• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if life on earth never returned to pre-Coronavirus life?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I thought to post this because I was listening to Christian radio and the DJs were laughing and joking and talking about the “first thing” they will do when life returns to “normal” as if life is ever going to be the same. Granted, it might return to a semblance of normality but I do not think life on earth will ever be the same as it was before this pandemic. Granted, I do not know what other people are thinking just from a few comments they make on the radio. However, I tend to think that some people believe that life will return to normal whereas some people probably think life will never be the same. I also think most people would like to see life return to normal although a few people might not want to see that happen because they see some positives that have come about as a result of this pandemic.

Since psychology is my other hat and one I wore a lot longer than my religion hat I tend to analyze people and why they think and do what they think and do.

Probably the people who would like to see life return to normal are people who have a happy and settled life with friends and family and lots of fun activities they enjoy outside the home. It only makes sense that people who lost their jobs or were temporarily laid off would like to see their lives return to normal, but many people like the DJs who are still working say they miss social activities like going to church, weddings, graduations, even birthday parties, and going out to eat at restaurants or to the movies. I am sure some people also miss being able to travel.

But what would happen to those people who are “waiting” for life to return to normal if life never returned to normal (pre-Coronavirus)? What if they could not have all the material things they want and all the fun activities they enjoy so much? Would more people turn to God and spiritual things or would they just get depressed or angry and possibly turn to substance abuse?

Given so many people were distraught about not being able to get toilet paper, I can only imagine what they would do if they could not have all the other things Americans and others in industrialized countries take for granted.

Of course this is all hypothetical. Any of you who are regulars on this forum knows that Trailblazer loves hypothetical scenarios.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Eh I think something eye opening needed to happen to change politics. It kind of did when Republicans and Democrats got together on a 96-0 economic relief bill and got it passed. And both sides had to grit their teeth at some of the ideas. Had there not been a coronavirus, such a bill could never have been agreed on. And I see party lines diminishing in favor of common sense, to the point where in 10-20 years, it may not matter what party someone is for. Had it not been for the coronavirus, we might have had much bigger problems to solve. Now, we hear stories of the Democrat minority leader of the Senate working out deals with Republican Presidents.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What is normal has changed after every major historical event. Life after WWII was not the same as before. Life after the Cold War was different. Life after 9/11 was different. It will be different this time.

I think @KAT-KAT is more correct than not after the dust settles. And it's not only politics. Many people are asking "how can I help" and the cooperation among scientists and medical people is a wonder to behold.

But I also think it will take time for the proverbial dust to settle. Now that it's happened, people are more likely to wonder "what if next time is worse" and want all the obvious problems addressed.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
New Eh I think something eye opening needed to happen to change politics. It kind of did when Republicans and Democrats got together on a 96-0 economic relief bill and got it passed. And both sides had to grit their teeth at some of the ideas. Had there not been a coronavirus, such a bill could never have been agreed on. And I see party lines diminishing in favor of common sense, to the point where in 10-20 years, it may not matter what party someone is for. Had it not been for the coronavirus, we might have had much bigger problems to solve. Now, we hear stories of the Democrat minority leader of the Senate working out deals with Republican Presidents.
So you see some positive things coming out of this. I see good things for the world coming out of this and I think those will continue into the future, so even though it is impacting me personally I try not to think about those things.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is normal has changed after every major historical event. Life after WWII was not the same as before. Life after the Cold War was different. Life after 9/11 was different. It will be different this time.

I think @KAT-KAT is more correct than not after the dust settles. And it's not only politics. Many people are asking "how can I help" and the cooperation among scientists and medical people is a wonder to behold.

But I also think it will take time for the proverbial dust to settle. Now that it's happened, people are more likely to wonder "what if next time is worse" and want all the obvious problems addressed.
That is a good point. Life changes after every major historical event. WWII is a good example because it was a world war, just as this virus has affected every corner of the globe. In that way I think those were both a bigger deal than 911.

After Trump got elected I think America knew that American politics would never be the same, and now we have the compound effect with the virus, but I think it is a good thing that politics is finally going to change.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
New I don't think things will go back to how they were, it's kinda obvious
Obvious to you and me, but not obvious to those who want things to go back to how they were.
But we don't always get what we want. ;)

I don't really want anything that most people want, I am just a bit unsettled. But since I was already living one day at a time before this pandemic, I just continue to do so.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Everyone interested in this topic would do really well to do a little background reading on human nature. There's a ton of literature on the subject, but two of my very favourites are "On Human Nature" by David Hume, and "On Human Nature" by Edward O. Wilson.

I think that, because we are all human, it's not a bad idea to take Socrates's advice to "know thyself."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Life returned to normal after the 1918-1920 flu pandemic with the death of 50,000,000 plus. I do not see any reason why it will not with this one. This in reality is not the big one. We will have to wait and see.

If the big one hits and ducks the vaccine like the H1N1 in 2009 it will be all over the world like the 1918 -1920 likely before a new vaccine can be developed

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
One effect this pandemic has had upon me is that I am thinking less about God and religion, in the sense of praying and practicing my religion. The only aspect of religion I now think about is the new world order Baha'u'llah wrote about since that is staring me in the face daily. Over 150 years ago, Baha'u'llah wrote:

“Beseech ye the one true God to grant that all men may be graciously assisted to fulfil that which is acceptable in Our sight. Soon will the present-day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead. Verily, thy Lord speaketh the truth, and is the Knower of things unseen.” Gleanings, p. 7

“The world’s equilibrium hath been upset through the vibrating influence of this most great, this new World Order. Mankind’s ordered life hath been revolutionized through the agency of this unique, this wondrous System—the like of which mortal eyes have never witnessed.” Gleanings, p. 136

I have been a Baha'i for over 49 years and I have been waiting to see this new world order. Given my age, I did not know if I would see it before I died, but I guess God had other ideas. I am really happy to see the changes that are taking place in the world even though it has disrupted many lives, including my own. My life was already very unsettled before this pandemic broke out, and now this pandemic has really disrupted my life even more, including my tentative plans to retire within a few months, because I cannot make a big decision like that when this if going on.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I thought to post this because I was listening to Christian radio and the DJs were laughing and joking and talking about the “first thing” they will do when life returns to “normal” as if life is ever going to be the same. Granted, it might return to a semblance of normality but I do not think life on earth will ever be the same as it was before this pandemic. Granted, I do not know what other people are thinking just from a few comments they make on the radio. However, I tend to think that some people believe that life will return to normal whereas some people probably think life will never be the same. I also think most people would like to see life return to normal although a few people might not want to see that happen because they see some positives that have come about as a result of this pandemic.

Since psychology is my other hat and one I wore a lot longer than my religion hat I tend to analyze people and why they think and do what they think and do.

Probably the people who would like to see life return to normal are people who have a happy and settled life with friends and family and lots of fun activities they enjoy outside the home. It only makes sense that people who lost their jobs or were temporarily laid off would like to see their lives return to normal, but many people like the DJs who are still working say they miss social activities like going to church, weddings, graduations, even birthday parties, and going out to eat at restaurants or to the movies. I am sure some people also miss being able to travel.

But what would happen to those people who are “waiting” for life to return to normal if life never returned to normal (pre-Coronavirus)? What if they could not have all the material things they want and all the fun activities they enjoy so much? Would more people turn to God and spiritual things or would they just get depressed or angry and possibly turn to substance abuse?

Given so many people were distraught about not being able to get toilet paper, I can only imagine what they would do if they could not have all the other things Americans and others in industrialized countries take for granted.

Of course this is all hypothetical. Any of you who are regulars on this forum knows that Trailblazer loves hypothetical scenarios.

You know hypotheticals are against RF common laws. One can only think so far out the box without being afraid they can't get back in.

On that note, most likely things would turn back to "normal" in a more local sense. There won't be security guards blocking off the toilet paper ailes (kid you not) and we can walk to our cars without getting a fine. So, in that sense, I believe so.

Psychologically, though, anyone that hasn't been in any "historical-like" crisis (to us isolated folks in America) and/or haven't been around and raised people who have, would probably stay bent out of shape for a good while.

If things didn't turn back to normal, I'm not sure how most would react outside of assumptions. People would probably need mental health care if push comes to shove.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Life returned to normal after the 1918-1920 flu pandemic with the death of 50,000,000 plus. I do not se any reason why it will not with this one. This in reality is not the big one. We will have to wait and see.
Thanks Frank. Indeed, human beings are very resilient and I can only hope the economy follows suit. I guess I will just have to hang onto my hat and try to be a good little Baha'i, detached from the world and all that therein. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Psychologically, though, anyone that hasn't been in any "historical-like" crisis (to us isolated folks in America) and/or haven't been around and raised people who have, would probably stay bent out of shape for a good while.
Imo, if people are not at all bent out of shape by this there has to be something psychologically wrong with them as they would have to be completely detached from their feelings. There are people like that, they live for the material world. It is those people I wonder about, what would happen if things did not return to normal?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Everyone interested in this topic would do really well to do a little background reading on human nature. There's a ton of literature on the subject, but two of my very favourites are "On Human Nature" by David Hume, and "On Human Nature" by Edward O. Wilson.

I think that, because we are all human, it's not a bad idea to take Socrates's advice to "know thyself."
Thanks, there are a lot of intelligent and well-educated people on this forum. I can always count on them. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"What if life on earth never returned to pre-Coronavirus life?": Life never returns to anything. It moves on.
The only aspect of religion I now think about is the new world order Baha'u'llah wrote ..
Knew it, it is so obvious with Bahais, whether it is a world war or an apocalypse.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Knew it, it is so obvious with Bahais, whether it is a world war or an apocalypse.
You are wrong about that. Right now it is "business as usual" for most American Bahais, so they are continuing with their regular meetings and prayers online. I am the odd man out because I do not care about "worshiping God" at a time like this.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Thanks Frank. Indeed, human beings are very resilient and I can only hope the economy follows suit. I guess I will just have to hang onto my hat and try to be a good little Baha'i, detached from the world and all that therein. ;)

Things like pandemics even world wars may appear to be totally negative, but they may encourage world cooperation.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets suppose for sake of your question that the Coronavirus starts to rapidly mutate and learn to reinfect. This will change humanity permanently. People in the future will be different. For example they may have a life expectancy of only 40 years.

Humanity will react if this happens. We'll pour our lives and resources into fighting viruses.

I think this is not what will happen. Instead we will slow the virus and manage it, until we can start living again. We'll get better and faster at making syrums, and the debate will be about who pays for researching the syrums.