• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has happened to reason?

ThisShouldMakeSense

Why don’t all those protesting Muslims realise that those drawings have nothing to do with the country and people of Denmark and it’s exports and other businesses? Those drawings were printed by a few papers and was probably the decision of a handful of people. Why do whole countries have to pay for a few people’s decisions? Why do people need to die? It’s ridiculous! I know people are taking the right to freedom of speech too far, but what about freedom from fear? People reacting like this makes me sad... Where do you think this will lead?
:confused:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
"reason" left the stage from the moment there was a difference between value.

Where do you think this will lead?
Nowhere. there will be some muslims angry enough to cause damage, there will be lots and lots of muslims insulted but forgiving and there will be some ignoring. In the west there will be some hatefull against those muslims that cause damage and do probably exactly the same, there will be lots and lots of them overreacting and there will be lots of ignoring.

For the rest it will die out like every newshype..

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Good point Cardero,

For some reason, reasoning and faith seem to be like oil and water. Hard to fit both in the same space. This dust up over the cartoons shows the true nature behind the "protestors" mentality, IMHO. If you insult someone that Westerner's hold in high regard, somebody may get upset, but nobody is going to die over it.

But everybody with any sense knows to insult anything Islamic is to sign your own death warrant at the hands of the followers of the Religion of Peace. Ask Salmon Rushdie and Theo Van Gogh about this concept. . . . oh wait, you can't ask them, cause Rushdie is in hiding and Van Gogh was murdered by Muhammed Bouyeri while out for a bicycle ride.

B.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
Why don’t all those protesting Muslims realise that those drawings have nothing to do with the country and people of Denmark and it’s exports and other businesses? Those drawings were printed by a few papers and was probably the decision of a handful of people. Why do whole countries have to pay for a few people’s decisions? Why do people need to die? It’s ridiculous! I know people are taking the right to freedom of speech too far, but what about freedom from fear? People reacting like this makes me sad... Where do you think this will lead?
They just wanted a reason to go even more crazy.

maggie2

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
Let me ask you these questions: Why don't all those Christian fundamentalists realize that homosexuality is not a choice? Why don't Christian fundamentalists stop bombing abortion clinics? Why don't they quit marching in the streets with their young children brandishing graphic pictures of fetuses? Why don't they silence Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell instead of listening to their hate-filled ideas? Why did Christian fundamentalists protest at the funerals for the miners who died in West Virginia recently? I could go on but I won't.

While I do not excuse the protesters I do understand that we have people just like them in North America. By and large they are not violent, but they are just as brainwashed as those Muslims. The only difference is that by and large the fundamentalists here have learned to be a little more 'delicate' about their beliefs. I also believe that we need to clean up our own back yard before we start focusing on our neighbour's back yard. Again, I repeat: I do not excuse what the protesters are doing. I do, however, understand the hypocrisy we show when we expect them to behave like civilized people and we ourselves don't ask or demand that in our own countries. Personally, I think that all extreme beliefs create far more harm than good and that includes both Muslim AND Christian fundamentalists.

You ask: What about freedom from fear. I can assure you that no one on this earth can give you or me freedom from fear except ourselves. There are always going to be things in this world that we can fear but it is we who must overcome those fears. There was a time when I was afraid of cats. It was me who had to deal with that and overcome it, no one else could do that for me. I still have a couple of things I fear but I realize that it is up to me to overcome those fears and I work on that. Others have different fears and they must either learn to live with those fears or find ways to overcome them. We are responsible for our feelings, not someone else. It is us who must deal with our fears. I know that I fear fundamentalists of any belief because I find them unreasonable. However, I also know that it is my choice as to whether or not I will allow this fear to take over my life or whether I will overcome it. I'm working at overcoming it. Sometimes I'm more successful than others, but I work at it and try to learn how to deal with it every day. The truth is that they aren't going away and they aren't likely to change any time soon, so it's up to me to take charge of my life and find ways to difuse my fear and live comfortably.

I agree with you that this is sad. It is very, very sad. I wish it were otherwise but it isn't, so we have to do what we can to help alleviate the problem and I certainly am trying to do that. I hope you can find some peace within your own heart and then try to pass that peace on to others.

Popeyesays

Did anyone think that the cartoonist and the editors of those papers were NOT aware that what they were doing would enflame many Muslims? In Europe today there are many muslims who can claim citizenship in European countries. Invariably they are treated like second class citizens - France, Germany, England. And many staunchly conservative Europeans are heartily sorry that those Muslims live in "their" countries. The closest thing to historical reference is the anti-Semitism of early Nazi Germany - when it still barely tolerated Jews.

The Prophet Muhammed was bitterly satired by the "wits" of His day in the form of poetic lampoons, and the Meccans accused Him of being a poet-satirist Himself. So satire, and art have always been supremely suspect by the Islamic clergy and scholars. And it is not hard to see why.

You can't have tolerance of one thing when another is not-tolerated. Many muslims hate the European discrimination against their people, and many Europeans will happily fuel the fire.

It is a serious issue to Muslims, if we cannot understand that, then we are just providing a bad stereo-type for ourselves to Muslims.

Denmark owes an apology. It should be heartfelt, and the editors and satirists should be chastised for what they have done. That can all be done with a free-press that environment. It won't keep them from doing it again, but the monarch can certainly express her displeasure and many Danes will take that to heart.

Regards,
Scott

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Maggie, those fundamentalists you refer to that call themselves Christian Fundamentalists are just as big of a set of scumbags as the Muslim Fundamentalists. Anyone doing violence in the name of their religion is in the same category as far as I am concerned. It is not a matter, for most thinking people, of talking bad about Islamic Fundies who murder, bomb, behead etc. . . . as being bad, while those who bomb abortion clinics are thought of as OK. Anyone with half a brain realizes that the abortion bomber and the bomber who sets off an explosive in an Israeli night club are the same guy, just wearing a different hat.

Religious fanatacism in any form only leads to a bad ending. Doesn't matter to me whether the guy pulling out my fingernails has a Q'uran in his pocket or a Bible, my fingernails still hurt.

B.