• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens when Orthodox priests promote hatred and persecution?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
In the Orthodox Church, a priest even saying anything that is implicitly threatening is grounds for suspension if not defrocking. Attacking people is immediate grounds for both. This is a disgrace if true, and completely against the canons of our Church.

ametist

I know this isnt a question but i felt very sorry reading your post. :-( I always enjoy the company of my JW friends. I really hope they are fine.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
thanks for both your responses, its a sad state of affairs over in Ukrain and Russia too... the russian government are seeking to ban us in all of Russia (there are a lot of Witnesses in Russia!)

Big_TJ

When priests themselves do not uphold Christs laws about 'love your neighbour' and promote religious persecution, their followers blindly commit acts of terror and vigilantism against innocent people.

This is happening to Jehovahs Witnesses in the Ukraine right now. News on religious persecution instigated by the Orthodox priests in Ukrain.

This is indeed sad; however, I am trying to understand how the story and the headline are related. Why did the headline spoke about the crimes "instigated by Orthodox Priests" when nothing in the story alludes to that?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
This is indeed sad; however, I am trying to understand how the story and the headline are related. Why did the headline spoke about the crimes "instigated by Orthodox Priests" when nothing in the story alludes to that?

What is happening in Ukraine and Russia is quite serious and it is being instigated by the orthodox churches over there.

the article states:
Since 2008, there have been 64 physical assaults in Ukraine against Jehovah’s Witnesses while they were engaged in or had just completed religious activity. Sixteen of these assaults were committed by Orthodox priests.

Priests themselves are instigating the violence against the Witnesses in both countries because when a mob has come against any of our congregations, many have been directed and even participated in by the priests ... Russia has just banned JW's and that means that every JW in Russia will now be charged as criminals for their religious beliefs. And when the police are called to help, no one comes. And when our brothers are taken to hospital and report the details of who assaulted them, the police note it down as 'assailants unknown' and perpetrators are not prosecuted... so there is absolutely no protection for the innocent and there is immunity for the guilty.

This is being instigated by the Russian orthodox church. And unfortunately when the church itself rallies for war, the people blindly follow (just as they did during the bloody crusades and inquisitions)

Last edited:

Big_TJ

What is happening in Ukraine and Russia is quite serious and it is being instigated by the orthodox churches over there.

the article states:
Since 2008, there have been 64 physical assaults in Ukraine against Jehovah’s Witnesses while they were engaged in or had just completed religious activity. Sixteen of these assaults were committed by Orthodox priests.

Priests themselves are instigating the violence against the Witnesses in both countries because when a mob has come against any of our congregations, many have been directed and even participated in by the priests ... Russia has just banned JW's and that means that every JW in Russia will now be charged as criminals for their religious beliefs. And when the police are called to help, no one comes. And when our brothers are taken to hospital and report the details of who assaulted them, the police note it down as 'assailants unknown' and perpetrators are not prosecuted... so there is absolutely no protection for the innocent and there is immunity for the guilty.

This is being instigated by the Russian orthodox church. And unfortunately when the church itself rallies for war, the people blindly follow (just as they did during the bloody crusades and inquisitions)

What's the source of for the numbers that the article quoted? Also, the article mentioned "16 assaults committed by the priests." It also mentioned burning of Kingdom Halls and other attacks that are extremely said, but didn't attribute them to the orthodox priests. So, of 64 attacks, 16 (or 25%) are committed by Orthodox priests, that means 75% is committed by some other agents. These other agents also commit (or attempt to commit) arsons and the sorts. Seems to me that to have all this under a headline of Orthodox Priest committing atrocities is extremely unfortunate and just as sad as the items that the article claims is happening. I am force to question whether the article is accurately reporting what is really happening.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What's the source of for the numbers that the article quoted? Also, the article mentioned "16 assaults committed by the priests." It also mentioned burning of Kingdom Halls and other attacks that are extremely said, but didn't attribute them to the orthodox priests. So, of 64 attacks, 16 (or 25%) are committed by Orthodox priests, that means 75% is committed by some other agents. These other agents also commit (or attempt to commit) arsons and the sorts. Seems to me that to have all this under a headline of Orthodox Priest committing atrocities is extremely unfortunate and just as sad as the items that the article claims is happening. I am force to question whether the article is accurately reporting what is really happening.

the information is coming from our brothers in the Ukraine who are experiencing these attacks.

You wont find news articles about them elsewhere because they are not being reported and the authorities are not taking any action.

Big_TJ

the information is coming from our brothers in the Ukraine who are experiencing these attacks.

You wont find news articles about them elsewhere because they are not being reported and the authorities are not taking any action.

Noted....

But, apart from the 25% (16 cases that they reported), how would they (the spiritual brothers) know that the Orthodox Priests are instigating the others? And why haven't the brothers specifically made that claim?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Noted....

But, apart from the 25% (16 cases that they reported), how would they (the spiritual brothers) know that the Orthodox Priests are instigating the others? And why haven't the brothers specifically made that claim?

I guess seeing is believing.

Big_TJ

I guess seeing is believing.

True; but the JW.org is not stating a belief (at least it is not worded that way). They are making a claim (which you obviously think is correct) without providing adequate information for one to conclude that the claim is true.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
True; but the JW.org is not stating a belief (at least it is not worded that way). They are making a claim (which you obviously think is correct) without providing adequate information for one to conclude that the claim is true.

thats true, its my words, not the WT

My view is that the priests are promoting the attacks and thats why they have been involved in the violence.

I could be wrong. Maybe the priests were being led to the riot by their paritioners... or maybe they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught up in the pack mentality of a rampaging mob.

The only ones who really know are those involved....so you make a good point.

Big_TJ

thats true, its my words, not the WT

My view is that the priests are promoting the attacks and thats why they have been involved in the violence.

I could be wrong. Maybe the priests were being led to the riot by their paritioners... or maybe they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught up in the pack mentality of a rampaging mob.

The only ones who really know are those involved....so you make a good point.

My apologies; I did went back to the article and you are right; the article did not make the claim that it was the priests who are instigating the attacks.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
My apologies; I did went back to the article and you are right; the article did not make the claim that it was the priests who are instigating the attacks.

no apology necessary, my thread title is not quite right.