestyles.
I cannot understand the idea that one can pick a belief or non-belief
for convenience. What choice is there when one sees no evidence
or argument for believing in the various religions presented?
To reject nonsense is something that happens automatically.
One doesn't choose this, nor can one choose otherwise.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes of course. When I would want to make you a present I would ask somebody before, which flowers you like. There is no point in giving you tulips if you detest them....

yes it's very parsimonious. Here we agree.
However, the beauty on earth is a different phenomenon. Any no God explanation is zero parsimonious there, in my view.

So we have nature + God added the beauty. This what I call nice evidence for a loving Creator.

And... what does beauty have to do with Mother Goose, is that one loving, too?

if you say you have evidence for a loving creator, how would you counter my claim that there is evidence of a hating creator instead?

Ciao

- viole

PureX

Veteran Member
One doesn't choose this, no can one choose otherwise.
Well, you'd have to be able to recognize your own all-too-human propensity for bias, so that you could become skeptical of your own assessment of "evidence". Some people just do this innately. Some have learned to work at it. And some never even know it's 'a thing'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, you'd have to be able to recognize your own all-too-human propensity for bias, so that you could become skeptical of your own assessment of "evidence". Some people just do this innately. Some have learned to work at it. And some never even know it's 'a thing'.
Bias is an inherent human trait.
Citing it as a reason someone is an atheist fails to
address the utter lack of evidence or good reason
to believe in gods.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Some people have a need for evidence, some people don't.

Skywalker

I think in some people's bodies (brains), chemical substances create a false sense of spiritual euphoria. And it can be so powerful that chasing after it becomes an immediate obsession. I also think some people get a similar false sense of euphoria from some religious rituals, and can become equally addicted to them. I think we need to be very wary of these "shortcuts to God/heaven".

I think spiritual euphoria is related to being separated from God by sin and being homesick. Where do you think that obsession comes from? I think fixations oftentimes are a symptom, not the problem.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think spiritual euphoria is related to being separated from God by sin and being homesick. Where do you think that obsession comes from? I think fixations oftentimes are a symptom, not the problem.
I don't know where it comes from. There was something lacking that this false euphoria seemed to address. At least until it didn't anymore. All I know is that I am very glad to be rid of it, and rid of the obsession to chase after it.

Now, I am happy to just let God be God. and myself to be just another confused, ignorant, human. In fact I'm really very happy with that! :)

PureX

Veteran Member
Bias is an inherent human trait.
Citing it as a reason someone is an atheist fails to
address the utter lack of evidence or good reason
to believe in gods.
There are many good reasons that people choose to believe in God. And there is no "evidence" either way. So if it helps them, why not? If it helped you, why not?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You don't get to decide what are positive results for other people. We have to assume that theists remain theists because they obtain some positive result from doing so. And if you ask them, I am quite sure they will affirm this presumption.

One can put reasonable standards on positive results. If your standards are so low as to say "It makes me feel better" I guess that you might have a point. Not a very impressive one, but a point nonetheless.

PureX

Veteran Member
One can put reasonable standards on positive results. If your standards are so low as to say "It makes me feel better" I guess that you might have a point. Not a very impressive one, but a point nonetheless.
I think it's sad that you give so little credence to how other people feel. But that's your choice.

Skywalker

People believe in atheism and evolution because it fits lifestyles of people wanting to do what they want to do. Its more of a pride issue than giving up a specific behavior. Islam is convenient to believe because its about God loving a certain group of people. There isn't a choice to believe something when there is no evidence of arguement for believing it, but if you aren't thinking about the magnitude of what a belief system is about or why you believe it, its very easy to be in denial and believe its true. Rejecting nonsense happens automatically once you realize that what you used to believe is nonsense. The people in the book of Acts who used to believe in magic realized that its nonsense when they found God. I think people believe in certain beliefs a lot less than they seem-its more about a lifestyle of what belief system fits them. Magic fits people's desire to fill the void in their hearts with sensationalism.

Skywalker

It's like you're not reading the posts you reply to.

It happens quite a bit.

Jesus didn't treat people that way. Jesus mingled with and tried to help those rejected by the standards of others. Jesus was called a friend of sinners. But Jesus didn't practice affirmational inclusion. He told the prostitute to go and sin no more.

Skywalker

I don't know where it comes from. There was something lacking that this false euphoria seemed to address. At least until it didn't anymore. All I know is that I am very glad to be rid of it, and rid of the obsession to chase after it.

Now, I am happy to just let God be God. and myself to be just another confused, ignorant, human. In fact I'm really very happy with that! :)

I think people not having God a part of their life is what they sometimes lack in those situations. There are other causes, like fixations and mental illness, too. It's good that you overcame that difficulty.

What do you mean by let God be God and being confused and ignorant?