• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has influenced Abrahamic faiths?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Excerpt
It is highly likely that Abraham's God was El, the high God of Cannan. This deity introduces himself to Abraham as El Shaddai (El of the mountain), which was one of El's traditional titles. Elsewhere he is called El Elyon (The Most High God) or El of Bethel. The name of the Cannanite High God is Alwapreserved in such Hebrew names such as Isra-El and Ishma-El

The problem that I usually find is when words like "highly likely" are used, they then continue speaking or writing as if then it is "definitely true".

The reality is that the God of Abraham was different that the gods the Canaanites and others served.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What has influenced the development of Abrahamic faiths, and in what way?
I'm reading A History of God. I'm not very far, but it seems the book is going to delve into the varying cultural and religious influences that helped shape and change the three major Abrahamic faiths over the millenniums..

From what I read in Genesis God influenced the development, Not just through Abraham, but through: Sarah.
Sarah would be mother (Genesis 17:16) God established the development only with Sarah's son Isaac - Genesis 17:21
In other words, only through Sarah's son Isaac would come the promised 'seed' Messiah of Genesis 3:15.
Sarah had strong faith in God's promise because Sarah considered her God was a faithful trustworthy God (Hebrews 11:11B) thus Sarah's faith/confidence influenced the development of Abrahamic faiths.
To reject Isaac would have an influence on the development of Abrahamic faith.- Hebrews 11:18; Genesis 21:12 B
Rejecting Isaac as the one chosen one would shape and change against what is recorded in Scripture.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
............... and Greek culture................

Yes, when un-faithful Jews began mixing with Greek culture the un-faithful Jews took up blending Greek thought/beliefs with Scripture and began teaching that mixture as being Scripture with then having a wrong influence on Christ's teachings.
- Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What has influenced the development of Abrahamic faiths, and in what way?

I'm reading A History of God. I'm not very far, but it seems the book is going to delve into the varying cultural and religious influences that helped shape and change the three major Abrahamic faiths over the millenniums.

I figured I'd ask you wise folk what you know on this topic! For me, I'll continue reading.

I have a copy of The History of Christianity at home, and found that pretty informative and interesting in a historical (moreso than theological) sense.