• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I seek in a Christian church.

Jonathan Bailey

1. LBGT affirmed
2. to not condone the state's use of the death penalty
3. acknowledgment that there is a serious overpopulation problem in this world in spite of the clause in the bible "be fruitful and multiply": well, to multiply can mean performing the mathematical act of multiplication and be fruitful can mean be productive, so why not be fruitful by working hard to support the children you unselfishly adopted into your own home and watch the provisions for your adopted children multiply as you work in earnest to earn those means?
4. acceptance of the use of lawful contraceptives
5. acceptance of abortion to save the mother or in cases of rape or incest
6. to embrace stewardship of the earth God created: to frown upon pollution, to be environmentally conscious
7. to not condone warfare except in defense of people or one's nation from the enemies of peace and liberty
8. to encourage the kind and Christian act of adoption of children in need of homes; to discourage making babies purely out of gratification for a selfish ego
9. to condone the use of guns or weapons by citizens for lawful purposes as lawful hunting, lawful shooting sports and lawful personal defense from criminal threats of violence
10. to be very giving and charitable in nature
11. to frown upon hypocrisy
12. to teach love much more than hate

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
1. LBGT affirmed
3. acknowledgment that there is a serious overpopulation problem in this world in spite of the clause in the bible "be fruitful and multiply": well, to multiply can mean performing the mathematical act of multiplication and be fruitful can mean be productive, so why not be fruitful by working hard to support the children you unselfishly adopted into your own home and watch the provisions for your adopted children multiply as you work in earnest to earn those means?
6. to embrace stewardship of the earth God created: to frown upon pollution, to be environmentally conscious
7. to not condone warfare except in defense of people or one' nation from the enemies of peace and liberty
8. to encourage the kind and Christian act of adoption of children in need of homes; to discourage making babies purely out of gratification for a selfish ego
9. to condone the use of guns or weapons by citizens for lawful purposes as lawful hunting, lawful shooting sports and lawful personal defense from criminal threats of violence
I used to seek all that in a church, but didn’t really find such a church near me in Australia, so now I just call myself an Abrahamic Liberal :)

ETA except I don’t condone the proliferation of guns and I wouldn’t really consider myself “Christian”

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

I used to seek all that in a church, but didn’t really find such a church near me in Australia, so now I just call myself an Abrahamic Liberal :)

ETA except I don’t condone the proliferation of guns and I wouldn’t really consider myself “Christian”

Using a gun lawfully to defend oneself against a murder or rape attempt is not exactly proliferation of weapons. It is executing the inalienable human right bestowed upon man by nature and God to preserve oneself.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
1. LBGT affirmed
7. to not condone warfare except in defense of people or one's nation from the enemies of peace and liberty

You could start your own church. Looking for the shoes that fit is a fruitless egocentric search. The shoes that fit are not your shoes.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
1. LBGT affirmed
Start a new denomination?

Or let Jesus be Lord of your viewpoints (if you are of the Christian flavor).

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Start a new denomination?

Or let Jesus be Lord of your viewpoints (if you are of the Christian flavor).
Everybody over the millennia that do this believe they let Jesus be Lord of your viewpoints (if you are of the Christian flavor) or for that matter any one of hundreds of flavors.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Using a gun lawfully to defend oneself against a murder or rape attempt is not exactly proliferation of weapons. It is executing the inalienable human right bestowed upon man by nature and God to preserve oneself.
I’m not against the use of lethal force to defend one’s self, I just don’t want the person trying to murder me to have a gun.

In Australia gun murders are significantly below our population size as for the most part only the police have access to guns, and only special police units (according to my understanding) have automatic firearms.

Kenny

Premium Member
Everybody over the millennia that do this believe they let Jesus be Lord of your viewpoints (if you are of the Christian flavor) or for that matter any one of hundreds of flavors.

Actually, there are hundreds of people that actually don't let Jesus be the Lord of their viewpoints. (There are areas where the Bible says you can have different viewpoints)

Snickerdoodle

1. LBGT affirmed

Agree on those that arrive from the Bible and the Christian Tradition.
6, 8,10,11, 12

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually, there are hundreds of people that actually don't let Jesus be the Lord of their viewpoints. (There are areas where the Bible says you can have different viewpoints)

Hundreds of people? So what?!?!?! There are hundreds of different churches that form over the past several hundred years.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
1. LBGT affirmed
Churches that LGBT affirm usually have a rainbow sticker on the door. You could also look for unity, quaker, universalist.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
1. LBGT affirmed
I find Jesus set the example for us to follow as found in Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35
We are to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
Anything outside of first-century Bible teaching is a man-made tradition or custom.
Jesus taught to seek first God's Kingdom (Daniel 2:44). 'Thy kingdom come...' - Matthew 6:33; Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8
Then tell others about the good news message about God's kingdom government in the hands of Christ Jesus.
That Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom, will establish lasting Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Kenny

Premium Member
Hundreds of people? So what?!?!?! There are hundreds of different churches that form over the past several hundred years.
Different names doesn't necessarily translate into different churches... there is only one Church - The Body of Christ.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
1. LBGT affirmed
I think my Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, could accommodate you pretty well, but I'm not supposed to proselytize so either PM me or find your local missionaries or bishop.

Riders

1. LBGT affirmed

Many times conservative churches can trick you into thinking they are more liberal then they are.Many of the non denominational churches out here use a less strict code for dress code more accepting of those with body piercings and tatts will convince you they are Christian.

I suggest you find a GLBT church ministry specifically meant for GLBTS but always ask the church your visiting if they are LGBT affirmed and tell them that specifically means you give weddings for GLBTs and have GLBTS or open to having GLBTs for leadership.

If you don't there are conservative churches especially nondenominationals,they will try and convince you they are liberal when they are not.

I

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Different names doesn't necessarily translate into different churches... there is only one Church - The Body of Christ.

You may believe this, OK, but there are some churches that believe their church is the only church, and of course the 'Body of Christ' in their own interpretation. Also it is common for people to form their own church based on a punch list like started this thread.

Jonathan Bailey

Many times conservative churches can trick you into thinking they are more liberal then they are.Many of the non denominational churches out here use a less strict code for dress code more accepting of those with body piercings and tatts will convince you they are Christian.

I suggest you find a GLBT church ministry specifically meant for GLBTS but always ask the church your visiting if they are LGBT affirmed and tell them that specifically means you give weddings for GLBTs and have GLBTS or open to having GLBTs for leadership.

If you don't there are conservative churches especially nondenominationals,they will try and convince you they are liberal when they are not.

I

The thing is, I don't personally like tatts, body-piercings, weird hair or beards on men. I am rather conservative in dress. I do appreciate cleanliness and neatness.

Jonathan Bailey

You may believe this, OK, but there are some churches that believe their church is the only church, and of course the 'Body of Christ' in their own interpretation. Also it is common for people to form their own church based on a punch list like started this thread.

I was in an all-white southern Baptist church in Geneva, Georgia in 1999 with my aunt. The preacher, clean-cut/clean-shaven, casually-dressed, in his 30's was shouting to his flock about his HATRED for homosexuality in an angry tone. He denounced same-sex attraction as a "disease". This is not what I wish to hear in the pews. I was dressed in a formal black suit and tie. Most of the people looked dressed like farmers right out of the cow barn. The young preacher looked like he had motorcycle clothing on save for the helmet.

Last edited: