• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if I'm wrong????

Abram

Abraham
[SIZE=+0]The more I think I understand God and what he wants of me the more I realize I don't even have a clue to the mystery of who he is. I'm only 100% sure of one thing, that there is a God. Thats it! So when I come here in my little Christian world to "share my opinions" its my opinions that tell a Jew that Jesus is God, a gay is wrong, evolution is a hoax, and Mormons arent Christian? I'm here behind this computer screen passing judgement on all these people and beliefs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
Matthew 7:3-5
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

This is me! What am I doing? How can I be so certain I'm right? I can't! If Jesus isn't God I'm telling people to worship a false God, if being gay really is a natural thing, I'm going against Gods creation. If Mormons are right I'm talking people out of it, if naturalism is correct I'm making false claims. Who am I to send people away from the real God. What right do I have to speak for him. None!

I can only worry about me, my walk with God! That way when it comes to an end and the truth is laid before us, I can only be accountable for me. If I have to spend eternity in hell with the people I sent there on false claims that would truly be hell. I know I'm to go and spread the gospel, but that isn't telling people what to believe, it's living my life in my beliefs and when someones asks why do I seem so happy and content, I'll share what works for me.

This is in no way running down this site or the folks that come here. This is a great tool that helps open the minds of so many people to all the views we have to choose from.
[/SIZE]

robtex

Veteran Member
Abram said:
[SIZE=+0]The more I think I understand God and what he wants of me the more I realize I don't even have a clue to the mystery of who he is. I'm only 100% sure of one thing, that there is a God. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]

Doesnt' the first sentence contradict the second sentence? It is good you realize you must work from what you know. No point in acting like the ambassador for something you are not sure that you understand. In the end being good to one another and living in a community is the most reasonable course of action given what we do know of our existance.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Abram said:
[SIZE=+0]The more I think I understand God and what he wants of me the more I realize I don't even have a clue to the mystery of who he is. I'm only 100% sure of one thing, that there is a God. Thats it! So when I come here in my little Christian world to "share my opinions" its my opinions that tell a Jew that Jesus is God, a gay is wrong, evolution is a hoax, and Mormons arent Christian? I'm here behind this computer screen passing judgement on all these people and beliefs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

This is me! What am I doing? How can I be so certain I'm right? I can't! If Jesus isn't God I'm telling people to worship a false God, if being gay really is a natural thing, I'm going against Gods creation. If Mormons are right I'm talking people out of it, if naturalism is correct I'm making false claims. Who am I to send people away from the real God. What right do I have to speak for him. None!

I can only worry about me, my walk with God! That way when it comes to an end and the truth is laid before us, I can only be accountable for me. If I have to spend eternity in hell with the people I sent there on false claims that would truly be hell. I know I'm to go and spread the gospel, but that isn't telling people what to believe, it's living my life in my beliefs and when someones asks why do I seem so happy and content, I'll share what works for me.

This is in no way running down this site or the folks that come here. This is a great tool that helps open the minds of so many people to all the views we have to choose from.
[/SIZE]
I would pray:shout . Ask God that He'll guide you to the truth, and that you'll be able to find the answers you're looking for. If you do this, make sure that you have an open mind and most importantly listen to your thoughts after your prayers. It may take time, but answers will come.

maggie2

Abram said:
There is no answers, only more questions:sarcastic

That's what I discovered too. The more questions I get an answer to the more questions I have that crop up that I want answers to. Hang in there, Abram, you'll get used to the process!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Abram said:
[SIZE=+0]

[/SIZE]
I think this is one of the best posts I've read in a long, long time. You have expressed my own feelings perfectly. (Except, of course, that I'm 100% sure Mormons are Christians. :D ) In fact, this post made my opinion of you really go up a few notches, Abram.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
mormonman said:
I would pray:shout . Ask God that He'll guide you to the truth, and that you'll be able to find the answers you're looking for. If you do this, make sure that you have an open mind and most importantly listen to your thoughts after your prayers. It may take time, but answers will come.
This is also what I would suggest Abe (you don't mind If I call you Abe?) Let the Holy Spirit guide you and pray. Meditate on the Word and your questions. Remember to test the spirits to discern what is good and what is not good. What would Jesus do?

Just always remember what Jesus said about how people would know who his disciples were: By their love for one another. Apply that concept to your life if you already haven't.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Abram I was moved by your post. It was the humility, and from that, grace. :flower:

robtex said:
Doesnt' the first sentence contradict the second sentence? It is good you realize you must work from what you know. No point in acting like the ambassador for something you are not sure that you understand. In the end being good to one another and living in a community is the most reasonable course of action given what we do know of our existance.
Looked like an apophatic approach to me. That we know so little is oddly also something that we can come to know, and work from.

Ody

~Lord Roghen~ said:
Why are you so bothered by placing youre faith in a certain place and going with it.

No one likes blind faith. Everyone wants to make sure that thier own beliefs are correct, thats a part of human nature.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Abram said:
[SIZE=-0]...[/SIZE][SIZE=-0] I can only worry about me, my walk with God! That way when it comes to an end and the truth is laid before us, I can only be accountable for me...[/SIZE]
:clapBravo and Frubals to you for this kind of self-reflection. As you peruse these threads, you'll find people all over the religious compass who signed up for the sole purpose of telling us all how wrong we are. Ever notice how long those folks do not last.:jester3:

There's nothing wrong with sharing your faith, and one thing I've learned is that very few people are going to make wholesale changes in their belief systems based on what's posted on a website. I think if you continue with the thought process demonstrated in your OP you'll get a great deal of enjoyment and education from a lot of wise people here.:)

Abram

Abraham
Wow, I can't believe how many of you responded! Thanks for the frubals and advice. I was just venting.

What if you do pray, read the Bible almost every day, listen to at least one sermon a day, have cards with scripture on mirrors, car dash and desk, and have a collection of books from the Koran, Book of Mormon, Bibles of many kinds, CS lewis, and everything in between? This is not something I take lightly. My faith is something I will search and test till I pass from here.

But what I fear, in the heart of it all, is leading someone the wrong way. I can't know for a 100% sure my faith is the faith God wants. How can I tell someone to worship Jesus (my core of my faith). What if the Jews are right? Then I'm telling them to worship a false God. Leading others away! So can I really tell someone what they should believe? No! I'm acting as God!

A lot of folks here simply say "just be good and love everyone." I can't be good on my own and my pride is so full of it self that it will loath in my own pride but hates pride in others. Whats this all about? I'm the last person to trust with the right thing to do.

I don't mind defending my faith, but in order to do this I'm saying I'm right and your wrong. Not just wrong about math or some trivia, but wrong about the creator of the universe and your eternal destiny!

The root of all this headache lies in this. There is a right and wrong answer!

standing_alone

Abram said:
I can't know for a 100% sure my faith is the faith God wants.

No one can be 100% sure about their faith. :)

Abram said:
I don't mind defending my faith, but in order to do this I'm saying I'm right and your wrong.

Not neccessarily. When defending your faith, just say, "I believe..." I think from that approach, it's not like you're discrediting the others' beliefs.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Abram said:
I don't mind defending my faith, but in order to do this I'm saying I'm right and your wrong. Not just wrong about math or some trivia, but wrong about the creator of the universe and your eternal destiny!

Why would have you to say you're right and someone else is wrong? Couldn't you view it as "here's what I see" and "you see something else"? Why think of "defending" your faith at all? Jesus told His Apostles to spread the Gospel...so just spread it.

The root of all this headache lies in this. There is a right and wrong answer!

It may not be quite so simple as that. Perhaps there are multiple right answers.

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi Abram, I think you've shown a lot of heart with your posts in this thread. Perhaps a key to your evangelism can be found below:

Abram said:

On a board like this especially you don't need to defend your faith. Of course you believe it is right, it almost goes without saying. :) The attitude of defense assumes that there are enemies here, perhaps not the best foot forward in an interfaith forum, or anywhere (until proven otherwise at least). Perhaps try viewing your evangelism as an invitation, rather than a battle.

There is a right and wrong answer!
Perhaps, but I'm not certain we're going to know the answer in this life. It's not a trick question. I don't think anyone who is trying is going to fail.

2 c,
lunamoth

lunamoth

Will to love
Booko said:
Why would have you to say you're right and someone else is wrong? Couldn't you view it as "here's what I see" and "you see something else"? Why think of "defending" your faith at all? Jesus told His Apostles to spread the Gospel...so just spread it.

It may not be quite so simple as that. Perhaps there are multiple right answers.

Are you a mind reader booko? Did we just post almost identical points simultaneously?

luna

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hi Abram,

First and foremost I always look at religious beliefs as personal choice. You choose for yourself first. We all find what we believe to be truth whether it be in God or no God. And for some just the possibility of God is enough.

Search out your own personal truth first. Read, ask questions and ask more questions. Find out what you firmly believe in. And later if you run across people who are searching like yourself and they ask questions of you.....you can answer them from the knowledge you've gained. Sharing religious knowledge only works if you have interested ears who will listen. Otherwise you run the risk of alienation and frustration from those you think you are trying to help.

I really admire your transparency and humbleness in your posts....:) Keep on truckin' !