• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has been your experience?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Sorry? Your snippet 100% misses my point.

IF there were an actual god? There would only be the one (1) version of Christianity.

What mere human (false) version could compete?

The 40,000 different brands cannot all be right-- they contradict one another in fatal ways.

But.

They can certainly all be wrong.
No. I didn't miss. That was my point.

nPeace

Veteran Member
My, my how judgmental you are! You assume I've never done any of those things!

Ain't YOU just some sort of self-proclaimed above-it-all.

What ever happened to "Judge Not, lest Ye Be Judged"?
Wooah. That for just responding to your post. Sorry. Definitely won't happen again.
You seem riled.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't see a dark side. Actually I see a bright side, and if indeed there was a sinister plot by those who put it together, I personally want to thank those guys. Not only I, but I'm sure a few who posted their experience on this thread would do the same.

In a positive perspective concerning my belief in the scriptures and beliefs of different religions they all have helped people over the millennia. Based on the testimony of the believers that claim their scripture helped them I could not give any one belief superior over others, and this would include yours. I consider the religions progressive in their spiritual guidance for humanity, In this progression of spiritual Revelation they advance the spiritual potential of helping individuals and humanity as a whole.

nPeace

Veteran Member
My, my how judgmental you are! You assume I've never done any of those things!

Ain't YOU just some sort of self-proclaimed above-it-all.

What ever happened to "Judge Not, lest Ye Be Judged"?
Sorry you felt judged by my post. It wasn't meant to be viewed that way. I think it's just a matter of how different we humans see things.
So since you have thoroughly researched the subject, could you point to the text(s) that let you to conclude that the Bible teaches that God will roast people in a burning pit forever and ever, amen?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Share your experience.
What has been your experience with the Bible?
Has the Bible helped people, or hindered them - changed people for the better, or for the worst?

My experience with the Bible, is that it has helped people in a major amount of ways, and changed people's lives for the better.
For example, I have seen people who were at war, become at peace with the help of the Bible; people who had violent tempers become lambs; people with marriage problems, racial differences etc. The list is very long.

What has been your experience?
If possible, please give an example or examples.
My experience - Boring book. But its history is interesting.

nPeace

Veteran Member
In a positive perspective concerning my belief in the scriptures and beliefs of different religions they all have helped people over the millennia. Based on the testimony of the believers that claim their scripture helped them I could not give any one belief superior over others, and this would include yours. I consider the religions progressive in their spiritual guidance for humanity, In this progression of spiritual Revelation they advance the spiritual potential of helping individuals and humanity as a whole.
That's positive.
My experience with religion is that it can be a force for good, if its advocates, as apostle Paul put it,
Do [the] best to win full approval in God's sight, as a worker who is not ashamed of his work, one who correctly teaches the message of God's truth.
2 Timothy 2:15
It is known by many, that, rather than teach what the Bible says, most preachers choose to tickle the ears of their listeners.
The time will come when people will not listen to sound doctrine, but will follow their own desires and will collect for themselves more and more teachers who will tell them what they are itching to hear.
2 Timothy 4:3
So such religion end up being not a force for good.

My experience with the Bible, on the other hand have shown that it is always a force for good. It may come as a surprise to many, but most, what we call, non-believers, or people who don't attend church services, do value the Bible and view it as good. They may not understand it, but they appreciate when people talk about it, and may even shed some light on its writings.
I think that's because they want to understand it. They are apparently not content with most of what is taught about it by mainstream religion.
Overall though, people seem to think the Bible is, as they put it, "a good book."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That's positive.
My experience with religion is that it can be a force for good, if its advocates, as apostle Paul put it, 2 Timothy 2:15
It is known by many, that, rather than teach what the Bible says, most preachers choose to tickle the ears of their listeners.

My experience with the Bible, on the other hand have shown that it is always a force for good. It may come as a surprise to many, but most, what we call, non-believers, or people who don't attend church services, do value the Bible and view it as good. They may not understand it, but they appreciate when people talk about it, and may even shed some light on its writings.
I think that's because they want to understand it. They are apparently not content with most of what is taught about it by mainstream religion.
Overall though, people seem to think the Bible is, as they put it, "a good book."

Again, with caution I do not necessarily consider the Bible any more a 'good book' than the scripture of any other religion. On the personal level many different believers claim benefits remain anecdotal and not consistent. It remains a problem with the Bible and the believers concerning relating to those who believe differently and science on a group and global level in part because of ancient nature of the book.

Bob the Unbeliever

Wooah. That for just responding to your post. Sorry. Definitely won't happen again.
You seem riled.

"respond"? And you are surprised when someone calls you on your judgmental attitude?

You must live in an echo chamber.... I'm so sorry for your sheltered existence.

Bob the Unbeliever

Sorry you felt judged by my post. It wasn't meant to be viewed that way. I think it's just a matter of how different we humans see things.

I've been preached at and proselyted at all my life. The immediate assumption from bible-pushers, that I somehow never read the infernal book is really annoying.

Or worse, that if I would only "see" the bible as they "see" it, it'll magically be Roses, Gold-encrusted Streets and Candy for Breakfast Every Day. Uggg.

So since you have thoroughly researched the subject, could you point to the text(s) that let you to conclude that the Bible teaches that God will roast people in a burning pit forever and ever, amen?

Multiple examples of Jesus warning followers of gnashing of teeth, and how much better to self-mutilate than to miss out on the "wonderment" of heaven-- but to instead enjoy the endless torment of his "loving" father's Specially Created Torture Pit.

Then, there's the entire book of Revelations Of John.

I'm not here to educate your lack, sorry. I used to care-- but the degree to which bible-pushers are willing to go, to ignore what the printed words actually say, and to insert fairy-tale "meaning" that is the actual opposite of those words? Is actually painful to witness-- the level of cognitive dissonance required for such a feat of mental juggling is ... well, a testament to how deep the brainwashing can go.

Stockholm syndrome, anyone?

nPeace

Veteran Member
"respond"? And you are surprised when someone calls you on your judgmental attitude?

You must live in an echo chamber.... I'm so sorry for your sheltered existence.
Personally, I think you were looking for an opportunity to "fling a few stones" my way, but you could find no convenient opportunity, so you grabbed the first post you thought you could perhaps get away with it.
A post that clearly doesn't fit your target, but like I said, you seem riled.
Hope a calm set in soon.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I've been preached at and proselyted at all my life. The immediate assumption from bible-pushers, that I somehow never read the infernal book is really annoying.

Or worse, that if I would only "see" the bible as they "see" it, it'll magically be Roses, Gold-encrusted Streets and Candy for Breakfast Every Day. Uggg.

Multiple examples of Jesus warning followers of gnashing of teeth, and how much better to self-mutilate than to miss out on the "wonderment" of heaven-- but to instead enjoy the endless torment of his "loving" father's Specially Created Torture Pit.

Then, there's the entire book of Revelations Of John.

I'm not here to educate your lack, sorry. I used to care-- but the degree to which bible-pushers are willing to go, to ignore what the printed words actually say, and to insert fairy-tale "meaning" that is the actual opposite of those words? Is actually painful to witness-- the level of cognitive dissonance required for such a feat of mental juggling is ... well, a testament to how deep the brainwashing can go.

Stockholm syndrome, anyone?
There aren't any scriptures here. Have you made up your mind that the scriptures you read say what you think they mean, so that when Jesus said, "...tear out your eye, and throw it away...", that's literally what he was asking us?:) So when he said there will be gnashing their teeth, the only thing that causes us to gnash our teeth is excruciating pain, so that must mean some kind of torment. So therefore hell must be hot?:)
I'm just amused, I hope that doesn't give you the impression I am making fun of you or I am taking this as a joke.

Seriously though, it is quite possible to misinterpret and misunderstand the Bible, but I never thought I could understand it on my own. I sought help, and I think it was given. That's how I see it.
My opinion is, I think all of us can get help if we sincerely want it, and humbly seek it.:innocent:

Oh. I do find the above funny though.:D

Bob the Unbeliever

Personally, I think you were looking for an opportunity to "fling a few stones" my way, but you could find no convenient opportunity, so you grabbed the first post you thought you could perhaps get away with it.
A post that clearly doesn't fit your target, but like I said, you seem riled.
Hope a calm set in soon.

So far? Every one of your replies to me, have either been "holier than thou" or "patronizing", or both.

The above, for example-- is both. In fact, that describes most of your replies to others.

You are too quick to assume that people are some how not as "blessed" as you seem to believe you are, nor do they possess your "superior" bible "understanding". That attitude comes across in most of what you say to others, and is evidenced by their replies to you.

Yet? In the above? You seem to believe you are somehow ... a "victim".... !

Sad, really.

As for riled? Well-- I am rather annoyed at you judging me without having had the slightest chance to know who I am, or where I came from, or how I got here.

But riled? Dude! I did not give you permission to rile me up. I've argued with a lot worse than you are, so don't you worry your pretty little head about it, y'hear?

(notebook: that last was an example of 'patronizing', in case you needed an example of how you come across to others...)

Bob the Unbeliever

There aren't any scriptures here. Have you made up your mind that the scriptures you read say what you think they mean, so that when Jesus said, "...tear out your eye, and throw it away...", that's literally what he was asking us?:) So when he said there will be gnashing their teeth, the only thing that causes us to gnash our teeth is excruciating pain, so that must mean some kind of torment. So therefore hell must be hot?:)
I'm just amused, I hope that doesn't give you the impression I am making fun of you or I am taking this as a joke.

Seriously though, it is quite possible to misinterpret and misunderstand the Bible, but I never thought I could understand it on my own. I sought help, and I think it was given. That's how I see it.
My opinion is, I think all of us can get help if we sincerely want it, and humbly seek it.:innocent:

Oh. I do find the above funny though.:D

Here? In the above? We see another FINE example of a Holier Than Thou attitude, coupled with an egotistical certainty that he's Magically Superior at "understanding" the bible.

It's as if I saw the future! I wrote my previous post, before reading this most patronizing one.

Was I right, when I predicted he would twist to the exact opposite, from what the words actually say?

Here's a Fine Example of that!

nPeace

Veteran Member
So far? Every one of your replies to me, have either been "holier than thou" or "patronizing", or both.

The above, for example-- is both. In fact, that describes most of your replies to others.

You are too quick to assume that people are some how not as "blessed" as you seem to believe you are, nor do they possess your "superior" bible "understanding". That attitude comes across in most of what you say to others, and is evidenced by their replies to you.

Yet? In the above? You seem to believe you are somehow ... a "victim".... !

Sad, really.

As for riled? Well-- I am rather annoyed at you judging me without having had the slightest chance to know who I am, or where I came from, or how I got here.

But riled? Dude! I did not give you permission to rile me up. I've argued with a lot worse than you are, so don't you worry your pretty little head about it, y'hear?

(notebook: that last was an example of 'patronizing', in case you needed an example of how you come across to others...)
I'm the one assuming?? ?:)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Here? In the above? We see another FINE example of a Holier Than Thou attitude, coupled with an egotistical certainty that he's Magically Superior at "understanding" the bible.

It's as if I saw the future! I wrote my previous post, before reading this most patronizing one.

Was I right, when I predicted he would twist to the exact opposite, from what the words actually say?

Here's a Fine Example of that!
So it's okay for atheist, and unbelievers to flat out, dogmatically, and cynically, discredit the bible and God.
Christians, however are being "holier than thou", when they defend it.:)
We must be like the sheep and lambs we are - and remain silent. Or bleat.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bob the Unbeliever

So it's okay for atheist, and unbelievers to flat out, dogmatically, and cynically, discredit the bible and God.
We must be like the sheep and lambs we are - and remain silent. Or bleat.:rolleyes:

It is all in how you phrase your words.

Most atheists are critical of the bible itself. Alas, many christians take personal affront from any and all criticism of what they believe is a Magically Significant Book.

And there-- see? I was extending my criticism of the bible, to behavior on the part of some christians. And I deliberately chose a high-index word, "magic".

I have in the past, asked of christians this: "Do you believe in Magic?"

The reply is typically of the nature, "no" with varying degrees of emphasis.

So the follow up question to 'do you believe in magic' is "Do you believe in (a) God?"
And, of course, being christians, they say "Yes". Sometimes with qualifiers.

And I am sad-- because I then realize they had lied to me on the first question...

Here's a News Flash: You can, with one fell stroke, prove all atheists the world over, by producing your god in such a way, that it is unquestionably the bible's god! No? Well.... until you do that? Your bible and your god remain... discredited.

Bob the Unbeliever

No. Christians are acting holier than thou when they talk down to people about any subject.

They are acting holier than thou, when they belittle the life experience of everyone else but themselves.

They are acting holier than thou, when they behave as if they have superior knowledge/understanding/Status over everyone else they speak to.

They are acting holier than thou, when they claim that they and only they have the Magic Decoder Ring* that "explains" the Bible.

Newsflash: you can defend your bible, and your god, without belittling, talking down to, or claiming to be magically superior to others... It is possible. Look to this very forum for numerous examples.

* Magic Decoder Ring: Replace this place-holder with your favorite Magical Device/Being/Teaching-Method. I've seen people use the Holy Haunt, Their local community--to the exclusion of all others, TV preachers, charismatic personalities, and so on. One of the funniest, though? Wikipedia.....! I know--right?

nPeace

Veteran Member

Most atheists are critical of the bible itself. Alas, many christians take personal affront from any and all criticism of what they believe is a Magically Significant Book.

And there-- see? I was extending my criticism of the bible, to behavior on the part of some christians. And I deliberately chose a high-index word, "magic".

I have in the past, asked of christians this: "Do you believe in Magic?"

The reply is typically of the nature, "no" with varying degrees of emphasis.

So the follow up question to 'do you believe in magic' is "Do you believe in (a) God?"
And, of course, being christians, they say "Yes". Sometimes with qualifiers.

And I am sad-- because I then realize they had lied to me on the first question...

Here's a News Flash: You can, with one fell stroke, prove all atheists the world over, by producing your god in such a way, that it is unquestionably the bible's god! No? Well.... until you do that? Your bible and your god remain... discredited.
My point is not whether the Bible is true or not.
I don't think you missed the point either.
You started off with
Why don't you finish it, and just give me the excuse to run through just a few of your posts, to find the perfect example of how to phrase your words that you don't sound 'holier than thou'.

Not that I want that task anyhow, even though it wouldn't take me more than a few minutes.:)

Oh. You added it.
Well I have better things to do, since I don't want to be butting my head against a brick.
The truth is sometimes we take things personally even when what is said is not meant to be taken personally, only because we feel strongly about our position.
Also because, sometimes the truth hurts.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's positive.
My experience with religion is that it can be a force for good, if its advocates, as apostle Paul put it, 2 Timothy 2:15

You have not been with a lot of atheists it seems...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What atheist does this? I have seen creationist earn this cynicism when they refuse to debate honestly and properly. Or have you forgotten the exchange that we had recently?

Some Christians make the error of thinking that a literal interpretation of the Bible cannot be refuted when such a refutation is child's play. When they refuse to face reason they will get such cynical remarks as "Ice floats in my world. Does it float in yours?" Those remarks are due to the bad behavior of literalists. To paraphrase the Bible, you reap what you sow.