• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if I can't be saved?

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Ormiston said:
Because Christianity is the only religion that has any relevance in my life. The majority of people around me are Christians and I'm an ex-born again Christian myself.
If I may ask, what is your motivation for asking? Is it just curiousity about different Christians' opinions?

Ormiston

Revasser said:
If I may ask, what is your motivation for asking? Is it just curiousity about different Christians' opinions?
No. I truly believe that I can't be saved because of "the way I'm wired". I'm incapable of being a Christian. My question is if by no fault of my own, I truly can't be saved, then why should I be punished?

My motivation is to get opinions, but I also wanted the Christians to think with their own heads and step away from the scripture for a moment. What if I can't be saved. What does that have to say for the Christian message? Where does the problem lie?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Bouncing Ball said:
And now what if "God" really sounds rediculous? I have about the same feeling here. I want to go to heaven if there is one (I heard something about virgins? :jam: ), but the idea just sounds too strange.

It is as if I would tell you that God does not exist, I know that sounds strange to you, but in real life there is a normal explaination to it all. Your thoughts are actually wrong. You just hold an encyclopedia with you all day long and read it a lot and you'll find out there is no God. You will get the feeling that all what you thought before was a big lie.
Now doesn't that feel impossible to you?

And spookboy, if one does not believe in God, throwing with quotes from (in our view) humanly written books only makes it worse.. Well for me it does..
Being a former agnostic/atheist I definatley see where you're coming from. I thought the whole idea of God was ridiculous and I found it pretty much impossible to believe in anything super-natural. I was always trying to convince myself that there was something more but the more I learned about life, the more I believed that there was a reasonable explanation. One day I was fed up with the way things were going in my life. I looked up at the sky and said "Hey! If you're up there, come into my life and start taking over." It took about 2 years before he made himself known to me. I never convinced myself and no one ever convinced me. A church didn't convince me and a book didn't convince me. God himself convinced me. I can't explain to you the details as to why I believe because it's a spiritual thing.

Karl R

I'll answer a somewhat related question to yours.

Millions of people lived and died without ever having any exposure to christianity (because of when or where they were born). This was clearly beyond their control.

I believe they have a way to connect with god. I suspect it's through the other religions of this world, but I have no way of knowing for certain. I don't expect to have any proof in this lifetime.

Ormiston said:
I truly believe that I can't be saved because of "the way I'm wired". I'm incapable of being a Christian.
You have only offered vague statements and no evidence. At this point, I can't unquestioningly accept that you're correct. That's why I answered a related question instead of the question you posed.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Ormiston said:
No. I truly believe that I can't be saved because of "the way I'm wired". I'm incapable of being a Christian. My question is if by no fault of my own, I truly can't be saved, then why should I be punished?

My motivation is to get opinions, but I also wanted the Christians to think with their own heads and step away from the scripture for a moment. What if I can't be saved. What does that have to say for the Christian message? Where does the problem lie?
Who is saying you can't?! You can't force yourself to feel a certain way. God knows this. God is not unreasonable. God judges what's in you heart rather than what you think.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Ormiston said:

If you ever get a legitimate answer to this question, please, by all means drop me a pm or an e-mail. I have been asking this same question for years, and have never received a satisfactory answer. I was also raised in a Christian church, in a Christian family surrounded by Christian neighbors, and even as a small child could never make it all "fit" or "make sense" for lack of a better way to put it.

I began my search into history and theology hoping and literally praying to find something which would allow me to be both intellectually honest, and saved. Sadly the more I searched, the more I read the more I talked to learned people, the more and more I got away from my original goal, which was, of course, to be a Christian, without being dishonest with myself.

I fear that I too, lack the capacity to be "saved." It is not for lack of desire to be saved, and it is certainly not for a lack of knowledge regarding the various scriptures and the secular history of the Biblical times.

To those who have asked basically (gross paraphrase here) "Why Christianity?" I would submit that if one is raised in a Christian culture it simply makes the most sense to try to be a "good Christian" as opposed to any other particular religion. Having read an extensive amount on various world religions I can personally say, that if I, personally were to ever become religious again, it would most likely be one of the Eastern religions such as Hinduism, or more likely Buddhism, as those religions appeal to me more than the Abrahamic religions.

That being said, as much flack as I get for being a simple non-beleiver, if I were to espouse such a "wacky" (by local standards) religion as Buddhism, I would probably get even more flack than I already get. Tho this would likely spark some lively debates which might be a lot of fun. . . . I can imagine it now. . . .

"Brian, why did you decide to become a Buddhist?"

"Because it made the most sense to me out of the available religious choices I had, Why did you become Christian"

"Because the Bible/My Preacher/My family says this is the way to go"

"Ahh, I see you are pulling out a trump card, well, when you can convince me why Buddhism, or any other world religion is NOT the way to go, then maybe you will have some understanding of why I have never been able to decide Christianity is the way to go"

A puzzled look ensues, and the person dismisses me as some kook, and we both go on about our way.

B.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Ormiston said:

Ahhh, I see where you're coming from now. A fair enough question, too.

Ormiston

Karl R said:
I'll answer a somewhat related question to yours.

Millions of people lived and died without ever having any exposure to christianity (because of when or where they were born). This was clearly beyond their control.

I believe they have a way to connect with god. I suspect it's through the other religions of this world, but I have no way of knowing for certain. I don't expect to have any proof in this lifetime.

You have only offered vague statements and no evidence. At this point, I can't unquestioningly accept that you're correct. That's why I answered a related question instead of the question you posed.
Fair enough. Specifically why I believe I am incapable of being a Christian is from the strong physical reaction I experience at the very thought and the thoughts that accompany this reaction. I'm revolted by the Christian message. I have my own faith in life and feel blessed, but I rarely put this faith into words. I am angered at funerals held in churches because they insist on drawing attention away from the dead person and redirecting it towards God/Jesus. Christianity goes against my moral fiber.

From your first statements though, it sounds as if you are an open-minded person which I think is an asset. If you think the answer is "each to their own" that makes sense to me. However, I'd rather let you answer for yourself.

Ormiston

lunamoth said:
What do you think the Christian message is?

lunamoth
Now that is a complicated question/answer. It's many things. Too me though, the crux of it is that Jesus died for my sins and only through Jesus can I enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The reason I cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven without Jesus is that I am imperfect. In my mind though, imperfect is putting it nicely. Another idea I've heard that's not so nice is that I can do no right without Jesus. What do you think of my answer so far? (I could go on :) )

lunamoth

Will to love
Ormiston said:
Now that is a complicated question/answer. It's many things. Too me though, the crux of it is that Jesus died for my sins and only through Jesus can I enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The reason I cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven without Jesus is that I am imperfect. In my mind though, imperfect is putting it nicely. Another idea I've heard that's not so nice is that I can do no right without Jesus. What do you think of my answer so far? (I could go on :) )
Sounds harsh, projects a lot of fear.

peace,
lunamoth

lunamoth

Will to love
Ormiston said:
Is there another way to look at it?
I believe Christ's message and work is one of unconditional grace. The choice is whether or not to seek refuge in this good news in this lifetime.

lunamoth

Ormiston

lunamoth said:
I believe Christ's message and work is one of unconditional grace. The choice is whether or not to seek refuge in this good news in this lifetime.

lunamoth
I don't understand what you mean by "unconditional grace". And what if I am content without this news? Where is the necessity of Christianity outside of the fire and brimstone?

lunamoth

Will to love
Ormiston said:
I don't understand what you mean by "unconditional grace". And what if I am content without this news? Where is the necessity of Christianity outside of the fire and brimstone?
I would say that if you are content and to be content is what you desire, then you should not be worried about what other's think v.v. your 'salvation.'

"fire and brimstone' are metaphorical for estrangement from God.

Unconditional grace means, to me, that you (and everyone else, regardless of beliefs) are loved by God. 'course, the expression of love, kinetic love, as opposed to potential love, requires particpation by both parties.

O Son of Being! Love Me that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, o servant.--Baha'u'llah

peace and good luck in your search for answers,
lunamoth

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi Ormiston,

Actually, I am curious about what you think it means to be 'saved.' And what do you think the Kingdom of God is?

peace,
lunamoth

Ormiston

lunamoth said:
Hi Ormiston,

Actually, I am curious about what you think it means to be 'saved.' And what do you think the Kingdom of God is?

peace,
lunamoth
Good stuff lunamoth! "Saved" means as I understand it that I have been forgiven of my sins by God. That I've accepted Jesus' gift and have accepted him as my savior from Hell. The Kingdom of God or Heaven to me is eternity in the presence of God.