• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens to Your God After the Extinction of Humans?

Erebus

It is likely that, given 5 billion other species or about 99% on earth have gone extinct, humans will eventually go extinct.

If or when this happens, what becomes of your God?

The human concepts applied to the gods will cease to be relevant. With that, those gods who entirely embody human concepts will no longer exist if there is no other species out there with a roughly similar mindset. What would be left are the natural phenomena that inspired people to deify them.

Eventually, it's likely that they too will cease to exist in time. Assuming the universe isn't in some way cyclical and everything eventually ends, Erebus is perhaps one of the few candidates for a truly eternal god. Darkness is tricky to be rid of, even when nothing else exists.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It is likely that, given 5 billion other species or about 99% on earth have gone extinct, humans will eventually go extinct.

ETA: It would appear the wording in my post has led to confusion. To clarify, by "God concept," I mean your God as you perceive it rather than the concept itself. In other words, what happens to God once humans become extinct? I've since removed the word "concept" to eliminate confusion. Apologies for any confusion or lack of clarity in my OP.

Since God is omniscient, then He has been knowing the fate of humans from the beginning of time. So, I do not think He will get surprised by that.

What will He do? Who can say, I guess what He has been doing for the infinite past time before mammals appeared on this planet. I am confident He will not be bored.

Ciao

- viole

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Step 1 ... a test for ChristineM .............
DNA is biological information sequence < science
your post above ChristineM ....... the letters / spaces and punctuation, are they of category A or category B
A = random / mindless / no structured sequence (just where they happened to land) .. or
B = design / code / information / intent / writer-reader / speaker-listener / agenda driven / intelligence
All right, I'll take your challenge (then later I'll brave the threats of your vicious deity).

Quite clearly, @ChristineM 's is B. It is intentional information, created with the intent of communication, driven with an agenda and intelligence...all hers.

Next question, since you're obviously trying to lay a trap? I'm not afraid to take the next step...

Riders

ETA: It would appear the wording in my post has led to confusion. To clarify, by "God concept," I mean your God as you perceive it rather than the concept itself. In other words, what happens to God once humans become extinct? I've since removed the word "concept" to eliminate confusion. Apologies for any confusion or lack of clarity in my OP.

The Pagan Gods come first for and when another human species is born.They worship the sun fire whatever nature can bring them.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

My God is our genetic code's creator whom I don't even know if he/she/it/they still exist(s)....There's the possibility my God is now dead. I hope my belief in this possibility neither offends you nor anybody else.

Last edited:

dianaiad

A, i never said you were, i said you are entitled to your belief.

I know. I don't need your permission, or approval.

B, maybe you could have explained yourself better.

Sometimes the fault is in the reader, not the writer.

C, no, there is no evidence of god, there is however confirmation bias in claiming certain things/events must god because god fills a gap.
I said evidence, not belief

Ah, the old 'God of the gaps' argument.

I repeat, there IS evidence for God. It's just not evidence that you accept as such. NOBODY believes in something without evidence. There is always something that is at the basis of belief, no matter how odd/illogical/weird/impossible someone else may think that evidence is.

Do not make the error of thinking that empirical evidence is the only kind of evidence there is, just because it's the only kind you will accept.

As to the 'God of the gaps,' thing, I have no problem with saying that if we don't know how something was done, we say 'God did it.' I also have absolutely no problem (and we have been told to do this, btw) in trying to figure out HOW God did it. That's the true wonder of being human and being here; to learn about and understand the how of things. Learning that does not disprove God any more than getting the recipe for that fantastic German chocolate cake one loves proves that the baker doesn't actually exist. So...if we come to find out that live began in some primordial ooze that some lucky lightning strike turned on, we say...ah...so THAT'S how it's done! Can we do it, too?

But this thread is about what happens to our concept of God when humanity goes extinct. Well, If my concept of Him is accurate...nothing happens. He goes on to deal with all the other worlds that have His children living on them. If my concept of Him is not accurate, then it dies when I do; no need to wait for the whole of humanity to go pfffft.

shmogie

All life will go extinct, it is a consequence of entropy which predicts life for a short period (in universal terms)

Any god concept requires squishy grey matter to be a concept in. With human extinction so god concepts become extinct (assuming by that time the god concept has not previously been forgotten about)
LOL, humanity won´t become extinct.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I, personally, when I catch myself saying that 'the evidence proves this...' slap myself mentally. It may support something NOW, but it's always good to keep your eyes open and your mind working..
You are absolutely correct, but I think it is perfectly OK to say "the evidence today strongly points to ...".

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I feel like it will be very rare. Humanity exists in an extremely fragile situation where we have enormous energy expenditures for thought that are typically unnecessary for survival.
I tend to think that is not the sole reason for its evolution in us. I think there is something far deeper and more mysterious going on, than what our sciences can grasp. I tends towards seeing things not only within this particular universe we inhabit, but in an infinite interconnection of all life, in all universes, in endless dimensions. I believe intelligence is in all of it, and it's not just for survival but something grander. There are dimensions of reality we can scarcely grasp at.

Consider how long the Earth was populated by happy ocean sponges with no need for intelligence.
I would disagree it had no intelligence. All we see in us is simply a higher degree of complexity and sophistication of that innate intelligence that is in every living thing, down to that dandelion in your front yard.

More likely the universe is full of highly fit and low intelligence species.
The more sophisticated and complex organisms, are built upon much more plentiful less complex systems. What that means is the most rudimentary, is the most prolific, having the greatest span, like the base of a pyramid, compared with the lesser span at the top, but the greatest depth up there. It is natural that there will be more at the bottom, than at the top.

I really think we are alone.
I'm pretty much convinced we are just a spec in a great sea of conscious awareness throughout our cosmic home. We are not alone.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Pagan Gods come first for and when another human species is born.They worship the sun fire whatever nature can bring them.
And then, the specific God people come, "I am the Lord your God ..". "Only that God is true and I have the message from Him." It happened in Egypt, it happened in Turan, it happened in Sinai, it happened in Judea, it happened in Arabia, it happened in the US, it happened in Iran, it happened in India. It will keep on happening all the time.
I hope my belief in this possibility neither offends you nor anybody else.
Sure, it does not offend. But it seems kind of silly. :D

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
LOL, humanity won´t become extinct.
Hopefully not. But it will change as all species have done.
iu

Why does the swimming human need such a big nose (top, center)? Did he/she not develop gills?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

At some point, the world is redeemed and perfected, we are resurrected and judged, and then the world enters into eternity in communion with Him, drawing ever further into His love.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty much the same thing that will happen to us once Game of Thrones finishes it's last season.

(He'll probably watch reruns until the next thing comes along).

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
God will either alter the laws of nature in order to force another sentient race with free-will to populate the planet, or retain the laws of nature and see if another sentient race with free-will evolves or discovers the Earth while it is still viable.
Why don't we get real "bushy-tailed" about this and consider when the Sun will go 'nova', then 'super-nova', and in the process, engulf the inner three planets.
NOW, what happens to God, THEN?

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
At some point, the world is redeemed and perfected, we are resurrected and judged, and then the world enters into eternity in communion with Him, drawing ever further into His love.

Not gonna happen. Sun will go nova then super-nova, destroying the inner three planets, of which Earth is one of them. So much for the 'world' entering into eternity, with ANYONE. Nice dream, though....nice dream.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Why don't we get real "bushy-tailed" about this and consider when the Sun will go 'nova', then 'super-nova', and in the process, engulf the inner three planets.
NOW, what happens to God, THEN?
It's a good question. I don't know the answer.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Not gonna happen. Sun will go nova then super-nova, destroying the inner three planets, of which Earth is one of them. So much for the 'world' entering into eternity, with ANYONE. Nice dream, though....nice dream.
We're talking about a God Who created the entire universe and Who existed before time itself even began. Do you honestly think God would care or have any difficulty with His plans just because our sun turns into a white dwarf? He can undo that process or rearrange the universe as He sees fit when the time comes.