• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if *you* were God?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Lets forget about the stupid word God, and lets look at the real situation, the cosmos is all One, its all connected of course, so we as humans are also connected, but in truth there is no connections, its all ONE, you cannot add anything else to it.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
This is ridiculous. "Left" and "Right" are mutually exclusive, polar opposing ideas. "Good" and "Bad" are completely relative. In fact, Imagine a sliding scale where "cake" is on the end marked "good", a spanking is on the end marked "bad", and "standing still" appears in the middle of the two. If we take away the "bad" side, there are no more spankings, and you have only the mediocre state of "standing still" and receiving "cake". Now "bad" is "no cake". Done. "Bad" is gone, and there really isn't anything terrible about "standing still". There is no "good" defining "bad", there is only states of relative "good" in that frame of reference.

right, so we can narrow the gap between right and left and good and bad, and bring us a little closer to the oblivious existence of a Jellyfish, but they are still relative terms. Standing still while being disallowed cake, doesn't seem so bad a punishment where we have knowledge of spanking.- we know it could be worse- And enjoining cake is a little less cherished in contrast with standing still than spanking

One could argue that "fame", exceeding "wealth", less-than-sincere "adoration" and access to fast/luxury cars is not necessarily "good" - especially if a surfeit of said things ends in suicide of the person taking part (this seems sort of self evident, I would think - but maybe those are things you, yourself cherish above all others and believe to be "good"). I mentioned things like spending time doing things you love - spending time with family would be one for me, drawing, coding and doing art for my own, personal video-game projects, crafting archaic-looking objects like staffs, etc. etc. etc. I don't think I would ever tire of a life filled with these things - only the good.

Art, coding, crafts are setting yourself challenges because that's what makes us happy, not having every whim instantly satisfied is the point.

If you're like me you can get very frustrated coding, which is what makes finding solutions rewarding. I've always enjoyed writing my own games instead of playing them for that reason- it's way harder!
What sort of projects have you worked on?

Umm... I sort of said that it would in the instance of the piglet stuck in the factory farm. The other thing I meant was that the piglet who wasn't doesn't need to suffer a stint in the factory farm to appreciate his ongoing comfort.

This has no bearing on what I am talking about. Again - living a life doing the things you enjoy EXCLUSIVELY. That is what I am talking about. There is no need to bash the jellyfish anymore.

And you, I, everybody enjoys challenges. The greater the trial the greater the reward. If the reward is a beautiful oil painting that inspires all who see it- would you rather create it painstakingly all day from your own composition, trial and error, ending up weary and paint spattered, or spend 15 mins doing the same by numbers? You'd still enjoy it, but it would be less meaningful.

But there is more to challenge than personal gratification- we are unique as a species in our ability to explore, investigate, learn about the world around us. The universe tests our curiosity and ingenuity to it's limits, and just like the painting- what better way to appreciate a creation than to be challenged by it?

A Vestigial Mote

right, so we can narrow the gap between right and left and good and bad, and bring us a little closer to the oblivious existence of a Jellyfish, but they are still relative terms. Standing still while being disallowed cake, doesn't seem so bad a punishment where we have knowledge of spanking.- we know it could be worse- And enjoining cake is a little less cherished in contrast with standing still than spanking
I do understand your point about having the knowledge of spanking vs. not - and how having that knowledge of the worse state does, indeed, make you appreciate even "standing still" as a state of "good", vs. the "standing still" state being considered "bad" because it is the worse of the only 2 things you experience. That does make sense. However, my point has been that I wouldn't desire something worse in order to make me feel that "standing still" was a better state than it was. I simply wouldn't need knowledge of spankings to be comfortable with only non-threatening, non-painful experiences as my existence. I could still appreciate "better", and wouldn't necessarily have any reasons to complain when "standing still" was the order of the moment.

Art, coding, crafts are setting yourself challenges because that's what makes us happy, not having every whim instantly satisfied is the point.

If you're like me you can get very frustrated coding, which is what makes finding solutions rewarding. I've always enjoyed writing my own games instead of playing them for that reason- it's way harder!
What sort of projects have you worked on?
And I do, truly, understand your point about becoming jaded and spoiled on too much being laid at your feet, without experiencing some amount of injury to better appreciate it (not necessarily speaking of physical injury here), but I would also argue that there are those things that are "good for you" that are enjoyable - like those rewarding endeavors we've listed - that wouldn't necessarily need to have "bad" cast in there with them in order to allow them to continue being "good". Being frustrated with coding is something I wouldn't ever consider "bad" - and for the exact reasons you mentioned - once you overcome the thing frustrating you, the good that comes out of that is what it was all about anyway. So, in a way, the frustration and moment of victory being a part of the process of coding is encompassed in its overall "good" aspect.

And I got started coding on my own in QBasic way back in the day - programming simple hang-man, and 2D mazes and were drawn in a 3D frame/style (if that makes any sense), had a stint where I spent my class time programming games on my TI-83 calculator. The internet was just taking off during this time and I started programming HTML and Javascript and using that to rebuild some of those same game-types as web-pages. When Flash was gaining popularity I just had to get my hands on it, and taught myself to develop and code in its environments - and I was doing so during the time that Flash portals were all the rage and there were even contests I entered and placed a few times - even made some money. Nowadays I barely have time to devote to it. I'm currently working with my son on a simple sprite-based game in HTML5 Canvas. Great fun though, the only "bad" being that I end up having to realize I am not as clever as I would like to be. Haha...

And you, I, everybody enjoys challenges. The greater the trial the greater the reward. If the reward is a beautiful oil painting that inspires all who see it- would you rather create it painstakingly all day from

your own composition, trial and error, ending up weary and paint spattered, or spend 15 mins doing the same by numbers? You'd still enjoy it, but it would be less meaningful.

But there is more to challenge than personal gratification- we are unique as a species in our ability to explore, investigate, learn about the world around us. The universe tests our curiosity and ingenuity to it's limits, and just like the painting- what better way to appreciate a creation than to be challenged by it?

And I would say that "challenge" isn't a bad thing - in fact, you're completely right, it is what makes many of those things enjoyable in the first place - the challenge and moment of overcoming or surmounting. And I would definitely want those elements of those experiences to remain. I could just do without having to know that many members of the rest of my species are harming one another in ways that my mind couldn't have dreamt in even the worst of nightmares, or having to face my loved ones attempt to make their way through debilitating diseases, etc.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I do understand your point about having the knowledge of spanking vs. not - and how having that knowledge of the worse state does, indeed, make you appreciate even "standing still" as a state of "good", vs. the "standing still" state being considered "bad" because it is the worse of the only 2 things you experience. That does make sense. However, my point has been that I wouldn't desire something worse in order to make me feel that "standing still" was a better state than it was. I simply wouldn't need knowledge of spankings to be comfortable with only non-threatening, non-painful experiences as my existence. I could still appreciate "better", and wouldn't necessarily have any reasons to complain when "standing still" was the order of the moment.

And I do, truly, understand your point about becoming jaded and spoiled on too much being laid at your feet, without experiencing some amount of injury to better appreciate it (not necessarily speaking of physical injury here), but I would also argue that there are those things that are "good for you" that are enjoyable - like those rewarding endeavors we've listed - that wouldn't necessarily need to have "bad" cast in there with them in order to allow them to continue being "good". Being frustrated with coding is something I wouldn't ever consider "bad" - and for the exact reasons you mentioned - once you overcome the thing frustrating you, the good that comes out of that is what it was all about anyway. So, in a way, the frustration and moment of victory being a part of the process of coding is encompassed in its overall "good" aspect.

And I got started coding on my own in QBasic way back in the day - programming simple hang-man, and 2D mazes and were drawn in a 3D frame/style (if that makes any sense), had a stint where I spent my class time programming games on my TI-83 calculator. The internet was just taking off during this time and I started programming HTML and Javascript and using that to rebuild some of those same game-types as web-pages. When Flash was gaining popularity I just had to get my hands on it, and taught myself to develop and code in its environments - and I was doing so during the time that Flash portals were all the rage and there were even contests I entered and placed a few times - even made some money. Nowadays I barely have time to devote to it. I'm currently working with my son on a simple sprite-based game in HTML5 Canvas. Great fun though, the only "bad" being that I end up having to realize I am not as clever as I would like to be. Haha...

And I would say that "challenge" isn't a bad thing - in fact, you're completely right, it is what makes many of those things enjoyable in the first place - the challenge and moment of overcoming or surmounting. And I would definitely want those elements of those experiences to remain. I could just do without having to know that many members of the rest of my species are harming one another in ways that my mind couldn't have dreamt in even the worst of nightmares, or having to face my loved ones attempt to make their way through debilitating diseases, etc.

I appreciate also that it's not a black and white issue, and I take your point; you and I certainly do not crave adversity to make us happier.. but we do wish for something better than certain alternatives because of our knowledge of them, for us and our loved ones. We know nothing lasts for ever- we know we might end up being the pig in the farm again one day
Yes that's where it gets tricky- in coding, our minor frustrations may be aleviated, even if it's at 5am... when we finally realize that we were wrong- not the computer! and it's all good- but in the grand scheme of things these are minor trials and victories- slight in contrast- compared to say the effort put in to pass exams and the tremendous relief?- the grinding work put in to keeping family, home, life, soul together- just getting home tired to have that one beer can be extacy, sitting around drinking as much as you like all day? not so much-
wow- Qbasic! I used it quite a bit for a while , I think it was limited to 16k at one point? I've used a few languages for very boring commercial data management applications a ways back, I probably didn't get into browser/web based stuff as much as I should have- difficult to keep up with sometimes. But for fun- my all time favorite is Blitz3D- if you havn't tried it I'd highly recomend it- great support, very powerful, fast for a Basic language compiler- they (BlitzBasic) also have something called Monkey for smart phones/tablets etc..
That's always been the toughest question, the toughest test for people's faith throughout the ages, it's very hard for any of us to rationalize personal tragedy or the horrors we see commited as being in any way good for anything- but again we do care, we are horrified we are aware of evil- we want to chose good all the more because of it- I think there is purpose in there. None of us are getting out of here alive and it's probably not going to be very pleasant- but would we trade off all the tragedy, grief, pain we experience- if it diminished the greatest moments of love, delight, joy also? debatable- but that's what we're here for!

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I were an omnipotent and omniscient transcendent being of some sort, I would no longer be "me".

What I would do as a random mammal that evolved on Earth suddenly given omnipotence, would likely be very different than whatever I'd do if I had access to all knowledge.

Underhill

As a wise man once said, "I'd do two chicks at one time man!"

But seriously, mass transit needs to be improved. On time, light rail between the stars. Give people a bit of perspective on how small we really are and introduce them to the neighbors while were at it...

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
LOL I'd be so brutal probably.
I'm not a kind person by nature, nor do I like other people within 20ft of me.
But at the very least I would make it known that I was/am God.
Wouldn't just leave it up to question like it is now.

Also I'd probably help science advance quite a ways, triple lifespans, so on and so forth.
I'd also take away a humans ability to be affected by dense gravity, #JupiterLyf
I'd prevent any serious diseases, especially in children.
Kids dying is not something I promote (obvious jab at religion).

Lastly I would provide a safe mode of transportation through space, 100% will not kill you.
Along with that, above-light-speed technology, basically teleportation.
Be anywhere you want to be, why not?
The whole universe is out there so go freaking explore it.

That's all that immediately came to mind, might add more later.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Bad at maths is right. If you were a God, you might have to earn it by earning Algebra 36 knowledge, not just automatically know how everything works..

Also, I can’t help but wonder if some of you, when you say you would make yourselves visible, in the same breath spite an imaginary God for not making himself known.

In the Old Testament, “God” makes himself known to the people, and they make a golden calf. What are God’s options if revealing himself might make people rebel? Would you rebel if there was a God who revealed himself? Think about it.

“What if *you* were God?”
For instance, what would you ask/demand of your people

Rule 1 : Thou shalt not kill.

Rule 2 : No, really, I mean it. Not as a soldier, not as a police
officer, not as an executioner. Not even in defense of your self or
your children. Take no action that recklessly endangers the life of a
sentient being, without their undeceived and uncoerced consent.

Rule 3: In fact, don't deceive people. Even if you think it is for
their own benefit. Especially, try to avoid deceiving yourself.

Rule 4 : And while you're at it, try to avoid the coercion thing too.
Go out of your way to not to hurt people at all. And if you do find
yourself in a situation where at least some people will get hurt and
you are the one with the power to determine who, or where if someone
isn't coerced a bit, they're going to harm lots of other people, try
to minimise the total harm, and have the humility to take all the
precautions you can (such as consulting with your community) to ensure
that you're not deceiving yourself into thinking you're doing
something for the greater good when in fact you're not, or there's a
better solution.

Rule 5 : Harm is not just physical but, while we're talking about
physical harm, let me just specify that the only physical coercion
acceptable is the minimum amount required to arrest and detain. Rape,
torture, beating, or any form of physical punishment is right out.

Rule 6 : The natural resources of the Earth, including the biosphere,
the environment and all the genetic diversity therein, belong to Me.
I lend them to you only, so that you may improve them, to the benefit
of future generations. If you break it (or pollute it), you fix it.
That's why I gave you a brain; not to worship, but so you can learn,
improve, fix and create - tidy up your own messes. That's the
difference between a house and a home.

Rule 7 : Which is not to say that property is theft. You own your
body and, for the duration of your lifespan, all the improvements you
spent your time to make. However, when you give your undeceived and
uncoerced word, you should intend to keep it, else you are guilty of
deception, so if you consent to join a society and accept its rules,
it is not theft if, according to those rules (or any other freely
agreed to contract), some portion of your belongings are removed. In
general, though, don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, don't break your
word. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Try always to behave
with impeccable integrity and, when you fail, do your best to put
things right. Take responsibility for the consequences of your own
actions.

Rule 8 : Love all that you can. Your ability improves with practice,
and loving one person doesn't reduce the love you have for another.
Sex, by the way, though great fun and nothing to be ashamed of, isn't
the same as love. Don't confuse them. I'm sorry to say there is no
afterlife, only the reputation you leave behind you, so be generous,
because you can't take physical goods with you when you die. Return
wisdom for stupidity, kindness for hatred, gentleness for violence,
understanding for intolerance, and truth for lies.

Rule 9 : That last one is important. It is insufficient to just avoid
deceiving people. You must actively stand up for truth. Avoiding
killing and selfish force does not reduce the duty to stand up to
tyranny, or that you should enable the greedy, cruel and selfish.
Oppose them, but let truth and community be your weapon. They do not
understand the power of these things, even when wielded with kindness
and understanding.

Rule 10 : There is no one meaning to life, and suspect anyone who
tells you there is, including Me. This rules is left blank, because
this ruleset is just training wheels on a bicycle. They are not writ
in stone (though they're a pretty good starting point). They're to
provide you guidance until you've developed sufficient moral sense to
improve and go beyond them. By their fruit ye shall know them. Put
your OWN rule here, and let doing what thou wilt be the whole of thy
law.

what would you give them?
A universe in which one person can't physically harm another person without their consent.

And by "can't" I don't mean "may not". I mean it would be a law of physics and the nature of causality. Rape would be as impossible as baby trying to send a stuffed bear to the sun by kicking it from a play pen on the Earth's surface.

Kfox

You know I like to throw curve balls and make you use your imagination, and I’m sure half of you will show my question invalid, but I would enjoy a thread called “What if *you* were God?” Feel free to say whatever you want, be creative, and use whatever definition of “God” you want.

For instance, what would you ask/demand of your people and what would you give them?
I would make it an act of blasphemy (unforgivable sin) to use my name to kill, or even harm another. I can imagine the evil averted had such been one of the commandments.