• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Have You Learned at RF?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Assuming you joined RF to learn something rather than to proselytize your beliefs, what have you taken away from RF since you joined? What, if anything (aside from @Sunstone's insufferable dissertations about logical fallacies, from @SalixIncendium's awesome fashion sense, and @Rival's apparent apathy toward either) have you learned in your time here?

Do you feel you've grown as a person since you've been here in listening to the worldviews of others? How so?
I've learned to be a kinder and gentler me. :p

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
what have I learned during my time on RF?

Well, to start with, RF doesn't happen inside a vacuum (although some may disagree, and some may say that it positively sucks), so along with the other things that have happened in my life in the past 7+ years, I've learned things like:

Stop taking every disagreement personally; many times, it's not about me, and I should listen much more than I speak...

Take time to laugh, and not at someone else's expense...

There's some things that just aren't worth arguing about...

There's some people its just not worth arguing with...they aren't bad..we just have communication problems between us...or points of view that won't budge...

While it's nice to receive frubals, it's better to give them...and the frubal-to-post ratio is very unimportant...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
what have I learned during my time on RF?

Well, to start with, RF doesn't happen inside a vacuum (although some may disagree, and some may say that it positively sucks), so along with the other things that have happened in my life in the past 7+ years, I've learned things like:

Stop taking every disagreement personally; many times, it's not about me, and I should listen much more than I speak...

Take time to laugh, and not at someone else's expense...

There's some things that just aren't worth arguing about...

There's some people its just not worth arguing with...they aren't bad..we just have communication problems between us...or points of view that won't budge...

While it's nice to receive frubals, it's better to give them...and the frubal-to-post ratio is very unimportant...
One thing I am reminded of from time to time is to not argue too forcefully in real life. RF has made me used to defending my ideas and dealing with someone defending their ideas. In real life, people are not generally willing to go to the mat over minor differences! So, throttle back in real life conversations!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I can't say that what follows comes exclusively from my participation in Religious Forums, or in others in the past, or even in my daily and unending reading of newspapers and books, and my conversations with the ordinary folk I call friends and acquaintances.

But here's something of which I am now absolutely convinced: we humans are indeed capable of believing what we want, however realistically improbable, and ignoring what we don't like, however well attested. And as a result, I am very seriously convinced that we are on the threshold, within only a few generations quite likely, of extinguishing our existence and this planet. And because this planet is the only place we've got, for likely longer than the next few generations, our existence in the universe.

And I've learned that the politics of only the last ten years or so has actually accelerated that eventuality, along with the dizzying increase in sciences (Moore's Law) that could help, but will probably hurt more. A pity, but fortunately, at 70, I will likely not go through it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You know, often I’ll just see someone on these forums make some thread or post which looks to me like a jumble of meaninglessly assorted words, and I’ll just kinda scroll past, then someone else, seemingly able to understand this apparent gibberish, will reply in a less understandable format than the first, and the two will go on, apparently having a conversation. It makes me feel like I’m going crazy whenever I see this.

So, am I too smart or simply too dumb to follow these kinds of exchanges?
I'm still trying to learn Jabberwocky as well. ,;0)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....I am very seriously convinced that we are on the threshold, within only a few generations quite likely, of extinguishing our existence and this planet.
The planet has already endured catastrophes (which aren't prizes for the cat
with the best butt) far worse than anything we could do to it. (Imagine when
that Mars sized planet collided with Earth, & created the Moon.) The planet
will survive us. The question is whether we will like the results.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The planet has already endured catastrophes (which aren't prizes for the cat
with the best butt) far worse than anything we could do to it. (Imagine when
that Mars sized planet collided with Earth, & created the Moon.) The planet
will survive us. The question is whether we will like the results.
Oh, I agree that the planet will survive us. My point is that we are unlikely to be here to have any opinion at all about the result. And I think the answer to that is "no."

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Assuming you joined RF to learn something rather than to proselytize your beliefs, what have you taken away from RF since you joined? What, if anything (aside from @Sunstone's insufferable dissertations about logical fallacies, from @SalixIncendium's awesome fashion sense, and @Rival's apparent apathy toward either) have you learned in your time here?

Do you feel you've grown as a person since you've been here in listening to the worldviews of others? How so?
I have definitely learned a lot; especially that questioning the value of what someone treasures intensely, sometimes gets you trashed.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Eh, nothing off the top of my head.
I'm the same obnoxious and arrogant alcoholic I've always been. :D