• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens when we die?

C-Faith

I don't believe I ever get comfortable with death. It is a consolation that I go on after death but I am starting to think that returning to this world as wicked as it is getting isn't good for my health and I may ask God for an alternative.

In the book of Luke 16: 19-31, we read about "Lazarus and the poor man". Both went to what is called the "Hadean world" - a place where one "waits" for judgment. There are 2 parts - the land of paradise and the land of torment..........Those who did not believe or obey the word of God will go to the land of torment and the other to paradise. This is why it is important to believe in Christ Jesus (John 3: 16) and do the will of the Father (God) in the New Testament (Ephesians 5: 17)

Muffled

Jesus in me
In the book of Luke 16: 19-31, we read about "Lazarus and the poor man". Both went to what is called the "Hadean world" - a place where one "waits" for judgment. There are 2 parts - the land of paradise and the land of torment..........Those who did not believe or obey the word of God will go to the land of torment and the other to paradise. This is why it is important to believe in Christ Jesus (John 3: 16) and do the will of the Father (God) in the New Testament (Ephesians 5: 17)

I believe a judgement comes quickly but the parable is about the final judgement.

Heb 9:27 And inasmuch as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this cometh judgment;

Rev 20:15 And if any was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire.

C-Faith

I believe a judgement comes quickly but the parable is about the final judgement.

Heb 9:27 And inasmuch as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this cometh judgment;

Rev 20:15 And if any was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire.

When one dies, he/she lies in wait for the final judgment, but you will be either in Paradise or Torment until then.

C-Faith

When one dies, he/she lies in wait for the final judgment, but you will be either in Paradise or Torment until then.
]

Correction: Lazarus was the poor man who went to Paradise and the Rich man went to torment.

Here is what we can take from this: This is not a parable, and even if it was it doesn't make it any less real. It is not a parable because it contains a feature that makes it different from the other parables from Jesus: This story includes actual names of people.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe there is no evidence to support this concept other than a metaphorical view unless you are talking about the Roman Catholic belief in purgatory which has no basis that I know of.

Muffled

Jesus in me
]

Correction: Lazarus was the poor man who went to Paradise and the Rich man went to torment.

Here is what we can take from this: This is not a parable, and even if it was it doesn't make it any less real. It is not a parable because it contains a feature that makes it different from the other parables from Jesus: This story includes actual names of people.

I believe having names mentioned is inconclusive. Fictional stories often have names of people in them.

C-Faith

I believe there is no evidence to support this concept other than a metaphorical view unless you are talking about the Roman Catholic belief in purgatory which has no basis that I know of.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't believe I ever get comfortable with death. It is a consolation that I go on after death but I am starting to think that returning to this world as wicked as it is getting isn't good for my health and I may ask God for an alternative.
Yes you certainly sound frightened of death, sad really.

Acim

Revelation all the time
There is no death.
We don't die.
Individual (ego) consciousness passes into the nothingness from which it came.

moorea944

It's a parable....

12jtartar

Premium Member
Muffled,
It is extremely important to understand what the Bible says about death. The truth is, no on can understand the Bible's message unless they understand what death is.
There are many Scriptures about death, but it seems that people only believe what they want to believe, no matter what the Bible says.
Notice first what God told Adam about his coming death, Genesis 3:19. God told Adam that he was dust and that he would return to dust!! So why do people believe that dead people go to heaven, was it to reward Adam because he had disobeyed God??
The Bible actually shows that, as far as death is concerned, people are no different than animals, who are also called souls, Ecclesiastes 3:18-20. The term breath, Hebrew Ruach, means spirit also, which is a force from God, that stops at death, or figuratively, returns to God, Ecclesiastes 12:7. Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6, 10, tells us about death, there is no knowledge, the dead know nothing at all, and they have no part in anything done under the sun, no work no planning no wisdom.
It seem very clear what we are told at, Psalms 146:3,4, on the day we die our spirit goes out, back to God, and our thoughts stop, perish, die.
Job has some interesting points about death! Job actually wanted to die to get out of his misery, Job 14:13. There must not be torment there. At Job 14:1,2 tells us that a man's days are few, he comes like a flower, then cut down, and like a shadow, he does not continue.
Job 14:21 tells us that when a man dies, if his sons are honored, he does not know it. Why??? Because he knows nothing, because his thoughts have stopped!!
Another point to show that there is no feeling in death is; at death Jesus went into Hades, or the grave, Acts 2:27,31. Jesus was perfect, never sinned!!! Jesus surely would not have gone into a place of torment!!! Also Psalms 6:4,5, 115:17, The dead do not praise God!!!

moorea944

Muffled,
It is extremely important to understand what the Bible says about death. The truth is, no on can understand the Bible's message unless they understand what death is.
There are many Scriptures about death, but it seems that people only believe what they want to believe, no matter what the Bible says.
Notice first what God told Adam about his coming death, Genesis 3:19. God told Adam that he was dust and that he would return to dust!! So why do people believe that dead people go to heaven, was it to reward Adam because he had disobeyed God??
The Bible actually shows that, as far as death is concerned, people are no different than animals, who are also called souls, Ecclesiastes 3:18-20. The term breath, Hebrew Ruach, means spirit also, which is a force from God, that stops at death, or figuratively, returns to God, Ecclesiastes 12:7. Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6, 10, tells us about death, there is no knowledge, the dead know nothing at all, and they have no part in anything done under the sun, no work no planning no wisdom.
It seem very clear what we are told at, Psalms 146:3,4, on the day we die our spirit goes out, back to God, and our thoughts stop, perish, die.
Job has some interesting points about death! Job actually wanted to die to get out of his misery, Job 14:13. There must not be torment there. At Job 14:1,2 tells us that a man's days are few, he comes like a flower, then cut down, and like a shadow, he does not continue.
Job 14:21 tells us that when a man dies, if his sons are honored, he does not know it. Why??? Because he knows nothing, because his thoughts have stopped!!
Another point to show that there is no feeling in death is; at death Jesus went into Hades, or the grave, Acts 2:27,31. Jesus was perfect, never sinned!!! Jesus surely would not have gone into a place of torment!!! Also Psalms 6:4,5, 115:17, The dead do not praise God!!!

Wow, great post!!!! I completely agree with you. The bible is so clear on so many things, even death. Eccl, Psalms, Romans, Job, etc, all have verses in it that tell us what happens at death, esp, Eccl. The living know that they will die, the dead know nothing. In death you cannot praise God, etc. ......

GreenKepi

Those who loved Jesus Christ stay with Him in a paradise until after the 7 Year Tribulation. Then they will live with Jesus on this planet during His 1000 year rule.

Those who didn't love Jesus Christ go to whats left of Sheol for 1000 years until Judgment Day.

Jesus will never rule from Jerusalem...He will never come back and rule a 1000 years. Jeremiah 22:24-30...says He will not. He's from the "seed" of Jehoiachim. King David was the last of his line to sit on the throne. Jehoiakim was placed on the throne by Pharaoh Neco and as a sign of Pharaoh's power over Eliakim, his name was changed to Jehoiakim (2 Kings 23:34).

Ben Avraham

What happens when we die!

Well, I hope I won't be raining on your parade but, to tell you the truth, when we die, we are taken into Sheol aka the grave which is the only thing eternal about man. According to the gospel of Jesus which was the Tanach, no one will ever return from there. (II Samuel 12:23; Isaiah 26:14; Job 7:9; Psalms 49:12, 20)

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Wow, great post!!!! I completely agree with you. The bible is so clear on so many things, even death. Eccl, Psalms, Romans, Job, etc, all have verses in it that tell us what happens at death, esp, Eccl. The living know that they will die, the dead know nothing. In death you cannot praise God, etc. ......

I believe you have been duped by someone, the JW's?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus will never rule from Jerusalem...He will never come back and rule a 1000 years. Jeremiah 22:24-30...says He will not. He's from the "seed" of Jehoiachim. King David was the last of his line to sit on the throne. Jehoiakim was placed on the throne by Pharaoh Neco and as a sign of Pharaoh's power over Eliakim, his name was changed to Jehoiakim (2 Kings 23:34).

I believe your statements are not scripturally valid.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You go in the same place you were before being born.

Ciao

- viole

This kind of goes up the ally of this verse: Ecclesiastes 12:7

"then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it."

Sometimes the Bible surprises me a bit compared to what I hear often.