• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Have You Been Studying?

sealchan

If you want to hear/see a story where classic myth flavored with a sort of superhero drama comes together in one epic drama then try...

I haven't watched this rendition but I sampled it...seems cool.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
History, philosophy, and religion from an Iranian perspective. I'm currently contemplating the notion that Buddha was a Scythian. o_O

Have you recently looked into Sufism, then? I can imagine you must have done that years ago, but I'm wondering if you have recently returned to it, given your interest in all things Iranian.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Where I went wrong, ... and how often.

Has that become a grave concern? I find as I grow older, I tend towards such reflections too. Although in my case, they are more along the lines of "how remarkable that x caused y caused z" -- than "where did I go wrong".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Nutrition.

I found out that we are controlled by our hormones all our lives, not only when we're teenagers. Bummer!

The full scope of hormones in our lives came as quite a shock to me too, Vee. I know how you feel.

Reactions: Vee

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
German, ePub format, and a bit of Javascript.

Sadly, very little application in pole dancing.

How does German stack up to other languages when it comes to expressing aesthetic concepts, Luis. I have long been curious about that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lately, I have been studying the material connected to Martin's axiom and how it relates to the Baire Category Theorem.

The most striking thing I have learned is how the topology of the remainder of the natural numbers in its Stone-Cech compactification affects the BCT for separable spaces.

Any other questions? :)

Serious question... Any offhand thoughts about Kolmogorov? Anything race to mind?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Finance/loans/money/spending

I've learned a lot of young people get themselves in debt quickly. Perhaps school should focus on money management courses.

Nowadays, young people need courses in way too many things because life keeps getting more and more complex. Unfortunately, a lot of stuff is being dumbed down just as fast as it can be. I was taught in high school how to manage a household budget, take out a home mortgage and a car loan, etc. I heard today that class has long since been discontinued.

Terry Sampson

Has that become a grave concern?

It's temporary and infrequent, typically coming to mind after a conversation with my wife in which she tells me what reality is and where and when I went wrong, but is not interested in hearing my version of the story.

I find as I grow older, I tend towards such reflections too. Although in my case, they are more along the lines of "how remarkable that x caused y caused z" -- than "where did I go wrong".

At the risk of making an unfounded assumption, you're not married, are you? I've found that being married, at least being married to my wife, I am X and I'm the one who caused it all.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Serious question... Any offhand thoughts about Kolmogorov? Anything race to mind?

His work unifying measure theory and probability theory was absolutely fundamental.

He has some interesting results on absolute continuity of product measures.

His notion of complexity rivals the Shannon definition of entropy.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How does German stack up to other languages when it comes to expressing aesthetic concepts, Luis. I have long been curious about that.
Overall it strikes me as subtler and perhaps a bit more technical than the romance languages, @Sunstone

Portuguese, Spanish and particularly Italian tend to make speakers wear our emotions on our sleeves, to the point that it may be difficult to express nuance or even to develop it in the first place. I have for a while now admired the rich assortment of treatment pronoums of Japanese, which I expect other languages to want to emulate sooner rather than later.

German is quite different there. A lot more gutural, but also much more disciplined and oddly subtle.

@crossfire will probably disapprove of the extent to which its gendered articles reinforces a male-oriented Nomos, but I understand that even many native speakers don't always even use those genders correctly - which hints that it could very easily fix itself on this particular flaw.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
His work unifying measure theory and probability theory was absolutely fundamental.

He has some interesting results on absolute continuity of product measures.

His notion of complexity rivals the Shannon definition of entropy.

It is always humbling to realize how easy it is to have little notion of what the subject matter is, let alone the specific idea being discussed.

You and @Sunstone have sure given me a bit of that taste now.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What have you been studying recently?

What's the most striking thing you have found out?
This which explains how 3d projections are processed and how it is that we can make computer images appear to have depth when in fact they are flat: An intro to modern OpenGL. Chapter 3: 3D transformation and projection Each object in computer member is broken into vectors similar to this <x, y, z, color>, relative to a single point (usually the center of the screen or something like that). These are arranged in matrices, and they are multiplied by matrices which represent rotations and deformations...and these simple operations allow a relatively simple program to describe 3D objects on flat screens as though they are seen in the world. Its tedious but not complicated.

What is most striking is that the tutorials are improving over time. There are currently about 10 free online tutorials on the subject. I anticipate that someone will write an interactive computer based program which teaches to anyone inside of 5 minutes. Currently it takes hours to get through the reading and the various snippets of information which one must locate.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Currently two books: one on Scandinavian economics and the other on C. K. Chesterton (author of the Father Brown series that's on BBC and shown here in the States on some PBS stations). My books are upstairs, but I can get ya the titles tomorrow if one is interested.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Have you recently looked into Sufism, then? I can imagine you must have done that years ago, but I'm wondering if you have recently returned to it, given your interest in all things Iranian.
Eventually, if this subject holds my interest long enough for me to get there in this spurt of study. Right now I'm focused more on events about 1,000+ years prior.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Overall it strikes me as subtler and perhaps a bit more technical than the romance languages, @Sunstone

Portuguese, Spanish and particularly Italian tend to make speakers wear our emotions on our sleeves, to the point that it may be difficult to express nuance or even to develop it in the first place. I have for a while now admired the rich assortment of treatment pronoums of Japanese, which I expect other languages to want to emulate sooner rather than later.

German is quite different there. A lot more gutural, but also much more disciplined and oddly subtle.

@crossfire will probably disapprove of the extent to which its gendered articles reinforces a male-oriented Nomos, but I understand that even many native speakers don't always even use those genders correctly - which hints that it could very easily fix itself on this particular flaw.
Actually, gendered articles aren't that big of a deal to me. (I even think that gender neutral das Mädchen is actually a good idea!)