• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens when we die?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
If the "wages of sin is death" (Rom 6.23) why are we resurrected? For there is a "resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous" (Acts 24.15). Is it so we can "all stand before the judgement seat of God" (Rom 14.10), and if so, why would we want to when we have already died for our sins? And also, if God can "destroy both body and soul in Gehenna" (Mt10.28) and if that is what the resurrection is about, why does he resurrect the soul when he already knows the body? And if the soul has it made clear what the facts are, why would it defy and die? And why stand before his judgement seat anyway considering we are "judged already" (Jh3.18- normally says 'condemned'). And if the body dies through sin and therefore judgement, why judge the soul. Is it that the body is judged and dies? and then the soul the second death? (Rev) But if that is complete destruction, how then is Christ, "the saviour of the world" (Jh4.42) and also it says of God, "will have all mankind(anthropos) saved" (1Tim2.4) Surely if the Christ is the Saviour of the world, he will save it and therefore all mankind is saved. But how then do they die? The soul must survive if the body dies in order that "all mankind" is saved. Yet we know he can destroy "body and soul", so does this mean there are many levels of soul, or perhaps there is a deeper self to the person.
Yet (1Pet2.11) says that worldly passions in the body "war against the soul". In (Jms5.20) turning someone from their sins will "save a soul from death" which fits the lords words and Gehenna. It is appointed that "all mankind shall die once and then face judgement" (Heb9.27). The lord himself says that if you "lose your soul" you will "save it" (Lk9.24) the Greek often rendered as destroy and not "lose". Thus now it seems that the destroying of the soul will save the soul. Is this the same soul we speak of? And though Peter spoke to many and could have therefore been speaking in the plural, is says that "you have received the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls(1Pet1.9) which we might take as being more than one soul if we take scripture as sacred text which stands apart and also together. Is that the clue? Are there more than one soul as the anceints used to think? If so, then a soul and body can be destroyed and yet all mankind can be saved. Rebirth or reincarnation as some say would then be right. And the lord says that you "must be born again" if you are to enter the kingdom of God (Jh3.3) to which Nicodemus asks him, "can you enter your mother's womb again". What if you can? If there is a spiritual mother, then why not? For Paul tells us that surely if there is a natural body there is a spiritual body.
It would mean that the new testament, much like the old testament, is speaking about a people, a land, a slice of time.... yet to be repeated many times over. Consider this, if we are from God, how can he do anything but save us. Does he not have a vested interest? Does he not look at himself?

So the question, what happens when we die?

Rapha

Those who loved Jesus Christ stay with Him in a paradise until after the 7 Year Tribulation. Then they will live with Jesus on this planet during His 1000 year rule.

Those who didn't love Jesus Christ go to whats left of Sheol for 1000 years until Judgment Day.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
If the "wages of sin is death" (Rom 6.23) why are we resurrected?
Many Christians would say death in that verse= hell. So, God resurrects people with immortal bodies so they can suffer forever. How omni-benevolent of him.
why would we want to when we have already died for our sins?
It's not that we want to, it's that God wants to judge us. Death is the beginning of our eternity in the Christian mind.
Is this the same soul we speak of?
It's not that the soul is different, it's the destruction that is.

Robert.Evans

Those who loved Jesus Christ stay with Him in a paradise until after the 7 Year Tribulation. Then they will live with Jesus on this planet during His 1000 year rule.

Those who didn't love Jesus Christ go to whats left of Sheol for 1000 years until Judgment Day.
Then what?

Rapha

Then what?
Then Yahweh returns to earth in His Golden Pyramid and rules forever, and sheol and Hades both collapse into the Lake of Fire.

BTW, if you want to know what the Lake of Fire is like, surprisingly the film 'Constantine' with Keane Reeves is close to what it is like down there. Its just not so windy.

Robert.Evans

Then Yahweh returns to earth in His Golden Pyramid and rules forever, and sheol and Hades both collapse into the Lake of Fire.

BTW, if you want to know what the Lake of Fire is like, surprisingly the film 'Constantine' with Keane Reeves is close to what it is like down there. Its just not so windy.
You think he will rule on earth? So where then is the heaven?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As you kind of pointed out, there is too much going on in a Bible of many books by many authors over much time. I think at this stage of our evolution we should stop looking to the Bible as THE SOURCE of information about God and the afterlife. Do you think information. knowledge and understanding was greater in those days? And that divine inspiration would only be a part of that era? Certainly not in my opinion.

My beliefs about 'What happens when we die' comes from modern experiencers of paranormal events, saints, mystics, psychics, eastern wisdom traditions and parapsychologists. From that consideration I think a pretty clear picture of 'What happens when we die' emerges. After death, we will spend time on a higher plane of reality (astral) as a continuation of our living personality and we will also reunite with many we knew from our recently ended physical life. Realizing we have more soul advancement needed, we will after considerable time on this higher plane, merge into our soul (which has memory and experiences of all our events even before this last life) and the soul will chose to start a new incarnation to grow further spiritually.

I think the ideas of 'going to heaven' and reincarnation are both true. That is what seems clear to me from the consideration of modern sources.

Robert.Evans

As you kind of pointed out, there is too much going on in a Bible of many books by many authors over much time. I think at this stage of our evolution we should stop looking to the Bible as THE SOURCE of information about God and the afterlife. Do you think information. knowledge and understanding was greater in those days? And that divine inspiration would only be a part of that era? Certainly not in my opinion.

My beliefs about 'What happens when we die' comes from modern experiencers of paranormal events, saints, mystics, psychics, eastern wisdom traditions and parapsychologists. From that consideration I think a pretty clear picture of 'What happens when we die' emerges. After death, we will spend time on a higher plane of reality (astral) as a continuation of our living personality and we will also reunite with many we knew from our recently ended physical life. Realizing we have more soul advancement needed, we will after considerable time on this higher plane, merge into our soul (which has memory and experiences of all our events even before this last life) and the soul will chose to start a new incarnation to grow further spiritually.

I think the ideas of 'going to heaven' and reincarnation are both true. That is what seems clear to me from the consideration of modern sources.
So does anyone ultimately not exist every again, death in other words?

Robert.Evans

Humans are the bridge between heaven and earth.
We are the ones that will ultimately unite heaven and earth.

We have all life within us.
But what is that life? Is that life the light of God or are you saying it us. If so, what is death?

Robert.Evans

I would like to know more about the "golden pyramid".

Demonslayer

So does anyone ultimately not exist every again, death in other words?

None of us survive our own deaths. It's a nice fantasy, but get over it people. We die, we're not permanent. Nothing is eternal, why on Baal's Blue Ball would anyone think human consciousness is??

Robert.Evans

None of us survive our own deaths. It's a nice fantasy, but get over it people. We die, we're not permanent. Nothing is eternal, why on Baal's Blue Ball would anyone think human consciousness is??
Why would you think it is not?

Demonslayer

Then Yahweh returns to earth in His Golden Pyramid and rules forever

If Yahweh rules forever after a certain point, doesn't that render everything that happened up until that point completely meaningless?

I mean YEC types say everything is only about 6000 years old right? But let's step outside that even and allow for religious people who aren't completely loony and accept the approximate age of Homo Sapiens to be ~200,000.

So all this ridiculous drama with Yahweh and Jesus' dying for everyone, and thousands of years of judgment and people going to heaven and hell and purgatory and sheol and all these places. And then one day Yahweh wraps everything up and "rules forever."

Forever.

And ever.

So let's say 25 hundred billion trillion years from now, Yahweh is still ruling in his Golden Pyramid. Statistically speaking, the ~200,000-250,000 years is meaningless. Why all the hub-bub about commandments and faith and judgment and all this, if this stretch of time is basically going to mean nothing in the face of an ever extending eternity?

Demonslayer

Why would you think it is not?

Because human consciousness is a function of the brain. Even when we are alive we don't have consciousness much of the time. All of the dreamless stages of sleep, we're not conscious. When were under anethesia, we're not consicious. When we're comatose, not conscious. Brain dead people don't know they are there.

Human consciousness is a function of our brains. No brain, no consciousness. To think when we die something flies out of our body and somehow makes us conscious again, so we remember our lives, know who our loved ones are, etc,. is so far beyond absurd it's incredible to me that even one person on the planet believes it.

But fear of death is a powerful thing and the desire to live forever causes people to kid themselves. It's all good I guess if it gets you to sleep at night.