• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Jesus came back as a Buddhist?

Popeyesays

blueman said:
What are you following me from thread to thread to take your shots? Give it a break! If you do not believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the only source of salvation and redemption, that's your free will and you have nothing to lose, do you?
I guess this is the perfect example of how the concept offered in the thread could shatter the faith of an individual who clutches to "exclusive Christianity"? Christ condemned no one. God is the source of life both earthly and eternal. Why would Jesus OR God deny eternal life to a Buddhist, or a Jew, or a Muslim, or a Baha`i, or a Parsee, or a Jain, or a Hindu, or a Sikh, or an animist, or a Mandean, or whatever?

Regards,
Scott

blueman

God's Warrior
Popeyesays said:
I guess this is the perfect example of how the concept offered in the thread could shatter the faith of an individual who clutches to "exclusive Christianity"? Christ condemned no one. God is the source of life both earthly and eternal. Why would Jesus OR God deny eternal life to a Buddhist, or a Jew, or a Muslim, or a Baha`i, or a Parsee, or a Jain, or a Hindu, or a Sikh, or an animist, or a Mandean, or whatever?

Regards,
Scott
Ah, but Christ did condemn a number of times during His ministry. He talked about hell on numerous occasions throughout the New Testament. Secondly, Christ acknowledged that He was the only souce of salvation (John 14:6), not Budda, Baha' i, Muhammed or anyone else for that matter. :bounce

Popeyesays

blueman said:
Ah, but Christ did condemn a number of times during His ministry. He talked about hell on numerous occasions throughout the New Testament. Secondly, Christ acknowledged that He was the only souce of salvation (John 14:6), not Budda, Baha' i, Muhammed or anyone else for that matter. :bounce
How many, many times have I seen exclusivists cite single verses and expect it to win an argument.

Here it is in context: "
John 14

Jesus Comforts His Disciples

1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."
Jesus the Way to the Father

5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

He says there were already many mansions and many rooms - salvation for those who followed the Prophet of God when He wore a different face - Jews, Zoroastrians, Hindus, the followers of Noah, Lot, Jacob - the many rooms for all of them. NOW He goes to prepare a place for His own followers in heaven. Did you think that meant all the people there before got evicted?

Jesus was indeed the way, the truth and the life for the Apostles and all who lived in those days. Before Jesus Zoroaster was the way, the truth and the life, as was Moses, Abraham, Noah, Jacob, Krsna. You see INCLUSIVE salvation, not EXCLUSIVE salvation.
God wants us all to know and worship Him, not just the followers of Jesus of NAzareth.

As time passed the Prophet of God returned in a new Vessel - Muhammed, then the Bab and Baha`u'llah. As is said in Revelations - "He will write His name on a white stone, and no man knows the name." (paraphrase) In the latest instance the name on the stone is "Baha`u'llah". But that's my own belief, you are not obligated to accept it. But my belief includes everyone in heaven, not just those who agree with me. I like it better that way, I think God prefers it too.

Regards,
Scott

mr.guy

crapsack
I'm sorry popey, but didn't god's second and third covenent only apply to the jews? I thought judeism was an exclusivist religion; not to say they had a lock on god, but certainly some pre-ordained, hebrew-only benefits for compliance.

Popeyesays

mr.guy said:
I'm sorry popey, but didn't god's second and third covenent only apply to the jews? I thought judeism was an exclusivist religion; not to say they had a lock on god, but certainly some pre-ordained, hebrew-only benefits for compliance.
You can convert to Judaism. Judaism does not deny that a man can be righteous in the sight of God without being a Jew, a gentile can follow the Noachid laws and be righteous, so it is not exclusivist.

In the new testament, in the tenth chapter of Acts after verse 20 the term "righteous man" is applied to a non-Jew and a non-Christian.
"

17While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon's house was and stopped at the gate. 18They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Simon, three[a] men are looking for you. 20So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them."

21Peter went down and said to the men, "I'm the one you're looking for. Why have you come?"

22The men replied, "We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to have you come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say." 23Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests. Peter at Cornelius' House

The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the brothers from Joppa went along. 24The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26But Peter made him get up. "Stand up," he said, "I am only a man myself."

27Talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28He said to them: "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. 29So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?"

30Cornelius answered: "Four days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31and said, 'Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.' 33So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us." 34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. 36You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him. " NIV

Regards,
Scott

Master Vigil

Don't hold your breath Master Vigil. :bounce
See what I mean? Why would Jesus come back and follow his followers? If anything, he will come back not as any religion. However, I can certainly hope that Jesus shakes things up like he did the first time. :D

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Master Vigil said:
Well... What if?? I mean, what if Jesus truely did come back, and this was beyond any doubt. And he was a buddhist, or any other religion for that matter. Would that shake a christians faith?
Not if you're a Christian who isn't all caught up in religion. You can strip away my religion...my church...but you can't take away my faith. :)

Deut 13:1

Master Vigil said:
Well... What if?? I mean, what if Jesus truely did come back, and this was beyond any doubt. And he was a buddhist, or any other religion for that matter. Would that shake a christians faith?
That's like saying, what if the bible said pork was okay?

Master Vigil

dawny0826 said:
Not if you're a Christian who isn't all caught up in religion. You can strip away my religion...my church...but you can't take away my faith. :)
So if Jesus came back saying that the Bible is just a book, nothing more. And that god more resembles Tao than the Judeo Christian Concept. You would be on board? If you say yes, you have won my full respect. (I guess that may not mean much to you. But I thought I needed to say that.)

Master Vigil

Deut 13:1 said:
That's like saying, what if the bible said pork was okay?
Not really, because the bible already says that pork is not. But the future isn't already written down. The what if's, can certainly become reality.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think this thread is indicative of the difficulties facing a returning Christ. What a challenge entering a world where everyone is an expert. First off, you would have to admire her/his courage.
Second, he/she would have to have a very thick skin. It would be an incredible uphill battle from the get go just to get beyond people's preconceived notions of what he/she should be.

Master Vigil said:
Not really, because the bible already says that pork is not. But the future isn't already written down. The what if's, can certainly become reality.
Leviticus 11:
2. Speak to the children of Israel, saying: These are the creatures that you may eat among all the animals on earth:

3. Any animal that has a cloven hoof that is completely split into double hooves, and which brings up its cud that one you may eat.

4. But these you shall not eat among those that bring up the cud and those that have a cloven hoof: the camel, because it brings up its cud, but does not have a [completely] cloven hoof; it is unclean for you.

5. And the hyrax, because it brings up its cud, but will not have a [completely] cloven hoof; it is unclean for you;

6. And the hare, because it brings up its cud, but does not have a [completely] cloven hoof; it is unclean for you;

7. And the pig, because it has a cloven hoof that is completely split, but will not regurgitate its cud; it is unclean for you.

Deut 4
2. Do not add to the word which I command you, nor diminish from it, to observe the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Duet 13
1. Everything I command you that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it.

Seems pretty clear to me, pork is forbidden.

Now, if you choose to ignore parts of the bible that clearly say it's wrong, then good for you, but the rest of us, who choose to live in reality, will continue to urge you to practice your reading comprehension via phoenix game.

Master Vigil

When I said "the bible already says that pork is not", I meant not good. Which you clearly have shown. I'm sorry you took it to mean the opposite. But still, the future is not written. So my "what if" is not comparable to pork being ok.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Master Vigil said:
So if Jesus came back saying that the Bible is just a book, nothing more. And that god more resembles Tao than the Judeo Christian Concept. You would be on board? If you say yes, you have won my full respect. (I guess that may not mean much to you. But I thought I needed to say that.)
If I KNEW in the very core of my spirit that I was TRULY looking at my Lord and Saviour and had absolutely no doubt in my heart...you betcha.:D

Hypothetically, speaking, of course.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What if the returning Christ proclaimed that The Bible was good for its day, but the time had come to lay it aside, much like a cherished old sweater? What if he had something stunning and new to impart?

Would you take a chance and look into the Light or would you stubbornly refuse to look up from your books?

dawny0826 said:
If I KNEW in the very core of my spirit that I was TRULY looking at my Lord and Saviour and had absolutely no doubt in my heart...you betcha.
Outstanding answer. :)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
YmirGF said:
What if the returning Christ proclaimed that The Bible was good for its day, but the time had come to lay it aside, much like a cherished old sweater? What if he had something stunning and new to impart?

Would you take a chance and look into the Light or would you stubbornly refuse to look up from your books?
I think any Christian would doubt an entity which proclaims that we should abandon our Bibles.

But if I felt spiritual confirmation that I was indeed face to face with my Saviour...you betcha...I'd follow...

Hypothetically, speaking.:D

Master Vigil said:
When I said "the bible already says that pork is not", I meant not good. Which you clearly have shown. I'm sorry you took it to mean the opposite. But still, the future is not written. So my "what if" is not comparable to pork being ok.
Okay, fine, let me rephrase it, your question is similar to, "What if pizza could talk to me?"