• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if humans never existed?

Cooky

Veteran Member
If humans never came to be, what animal would have dominated the world? Because one animal has to be at the top of the food chain... And that animal will always overproduce - no escaping it...

Also, would the alternate animal have been more or less environmentally healthy, considering it's appetite, and what it would have eaten. Would the food chain have been altered for the better or worse?

...What about that animals waste? Would the planet be covered in feces? Because they surely wouldn't have waste management.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I know with dinosaurs, they must have dominated the planet to the extreme for them to have produced so much oil that we've been powering billions of combustion engines with their remains for the past 100 years.

...That's a LOT of dead dinosaurs.

Skwim

Veteran Member

For one thing, we'd never have had his highness.
crying-and-sobbing.gif

Trump-king.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The animal world is somewhat different, most dominant animal are not ubiquitous so different continents, even different areas would have different dominant species.

There is also environmental factors, as far as i am aware only humans have the capacity to control the environment (even making a mess of it is a form of control)

Maybe in 50000 years of so one or two of the more intelligent species, corvids, sus, canine etc would attain dominance

Nimos

If humans never came to be, what animal would have dominated the world? Because one animal has to be at the top of the food chain... And that animal will always overproduce - no escaping it...

Also, would the alternate animal have been more or less environmentally healthy, considering it's appetite, and what it would have eaten. Would the food chain have been altered for the better or worse?

...What about that animals waste? Would the planet be covered in feces?
Hmm good question, I don't think it would be a single animal. But rather several and most likely some sort of predator, like a cat (lion, tiger), wolf, hyena or maybe bears, if we are only talking land animals. What I think will determine the success of an animal is how adaptable it is to different environments. Which seems to be one of the major success of humans, that we can survive in all environments. Another big issue is how animals would react, when food get scarce. which is another key feature of humans success, that we can grow our own food and trade. Before that, we as all other animals would probably start to fight each other for territories and thereby keeping the competition from getting food and eventually they would die or have to move. So it depends if they would be able to figure that out.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

...What about that animals waste? Would the planet be covered in feces? Because they surely wouldn't have waste management.

This animal, living like other animals, wouldn't have the environmental/waste problems humans have. These issues are the result of civilization, industrialization, etc.

I imagine there would be little difference other than the lack of cities and farmland. The air and water would be purer, of course.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This animal, living like other animals, wouldn't have the environmental/waste problems humans have. These issues are the result of civilization, industrialization, etc.

I imagine there would be little difference other than the lack of cities and farmland. The air and water would be purer, of course.

I think the waters were probably dirtier during the Jurassic age, considering dinosaurs, in their massive numbers, probably pooped all over the place.

Just imagine if rats became top of the food chain. The world would be filthy.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It could have easily been any other animal that became 'top' of the food chain. How dirty would that have been, considering there would be no plumbing or toilets?

overpopulation.png
Crowd_at_Knebworth_House_-_Rolling_Stones_1976.jpg

WhyIsThatSo

If you knew what a true "human" is, you would not be asking this question..
because humans were inevitable , they were bound to happen.

Take a look at probably the oldest symbolism in human history....the "pentagram"..
the "star", what the form represents, and why everybody wants to be one.

A movie "star"....a pop "star"....a sports "star", etc.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

I am not sure that one animal has to assume the position that we have. I can think of no reason that demands that an intelligent species is ordained to exist.

However, if intelligence were to arise independently, it is difficult to say in what group it would arise in. Cetaceans, other primates, certain birds, and a few other species show evidence of intelligence. Perhaps it would be from one of those groups or from another entirely. It would depend on the good fortune of selection.

Who can say what another intelligence would do or how it would behave. Perhaps there are similar hurdles that all intelligent species must face once they pass a certain level. I have no idea.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Take a look at probably the oldest symbolism in human history....the "pentagram"..

It's a good thing humans became the top of the food chain. Isn't it..?

Things seem to work out for reasons. Don't they. :)

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

There is no evidence other than your wishful thinking that places a demand on the existence of humans or anything like them. Considering the age of the Earth, the age of life and our more recent arrival, our existence has no appearance of being ordained.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
It could have easily been any other animal that became 'top' of the food chain. How dirty would that have been, considering there would be no plumbing or toilets?

View attachment 37304 View attachment 37305
I am not sure I follow you logic. Are you suggesting that our position be replaced by a species that is not intelligent or as intelligent as our own? Our intelligence is what got us here.

A species of equal intelligence would presumably face the same problems we do, and have to use that intelligence to find solutions. They may not be the exact same solutions, but they would have to deal with food, shelter, waste and many of the same problems we do. Their culture would not necessarily be anything like ours. It might be completely alien to our sensibilities. But that would make sense, since they would not be us.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think the waters were probably dirtier during the Jurassic age, considering dinosaurs, in their massive numbers, probably pooped all over the place.
They didn't have sewage systems that directed their waste into the waters.

Just imagine if rats became top of the food chain. The world would be filthy.
Rats are regarded as filthy due to living in and subsisting on human garbage.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
The animal world is somewhat different, most dominant animal are not ubiquitous so different continents, even different areas would have different dominant species.

There is also environmental factors, as far as i am aware only humans have the capacity to control the environment (even making a mess of it is a form of control)

Maybe in 50000 years of so one or two of the more intelligent species, corvids, sus, canine etc would attain dominance
In terms of numbers, humans are outnumbered by chickens at 23 billion, beetles at 350,000 species and ants at one quadrillion individuals. We are tops at altering the environment though.

I have a love/hate idea with pigs becoming more intelligent. They are so darned delicious.

Cooky

Veteran Member
As stated, if you knew what a "true human" is. And don't be so sure we are at the "top of the chain"
because I can assure you otherwise.

Are you suggesting that we're aliens to earth, and thus unnatural inhabitants, wreaking havoc on the environment unnaturally?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

First if we are to believe evolution there would be one dominating animal per ecological environment. There are so many types of environments across the world that any species that could not build there own environment could not be dominate world wide.

Nature provides naturally so species would survive and die out naturally there would be no artificial products anymore.

Waste produced naturally dissolves naturally and is good for the environment. Overpopulation pollutes certain areas but those creatures would die off and be replace by other creatures.

Overall removing humans from the world would be a good thing.