• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has your God done for you???

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Can you know God without knowing his messenger or in the case of the Christian God ,his son first,
I know many believe in a variety of gods out there,but do any of them have someone that you must follow after in order to be saved,redeemed, delivered
I mean did your god send a messenger into the world to help you. One that you must accept, or has your god said ,your ok ,you can do it on your own,just find yourself,relax,meditate,become one with your universe and you will find completeness.
Has your God given you hope.
Has he given you answers to life's purpose,origin,destination

love

tri-polar optimist
There is only God in my language. And I would say He gives me breath. I think that is as good a place to start as any. I don't think God cares as much about what you call Him as long as you recognize He's got it under control. By His very will all things are possible. I thank God every day for what He does for me, things that I am not even aware of. He is putting it together for me and for you.

XAAX

roli said:
Can you know God without knowing his messenger or in the case of the Christian God ,his son first,
I know many believe in a variety of gods out there,but do any of them have someone that you must follow after in order to be saved,redeemed, delivered
I mean did your god send a messenger into the world to help you. One that you must accept, or has your god said ,your ok ,you can do it on your own,just find yourself,relax,meditate,become one with your universe and you will find completeness.

Actually Roli, there is no need for God to mediate through someone else (Jesus, Muhammad, Pope, etc...). To me this is a very misleading concept to people. It makes them separated themselves from God. Ok, they may not say that they follow them, in the case of the Muslims, but they still raise them up above themselves. God is not an alien thing to humans. It is part of us all. When religions separate you from this connection by putting their religion between, you really do loose a lot of connection to God. You become corralled into a much smaller part of the whole. I could continue to try and explain this but I have a feeling what the response is already going to be.

yuvgotmel

XAAX said:
Actually Roli, there is no need for God to mediate through someone else (Jesus, Muhammad, Pope, etc...). To me this is a very misleading concept to people. It makes them separated themselves from God. Ok, they may not say that they follow them, in the case of the Muslims, but they still raise them up above themselves. God is not an alien thing to humans. It is part of us all. When religions separate you from this connection by putting their religion between, you really do loose a lot of connection to God. You become corralled into a much smaller part of the whole. I could continue to try and explain this but I have a feeling what the response is already going to be.

Good choice of words. When "god" becomes a form (takes on a shape), "god" ceases to be eternal except for those (in whatever group) would choose to keep the thoughtform "alive" by means of a collective memory, giving it power by thought/energy. And too, I believe that the term "god" is inadaquate term that does not begin to explain the highest all-sustaining force.

"God(s)" (a.k.a. creator beings) can think, ponder, muse, judge, manipulate matter, speak and so on. However, the highest supreme power just is and does not require anything, not even a messanger. ...So I'll just shut up for now.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Okay, here, wrap your head around and have fun with this one.

I am my own "messenger" for I need no interpreter for the Divine to speak to and through me. My spirit is part of the Divine Essense as much as the Divine is a part of me. The Source runs through all and is a part of all. Whatever aspect of the Divine might show themselves at any given time in ethereal form is whatever form is most accepted by the recepient of the message. In other words...She will present herself to those who are ready to see Her, He will present himself to those ready to see Him, They/The One will enlighten those who are ready and await for their enlightenment. There is always hope and direction. One need only open themselves up for it. The answers await you, if you know how to look.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
`PaWz said:
Nothing. I am the only one that can save myself
I'm just curious as to how you intend to do this. I guess I'm thinking about when your time comes to die. Are you going to be able to keep yourself alive forever? Is that what you mean? Or, if you die, how are you going to regain your life back? Maybe I don't understand what you mean by saving yourself. Could you explain?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
roli said:
My God has given me a brain with which to reason and a heart with which to love. And this life and this world. That is all I need to hope, to ponder life's purpose,origin,destination.

As for your God saying that "you must follow" and "you must accept," that doesn't in any way prove that your (conception of) God is the right God. All it shows is that your God is a control freak.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If God’s messengers comes into the world and tells everyone to follow a God of the living.
God is their next to us in every day life (Christ teachings = Faith in God!), I constantly see miracle in my life’s and other peoples, though they don’t accumulate that God has done these, yet they still happen.
Many people call them coincidences, yet for those who have read the Celestine prophecy also, that has a very nice way of putting it, how each coincidence you have, are very special and divine (if you understand what they have been put there for).

Anyways in my life, before reading what Christ had re-written about him by people, I have always seen miracles.
I read the books after miracles, even as young as 4/5 and knew one day would have to fix the Bible….then as my faith has grown tremendously during the course of events; though always had strong faith, it has begun to be, if I think it happens; So I try not to think (well to directly ask God for things, unless needed; and don’t ask me about world poverty, we cause it).

Yet all of that, everyone is doing, the video the secret explains it well, in the laws of power of attraction, in fact I would say it is the laws of God.
God created the reality through God’s own faith to begin, as faith is a tangible dimension in its self, so those with faith get miracles.

Doesn’t matter what book you call it either, as long as that faith is in Good and life.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
I'm just curious as to how you intend to do this. I guess I'm thinking about when your time comes to die. Are you going to be able to keep yourself alive forever? Is that what you mean? Or, if you die, how are you going to regain your life back? Maybe I don't understand what you mean by saving yourself. Could you explain?

Since I give the same answer as Pawz, I'll give my answer to your questions because I'm sure you'd ask me, too. However, I defer to Pawz to give his own perspective. :)

Buddha said as his last words before he died, "Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your liberation with diligence." Them's pretty profound words for a dying man - he wasn't concerned so much with his own pain and his own death process but more concerned with giving one of the most significant teachings in Buddhism. We are not to become slaves to any one establishment, community, relationship, role, or even concepts or ideas. In the end, it is only up to us to realize our Buddha-nature.

It gives a new light to the koan "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." Even though I take refuge with the Buddha, I should not cling to him nor his teachings. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
roli said:

In my religion, there is no one messenger, all who open their hearts and minds to the Gods will recieve a message that is meant only for them, not a mass group. There is no need for salvation, as we don't believe there is anything that we need saving from.

My Gods have given me hope for not only myself but for everything in this world and beyond. They have also given me a curiousity for the world, and a strength to help do what I can in order to make this world a better place.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Gentoo said:
In my religion, there is no one messenger, all who open their hearts and minds to the Gods will recieve a message that is meant only for them, not a mass group. There is no need for salvation, as we don't believe there is anything that we need saving from.

My Gods have given me hope for not only myself but for everything in this world and beyond. They have also given me a curiousity for the world, and a strength to help do what I can in order to make this world a better place.
You have attributed to the Gods these things that I would say were a part of you all along. If you give a thing over to them, then can that be considered to be the same as saying that they have "saved" you from its opposite?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Willamena said:
You have attributed to the Gods these things that I would say were a part of you all along.

Sure, but it's all on how you look at it. What some see as a gift from above, others see it as innate.

If you give a thing over to them, then can that be considered to be the same as saying that they have "saved" you from its opposite?

Again, it's all on how you view it.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
roli said:
I find the notion that the creator of everything would need or choose a messenger absurd. Similarly absurd is the anthropocentric idea that I'm important enough to merit a personal message or to fight some kind of spiritual war over my soul.

I like lilithu's response!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
[
quote=Gentoo]In my religion, there is no one messenger, all who open their hearts and minds to the Gods will recieve a message that is meant only for them, not a mass group.
What message are you recieving from your gods if you don't mind me asking
There is no need for salvation, as we don't believe there is anything that we need saving from.
Is that a guess,or have your gods told you this,personally.
Are these numerous gods on the same page.

My Gods have given me hope for not only myself but for everything in this world and beyond. They have also given me a curiousity for the world, and a strength to help do what I can in order to make this world a better place
What may I ask do your gods expect of you ?
Are you saying they really are'nt gods that govern you at all, but have given you the right and rule to act as your own gods based on your own moral code,or have they given those codes to you
If that is the case,that's an ideal god to believe in I must admit ,that basically gives you supremacy,rule reign and right to be and do as you will.
Where does one sign up !!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Wandered Off said:
I find the notion that the creator of everything would need or choose a messenger absurd. Similarly absurd is the anthropocentric idea that I'm important enough to merit a personal message or to fight some kind of spiritual war over my soul.

I like lilithu's response!
Why is that so absurd ?
Is'nt that principal something we all experience in this life,people telling people what to do, where to do it, when to do and how to do it, all on behalf of someone else.
And all for one purpose, to help a society function somewhat civilized.

What I find absurd is in knowing that one fact and not thinking that God is able to operate in the same manner.
Why are you not deemed important enough ??