• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What harm is there in NOT believing God ?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
To me this is easy.
The people who wrote Scripture were primitive, and didn't understand a lot of things.
Doesn't make them bad people.

I think it means God's design make dark and light, as creation means bringing something
to existence and hence because of light there's morning and night.

I appreciate that you believe this. But it's not what's generally taught by Abrahamic religion.
What they do teach causes a great deal of damage. Mainly because it's based on the opinions of primitive folks from long ago.
Tom

I don't see any verse at least in the quran talking about punishing someone because
of his gender.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think it means God's design make dark and light, as creation means bringing something
to existence and hence because of light there's morning and night.
Or maybe God doesn't design anything.

That's what I see.

God exists, but doesn't design. Or even care. God is far beyond such human characteristics.

I don't see any verse at least in the quran talking about punishing someone because
of his gender.
Other people seem to do so.

I find secular morality far superior to Muslim morality. This is just one reason.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is only a biggie if there is a heaven.
Not even then, if Almighty God is a benevolent being.
He just fixes what's wrong with His Creation and then we all get on with Eternity.
He is capable of doing that, right? Almighty God? Omnimax God?

Do you believe that God can do that?
Tom

firedragon

Veteran Member
How is that different if you believe in god, other then not realising / admitting that they are assumptions as well (on worse evidence)?

The question was not about "assuming God existed". It was a whole different question, and the answer was completely irrelevant to your comment.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not even then, if Almighty God is a benevolent being.
He just fixes what's wrong with His Creation and then we all get on with Eternity.
No, I do not believe that God fixes anything that is wrong with humans.
We will reap what we sow and that is in accordance with God's justice.
He is capable of doing that, right? Almighty God? Omnimax God?

Do you believe that God can do that?
Tom
Yes, God is fully capable but God does not do everything He is capable of doing.
God only does what He wishes to do.

“God witnesseth that there is no God but Him, the Gracious, the Best-Beloved. All grace and bounty are His. To whomsoever He will He giveth whatsoever is His wish. He, verily, is the All-Powerful, the Almighty, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 73

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Or maybe God doesn't design anything.

That's what I see.

God exists, but doesn't design. Or even care. God is far beyond such human characteristics.

I believe in logic and design.

Other people seem to do so.

I find secular morality far superior to Muslim morality. This is just one reason.
Tom

It depends on the person and not in the belief, it doesn't make sense to use the broad
brush to describe people's behavior being secular or religious.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No biggie for you because good people go to heaven no matter what they believe...
That is just my personal opinion. Don't quote me on that because God has the final say. ;)

Nope, no heaven to go to anyway but you are welcome to your beliefs

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We'll be dead, how do we find out with no brain activity?
The brain is physical so it dies when we die physically. Our brain does not go with us to the afterlife, which is a spiritual world, not a physical world.

The soul works through the brain and while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but when we die and no longer have a physical body the soul continues to live. It lives forever, and that is why it is called an immortal soul.

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind remains the same person, and he goes to the spiritual world where he continues the life he conducted in the physical world. The soul takes on some kind of a spiritual form made up of elements that exist in the spiritual world.

After we die out spirit (soul) passes into the spiritual world, becomes associated with a spiritual body, and continues to think. Below is an apt description of what I believe happens when we die.

421. When the body is no longer able to perform the bodily functions in the natural world that correspond to the spirit’s thoughts and affections, which the spirit has from the spiritual world, man is said to die. This takes place when the respiration of the lungs and the beatings of the heart cease. But the man does not die; he is merely separated from the bodily part that was of use to him in the world, while the man himself continues to live. It is said that the man himself continues to live since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit, for it is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. Evidently, then, the death of man is merely his passing from one world into another. And this is why in the Word in its internal sense “death” signifies resurrection and continuation of life. Heaven and Hell, p. 351

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The brain is physical so it dies when we die physically. Our brain does not go with us to the afterlife, which is a spiritual world, not a physical world.

The soul works through the brain and while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but when we die and no longer have a physical body the soul continues to live. It lives forever, and that is why it is called an immortal soul.

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind remains the same person, and he goes to the spiritual world where he continues the life he conducted in the physical world. The soul takes on some kind of a spiritual form made up of elements that exist in the spiritual world.

After we die out spirit (soul) passes into the spiritual world, becomes associated with a spiritual body, and continues to think. Below is an apt description of what I believe happens when we die.

421. When the body is no longer able to perform the bodily functions in the natural world that correspond to the spirit’s thoughts and affections, which the spirit has from the spiritual world, man is said to die. This takes place when the respiration of the lungs and the beatings of the heart cease. But the man does not die; he is merely separated from the bodily part that was of use to him in the world, while the man himself continues to live. It is said that the man himself continues to live since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit, for it is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. Evidently, then, the death of man is merely his passing from one world into another. And this is why in the Word in its internal sense “death” signifies resurrection and continuation of life. Heaven and Hell, p. 351

Never seen a spirit, never heard of one being seen, measured or weighed.

I can only assume they are as real as heaven, if you know what i mean

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Never seen a spirit, never heard of one being seen, measured or weighed.
How could you see, measure, or weigh something that has no physical properties?
But there are some people who have heard spirits speak from the spirit realm.

The Afterlife Revealed

At the very foundation of religious faith and hope is a belief that consciousness will survive death and that we will live on in another dimension of reality. But that foundation easily crumbles when scientific minds are unable to wrap their brains around an afterlife, when they are unable to visualize a non-material world. As the foundation gives way, the philosophy of materialism takes hold and gives rise to moral decadence, egocentricity, hypocrisy, hatred, disorder, flux, strife, chaos, and fear. Such seems to be the state of the world today. There is so much to be found outside the highly guarded boundaries of mainstream science and orthodox religion for those willing to open their minds to it, for those willing to recognize that the dissemination of Truth did not stop with the good books of organized religion and cannot always be found in the laboratory.

Beginning in 1848, a number of sensitive people began developing as mediums, bringing forth communications from the spirit world. One of the skeptics investigating the "popular madness" was Professor Robert Hare of the University of Pennsylvania. Intending to debunk it all, Hare would, after extensive research, become a believer. When he asked an apparently advanced spirit what it was all about, he was told that it was "a deliberate effort, on the part of the inhabitants of the higher spheres, to break through the partition which has interfered with the attainment, by mortals, of a correct idea of their destiny after death." Unfortunately, both orthodox religion and mainstream science, acting out of ego and fear, have rebuked the efforts of those inhabitants of the higher spheres to enlighten us, thus permitting the foundations of both faith and hope to further crumble.

In The Afterlife Revealed, Michael Tymn sets forth some of the most credible messages from the spirits relative to the nature of their world. Instead of a heaven-hell dichotomy, we are told that there are many levels, or as Jesus is quoted, "many mansions," and that we cross over to the "other side" based on what might be called a "moral specific gravity." We discover a Divine plan - one of attainment and attunement, of gradual spiritual growth, of evolution of spirit through progressively higher planes. We see how we are really souls occupying bodies rather than bodies housing souls and how our souls are progressing in finding their way back to Oneness with the Creator through the challenges, the adversities, the trials and tribulations offered us in a particular lifetime.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which is why I feel like atheists should try Buddhism. But most won't because thet buy materialism hook line and sinker.

Athiests can come up with whatever they wish. Unfortunately I see they do not have a power to unite to bring about lasting change, and I see they never will have. If they did, they would collectively offer high ideals and a way to unity. If it was like you offered and all athiests started trying to follow the path of Buddha, that then would become a belief, making themselves a God, which is what I see Buddhist do when they take God out of the Message.

With God, a way to the peace security of all humanity has been given.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's not exactly a valid answer.
That's more like a consequence of not being a believer of that specific thing IN THE EVENT that that specific thing is actually true.

The OP question is rather asking about what the harm is of not believing in gods (any gods - including non-existing ones since he didn't specify a god; just the idea of "belief in gods") in daily life.

The harm Is, that without submitting to God, one is trapped in self, as In the end, to beleive in God is to become selfless.

So if a person wants to do their best in life, be good and loving to all people, then without submitting to God, to become selfless, they can not be the best they can be, self will be their barrier.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I disagree.
Rather like "The opposite of love is not hate. It's apathy."
Tom

Tom, it is not possible to disagree, unless one want to actually change meanings of words and their opposites.

The opposite of apathy is enthusiasm, interest, concern or passion.

The opposite of Love is hate, loathe or detest.

Regards Tony