• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What harm is there in believing God ?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Non believers, provide example of any harm in believing God ?
I'm a theist, but can still give lots of examples. Some folks who believe in God also believe God will do everything for them, so they let their family starve, repeating, "God will take care of us." Then they die of malnutrition. Still others rely on God to protect them from coronavirus. Instead of a mask for protection, they rely on God. Then they die, and wonder why.

chinu

chinu
I'm a theist, but can still give lots of examples. Some folks who believe in God also believe God will do everything for them, so they let their family starve, repeating, "God will take care of us." Then they die of malnutrition. Still others rely on God to protect them from coronavirus. Instead of a mask for protection, they rely on God. Then they die, and wonder why.
But this is NOT believe in God.

Aren't you aware of that story of a man sitting on a rooftop. Water is rising. A few boats with come along offering help. Man insist "God must come to help me". Man drowns coming at the "Gate of Heaven", blaming God for not rescuing him. to which God answers "I send many people with boats" ?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Non believers, provide example of any harm in believing God ?
Btw...that is a very good question, really... it is the main argument of "le pari pascalien", Pascal's wager.

But believing or not believing depends on our freedom. Which is the most sacred thing we have and I am sure Pascal would agree with me.:)

Altfish

Veteran Member
Now, also tell how do you think "believing in God" is involved in this crime ?
It was carried out by an Islamic extremist suicide bomber. His religion was foremost in his decision to kill people including children

chinu

chinu
So you're saying they are liars. You want me to call you a liar because you claim to believe in God?
Some kids think they are grown up enough to handle certain things/circumstances. Are they liars ? No they are just innocent.

Of course, I am the child of God, I can take wrong decisions. But, am NOT a liar in this case.