• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens after we die

Is there more

• yes

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • no

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I hope

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there more?

If religious Bob says there is heaven or hell after death and nonreligious Bill says there is nothing after death....
Aren't they both simply assuming what they don't know?

Maybe there's more after death, maybe not. I agree that no one really knows. I recall George Carlin's take on his church upbringing on Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Limbo - the four big places to go after death.

Colt

Is there more?

If religious Bob says there is heaven or hell after death and nonreligious Bill says there is nothing after death....
Yes! I believe survivors will awaken on the Mansion Worlds as promised by Jesus. He showed us that there is life after death.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Baha’u’llah teaches that we need to learn certain lessons in this world but if we knew what the next world was like no one would stay here so we would miss out on a crucial stage of our spiritual development.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there more?

I voted yes, which surprised me. I don't believe in chronological reincarnation. I think a lot of people are reincarnated in lives that are simultaneous. I feel that people in my life are sometimes people I have met before. They die and then I see them again in someone else. I know that it may just be that they are similar, but they seem to me to be connected. It feels like they know me and are picking up where they left off.

I also believe in resurrection through Christ. This is a different sort of resurrection than in a lot of pagan religion. You invest your life into Christ, and whatever is of value continues on in Christ while the rest of you disappears. To many people this is the same as nothing after death, but I think that is only because they don't value anything but their own individuality or that of their loved ones.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Is there more?

The first thing to understand is that that part of you who self identifies with your body as to who you are will not survive, whether you are religious or not. That is what religion is all about, to prepare you for the realization of what and who you really are in the context of absolute existence, aka God.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Is there more?

The non-religious Bob is of course assuming. The religious bob is not assuming. Even if his theology is absolutely bogus, he is still believing in his theology.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The non-religious Bob is of course assuming. The religious bob is not assuming. Even if his theology is absolutely bogus, he is still believing in his theology.
But isn't he assuming his theology is true? Seems both are assuming something to be true, regardless of whatever source they cite. Those are just justifications for their assumptions, be those trusting in one's own personal opinions, or the opinions of others. Without personal experience to back it up, those are both ultimately the same thing.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
But isn't he assuming his theology is true?

Thats exactly what I meant. His assumption in his premise is the premise itself. So about his afterlife, he is not just assuming. He has a premise, even IF his premise is false. The non-religious "bob" is assuming with no premise.

So the question ultimately lies on the worldview of theology and atheism. Which one is "true". that's the ultimate question. But not the question of this thread.

Hope you understand.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you need the carrot of a good afterlife or the stick of a bad afterlife to effect your behavior, that says something about where your values are, in my opinion, and that there are healthier ways to interact with the life you have now than treating it as an unimportant step on the road to something more your liking.
Just because a person 'cares' if there is an afterlife and 'believes' there is one, that does not mean they think that this life is an unimportant step on the road to the afterlife. I believe that this life is a very important step on the road and otherwise there would be no reason for us to be here.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just because a person 'cares' if there is an afterlife and 'believes' there is one, that does not mean they think that this life is an unimportant step on the road to the afterlife. I believe that this life is a very important step on the road and otherwise there would be no reason for us to be here.
Whether or not there is or isn't an afterlife has no impact on how I live this one. If you can't say the same, then at least to some extent this life is a means to an end, in my opinion.

Not all religious people who believe in an afterlife would treat their life now differently if afterlife was off the table, and I'm not talking about those people but those who would.

The people who wouldn't I would say seem to not care about if there's an afterlife, because it doesn't impact them in any measurable way.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I put "I hope" because there is always the possibility that humans won't exist long enough to create the second lives of the deceased. I do think however with a pretty certain possibility that will though, so I'm leering on yes too. But you never truly know. I'm surprised that almost everybody said yes despite the current of the irreligious folk here on the forums. But yeah, I believe that the post-human will resurrect the dead someday, I hope I get to retain my past memories and thoughts though, that maybe a pipe dream. The post-humans will know enough about me to make my second life useful in some way.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Has either of them had an NDE, or have had genuine mystical experiences? If not, then yes, both are just speculating. If yes, then no. They would have a direct experience to speak from, rather than just personal beliefs speculating about something they have no personal experience with.
I mostly agree with that point as far as you went.

But a doctor does not need to know what a headache is to be convinced it's real. What I mean is that someone can read what people who have had experiences report, read verified accounts of children remembering past lives and believe a spiritual teacher who affirms that understanding.

That raises the situation from mere "speculating" to researched belief.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Is there more?

There should be an option for "there is absolutely no objective evidence that we can survive our own deaths in any meaningful way"