• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens after Death?

Syndrox Rekt

I'm making a Presenation about what happens after Death in different Religions!
I'd be kind of you if you could post your view on what happens after Death and what Religion you are part of!
Thank you and have a nice Day :)

WalterTrull

Godfella
I'd be kind of you if you could post your view on what happens after Death and what Religion you are part of!
I doubt the necessity of religion after death, but I suppose that's not what you want.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'm buddhist and I personally believe we will not live after death. No such thing. I'm still learning about rebirth were we continue in this life (no "life after") until we are no longer attached to this life or our sense of a fixed self. No soul. Just a river of cause and effect until calmness.

When everything ceases there is nothing left to be attached to. We die.

I'm not one to be fixed on needing to believe in an afterlife if there is such thing. Nothing supernatural just a continuation.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I consider the world we perceive to be a temporal illusory reality, referred to in Hinduism as Maya. As my body and mind 'die' in this reality, my consciousness, that which is aware, known as Atman in Hinduism, will remain, as it is the same as the Absolute, referred to in Hinduism as Brahman. In other words -I- do not die.

While I don't identify as Hindu, my worldview can be compared to a school of Hindu philosophy referred to as Advaita Vedanta.

Altfish

Veteran Member
As a Humanist, I believe that the worms eat your rotting flesh!

Well something like that - there is certainly no afterlife

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
04 nov 2018 stvdv Sanathana Dharma

Welcome to the RF forum and wish you the best with your presentation

Below is my personal view. Others following Sanathana Dharma may totally disagree with me. That's fine. It's all a creation anyway. I see this is in the debate section. Lots of stuff to disagree and debate on of course, but I won't participate if others start debating my views

I spend time in India with a Master who was teaching in the line of "Sanathana Dharma" in english translated something like "the eternal religion".

Once I stopped eating and drinking and after quite some time I did go through this so called tunnel of light and I met with My Master. Obviously;) I did not go through after that. So from this experience I can only speak. This so called tunnel of light is "real", amazing and wonderful. Then you meet with your Master; being Catholic I guess it will be Jesus; real too. I do like to find out what happens after that, but in the moment I have other things I decided to do first;).

From Sanathana Dharma I learned that "Consciousness", the Indian definition, so not what people in the West think "awareness of stuff around you". The Indian meaning goes much deeper, to the root of existence, from which everything originates (western "awareness" is created in "Consciousness").

So "Consciousness" is the substratum on which this illusion (called maya in Sanathana Dharma) is superimposed, like a movie is superimposed on the screen when you go to the cinema. We are aware that the movie is just an illusion, though some people sometimes get so involved in the movie and thereby forget it's just a movie on the screen; watching a horror movie some even start screaming.

The movie above is called illusion (maya). And in Sanathana Dharma they also call the world and our body, emotions, mind etc. illusion. So atheists are partly right.

This "Consciousness" is amazing. Anything can be created.So when you believe in Jesus you will meet with Jesus when dying. But even better. If you pray to Jesus while alive He might appear even now. Of course this is all illusion, the same illusion as when you meet with your girlfriend. All is created in the mind, and from there it can take material forms. Depends how hard you work on your creation.

So coming to your question "what happens after death"
I am not this body, nor this mind, nor my emotions. Who am I? Or like Shakespeare said "To Be or Not To Be". I believe only "Consciousness" is real. So there is no dying when seen from this view. When you believe you are the body, there is a lot of dying when you die. A lot of things to let go, a lot of change I believe.

I never remembered my previous lives (I did have visions about other lives, but that's about it; anyway our past life is also just a superimposition on "Consciousness" just as this life is). So I can not so much be bothered with a past nor a future life. What happens after death? Most important to me is to live my life NOW as good as I can. That makes me happy and others also. That's a good goal for me. I do not have much attachment nor interest in this world (the superimposition part of it), so I prefer to communicate with "my God". The one I believe in, so the one that is real to me (even more real than the bodies I see around me; because it keeps me more "awake" realizing "Consciousness" is the reality). So from all the illusions in this world I find "God" the most interesting illusion. Especially when I experience more and more the wonders that come along with this "God" creation of mine.

I have been reading a scripture called Yoga Vasistha. Reading this, I understand now that literally everything is possible. You can become a God yourself. Meaning you can create whatever you want. I am not advanced at all. But I do like the idea. At least for now, I derive happiness from all this. Learn a lot about myself.

So if it is all true, that you can create anything in this life I also believe that it is possible to create something for the moment when you "die".

Example: Great inventors yesterday created an interesting future today. 100 years ago people were living in huts under the ground where I live. Unbelievable. I am easily feeling cold, so I feel happy to be born not 100 years ago. I have a very small and simple house, but at least I am happy not to sleep under the ground. But now I know that if this were to happen "Consciousness" would create me feeling warm in the cold or this body might just die, which will happen anyway.

The same with whiners, they stay unhappy. Think creative and become your creation. I don't say it's possible to create a cut of leg, although I met an Italian yogi who broke 13 bones while being in a car accident, and while in the ambulance my Master appears to him telling him "you do yoga, no operation needed". All bones were healed within 4 days (ribs) to a couple of weeks (bigger bones like hip). When I met him 1 leg was still 3 inch shorter and he told me that my Master told him that in 2 years also this will be healed. Seeing him 2 years later this happened. So lots of creation is possible, but of course not all will be able to achieve this nor is this needed. That is what is called "Swadharma" in "Sanathana Dharma". Each person has his personal Dharma (path to live).

In the same line it must work with belief in God I believe. All is energy, so we create something and it will become real on a subtle level. There is so much more than only the worldly level. So magic might happen when you die. You can create this yourself now in this life. I trusted my Master for the last 30 years and the moment I was close to dying I met with Him and I felt great. For me dying will be great. So I will continue my spiritual quest.

But in the end only "Consciousness" exists and is real. An amazing concept IMO, and I experience this more every day. The sky is the limit. Not to die but to live. When you realize you are this "Consciousness" you will live forever. So there is no death even. So in a way "Nothing happens after this so called `death`", or you can also say "The same that happens now, happens after this so called `death`".

Wish you well with your presentation. This is my view originating from Sanathana Dharma (the "Ethernal Religion")

Last edited:

Dave Watchman

I would call myself a Christian, but not one from the corporate religious groups. At this point in time, i think that all of the major religious groups can find a home with one of the seven heads of the composite beast from revelation 13.

I think it's a complicated question and depends on who you are and when you die. The best group would be God's people that are alive right at the time when Christ returns. They get translated without ever tasting death. In the twinkling of an eye. Sweet.

And it also depends on the point of view of the observer. It will look different from the vantage point of the person that dies, compared to one of the angels that are watching.

God breathed into the man's nostrils the breath of life and he became a living soul, a living nephesh, which is a living creature. There is a spirit in the man, but this spirit is of God, man is a living creature, not a spirit. When the man dies the body reruns back to the dust of the earth where it came from. The spirit returns to God where it came from. This spirit contains every second of our lives. Everything that we're came into contact with, all of our life experiences, every word that we've spoken, every thought and dream and intention of the heart. This is how Christ judges the dead. Our lives can be replayed before the 24 elders and the angelic host. They will see that Christ's decisions are righteous.

At the second coming, the righteous spirits return to their bodies and the dead in Christ arise and meet the Lord in the air. They never found Christ's body either, just the shroud of Turin. Then we all go back to New Jerusalem for 1000 years to do the Pauline phase of the judgement process. The judgement of the wicked. Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?

But from the point of view of someone who has already died, thousands of years can go by in a flash as they sleep, safe in the dust of the earth. From their vantage point it will look like they were dying one second, and in the next instant they are shooting like a rocket of light up into the sky and floating in the stratosphere where the angels are sent to gather us during the end time tribulation.

This whole story will be different for the wicked dead, they will not come to life again until the thousand years are finished.

Let God be true,
And i am a liar.

Peaceful Sabbath.

And check out the Apocalypse of Thomas.

Then shall the spirits and souls of all men come forth from paradise and shall come upon all the earth: and every one of them shall go unto his own body, where it is laid up, and every one of them shall say: Here lieth my body. And when the great voice of those spirits shall be heard, then shall there be a great earthquake over all the world, and by the might thereof the mountains shall be cloven from above and the rocks from beneath. Then shall every spirit return into his own vessel and the bodies of the saints which have fallen asleep shall arise.

Then shall their bodies be changed into the image and likeness and the honour of the holy angels, and into the power of the image of mine holy Father. Then shall they be clothed with the vesture of life eternal, out of the cloud of light which hath never been seen in this world; for that cloud cometh down out of the highest realm of the heaven from the power of my Father. And that cloud shall compass about with the beauty thereof all the spirits that have believed in me.

Then shall they be clothed, and shall be borne by the hand of the holy angels like as I have told you aforetime. Then also shall they be lifted up into the air upon a cloud of light, and shall go with me rejoicing unto heaven, and then shall they continue in the light and honour of my Father. Then shall there be unto them great gladness with my Father and before the holy angels These are the signs of the sixth day.

The Apocalypse of Thomas

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
After death, no matter if buried, cremated or whatever other form of disposal you are recycled by the universe. The 1st law of thermodynamics sees to that.

Our atoms will be used to create something else, parhaps part of you will help build a grain of sand, a blade of grass, another human being or end up in the heart of a new sun shining life giving light onto a new planet.

In this way it is pretty much certain that we are all made of dead people?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Life keeps going for everyone else. It's not all about me.

(No religion)

Dave Watchman

After death, no matter if buried, cremated or whatever other form of disposal you are recycled by the universe. The 1st law of thermodynamics sees to that.

Our atoms will be used to create something else, parhaps part of you will help build a grain of sand, a blade of grass, another human being or end up in the heart of a new sun shining life giving light onto a new planet.

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

We are caught up in the devil's bargain,

OrtaYol

Personally I believe we are a combination of body and soul, neither can operate without the other. When our body dies, our soul remains, but without a body it cannot interact with reality, so cannot detect the passing of time etc.

So my belief goes, we die and will be resurrected on judgement day when we are given new bodies. In between nothing happens, we are like software without any hardware to run on.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To tell you honestly, I believe a lot of our afterlife beliefs are far fetched. We will die. Thats it. Poof. Think when you havent a dream. When you are put out for surgery. People can just knock you dead. Others die without even having anything wrong. Dead animals in the street. Children dying. Its all a way to understand death. When we focus on life because we will die we will stop asking the question and just let live.

I think people put too much burden on themselves when they hope for the afterlife.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We are billion year old carbon,

We are caught up in the devil's bargain,

One of my fathers favourite songs, i grew up to that and this:-

Footnote, we are 13.8 billion year old hydrogen... But it doesnt rhyme.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Welcome to RF.

I'm not a member of any organized religion but I accept Meher Baba's (and many Eastern) views that we go to the astral plane and review our lives experiencing the states called "heaven" and "hell" until we've absorbed the lesson of that life. Then we are reborn.

This happens for quite some time until we've experienced everything we need to experience and then we enter the spiritual path.

This is all tied together in this chart:

creation.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindus believe that after death, the soul goes to the office of the God of Death - Yama. The account of the person's deeds are presented and Yama (as per the rules), awards punishment (for evil deeds in hell) and rewards (holiday in heaven for good deeds). The two things cannot be combined. That means even if one is given a 100 years in heaven and one year in hell, one would have to suffer for that period, it cannot be 99 years in heaven. Evil deeds will never go unpunished. Deeds can affect in other ways also, i.e., to be born in a rich family or poor family; and face good or bad situations in the next life. That is the general theist belief.

But I follow the non-dual Hinduism (Advaita), therefore, there is no birth or death for me. I am older than 13.75 billion years (Star dust). What constitutes me must have existed in some form or other even before the Big Bang.
Our atoms will be used to create something else, perhaps part of you will help build a grain of sand, a blade of grass, another human being or end up in the heart of a new sun shining life giving light onto a new planet.
Some thing like what Christine said. However, Christine, the whole of us is not made of dead people, it is made up of minerals, flowers tree trunks, lion's tail, etc. The atoms of my body have had a long journey which continues even today and must have been part of billions of things, living and non-living.