• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens after Death?

GoodbyeDave

We need to distinguish positions for which there's evidence and positions based on philosophical speculation.

There is some evidence which supports a belief in reincarnation, although that belief in India is more based on the speculation of ancient philosophers and it's rare elsewhere.

There is a lot of evidence for disincarnate survival, such as ancestors conveying information that can be confirmed by historical records. This tends to be the default view in primal religions.

Belief in extinction at death is a product of speculation: anthropology reveals that the belief doesn't exist "in the wild".

As for my religion, it does not make pronouncements on such things. Most ancient Hellenes practiced an ancestral cult, but a few intellectuals convinced themselves of reincarnation.

Personally, I'd ask why one should expect everyone to have the same fate after this life? As Tom Paine wrote, I'm content to wait and see, trusting that whatever happens to me will be for the best.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some thing like what Christine said. However, Christine, the whole of us is not made of dead people, it is made up of minerals, flowers tree trunks, lion's tail, etc. The atoms of my body have had a long journey which continues even today and must have been part of billions of things, living and non-living.

I didnt say the whole of us but "perhaps part of you will help build"...
You are correct though, atoms are reused in many ways.

Dave Watchman

Yes I am, but I don't know how to prove it. But the fact that a body decomposes can be proven.

What about the shroud of Turin?

They put Roman guards around Jesus' tomb.

They passed out at the sight of a couple of angels.

If they could have produced a body, Christianity would be finished.

All they got is the death cloth.

Audie

Veteran Member
After death, no matter if buried, cremated or whatever other form of disposal you are recycled by the universe. The 1st law of thermodynamics sees to that.

Our atoms will be used to create something else, parhaps part of you will help build a grain of sand, a blade of grass, another human being or end up in the heart of a new sun shining life giving light onto a new planet.

In this way it is pretty much certain that we are all made of dead people?

Ever thought of how getting buried in a
sedimentary basin could lead to a nice
fossil for some far distant future?

Audie

Veteran Member
Personally I believe we are a combination of body and soul, neither can operate without the other. When our body dies, our soul remains, but without a body it cannot interact with reality, so cannot detect the passing of time etc.

So my belief goes, we die and will be resurrected on judgement day when we are given new bodies. In between nothing happens, we are like software without any hardware to run on.

So the armadillo and the sea stsr have a soul? Else, you know, they
could not operate. (What is operate?)

ChristineM

Premium Member
What about the shroud of Turin?

They put Roman guards around Jesus' tomb.

They passed out at the sight of a couple of angels.

If they could have produced a body, Christianity would be finished.

All they got is the death cloth.

Not even that.

The shroud is not JCs death cloth, its dated far later than that and burials then didnt use sheets but a bandage like coveting aka the mummy. The blood stains are wrong for a crucifixion and of course, the image is 2D as in a photo, not 3D as would be expected from draping a sheet over a body.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ever thought of how getting buried in a
sedimentary basin could lead to a nice
fossil for some far distant future?

It happens but in time (bucket fulls of time) even that fossil will break down to molecules.

I'm making a Presenation about what happens after Death in different Religions!
I'd be kind of you if you could post your view on what happens after Death and what Religion you are part of!
Thank you and have a nice Day :)
C
I'm making a Presenation about what happens after Death in different Religions!
I'd be kind of you if you could post your view on what happens after Death and what Religion you are part of!
Thank you and have a nice Day :)
Catholicism teaches that, at the moment of death, the soul departs from the body. The exact state of the soul, wether in friendship w God in a state of grace, or NOT in friendship w God, is fixed, at the moment of death. Next, the soul will face God & be judged. If the soul is worthy, it will go to Heaven. If it is found lacking in grace, but not guilty of serious sin, or still has sins that have not been repented of, the soul enters a state of purification, or a state of "Purgatory". If the soul has died separated from God, by its own FREE WILL, that soul will be damned forever; Hell

Dave Watchman

Not even that.

The shroud is not JCs death cloth, its dated far later than that and burials then didnt use sheets but a bandage like coveting aka the mummy. The blood stains are wrong for a crucifixion and of course, the image is 2D as in a photo, not 3D as would be expected from draping a sheet over a body.

Yes, i saw that in a TV show. And then a house wife figured it out and they did another TV show on it and more dating. And then with subsequent dating, they all got different results.

Google said:

"An earthquake in Jerusalem in AD 33 may have caused an atomic reaction which created the Turin Shroud and skewed radiocarbon dating results, scientists believe. The Turin Shroud may not be a medieval forgery after all, after scientists discovered it could date from the time of Christ.Feb 11, 2014

"The faint front and back imprint of a man’s body can be seen. The man’s image bears signs of crucifixion. What appears to be blood accompanies wounds on the head, side, wrists, ankles, and back. Although the image is nearly invisible to the naked eye, it exhibits an unusual property: the image itself serves as a photographic negative, and the details of the face and body become a clearly recognizable image only when viewed in negative.​

My gut knows that the shroud is true. I trust my gut more than i do the radio carbon dating methods. My gut says that it was not an atomic reaction caused by an earthquake, but the enigmatic reaction caused by Christ's transformation from death into immortal life which will forever skew the carbon dating attempts. And if this is the case, there will soon be millions of more shroud type material laying around for the scientists to practice their radio metric dating on.

Not me: Snips and snails and puppy dog tails here.

Could be.... Could very well be

Whats a snip?

AhHa, you'll believe snips and snails and puppy dog tails, but not the burial cloth.

That's cute.

I detect a bias.

maxresdefault-e1517742218934-1024x554.jpg

Audie

Veteran Member
It happens but in time (bucket fulls of time) even that fossil will break down to molecules.

C

Catholicism teaches that, at the moment of death, the soul departs from the body. The exact state of the soul, wether in friendship w God in a state of grace, or NOT in friendship w God, is fixed, at the moment of death. Next, the soul will face God & be judged. If the soul is worthy, it will go to Heaven. If it is found lacking in grace, but not guilty of serious sin, or still has sins that have not been repented of, the soul enters a state of purification, or a state of "Purgatory". If the soul has died separated from God, by its own FREE WILL, that soul will be damned forever; Hell

Except if a person is vapourized, there is no "moment of death".