• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to the non-Muslims in Arabia?

I am asking what happened to the non-Muslims during Muhammad's time because there used to be a range of religions in Arabia; if the non Muslims were forced to convert then how can Muhammad be someone I believe in like Guru Nanak, Buddha and Jesus?

The Arabs didn't write a great deal down. Other than the Quran, it is the best part of 2 centuries before we get many Arabic texts appearing. As a result not a great deal is known as much of the "history" that appeared in the 8th/9th C is more like theology and should be no more taken at face value than the historicity of events described in the Bible.

We do know that many Christians and Jews were involved in the "Muslim" conquests though, as this is noted in non-Muslim sources.

In addition, the people who were conquered in the decades after Muhammad's death didn't really know that their conquerors had a new religion, so the idea that there were mass forced conversions is obviously false. It's also debatable whether they even had a new religion at this point. Muhammad was definitely seen as a prophet, and certainly had some specific teachings, but it's a bit the the question of when Christianity gained a reified identity outside of Judaism which is open to much dispute.

In general the Arabs just asked for tribute from conquered people and left them to run their own affairs. There likely wouldn't have been much tangible difference for most people, their gold was just going to Arabs instead of Romans of Persians.

It is also possible that non-Arabs were given greater religious leeway than Arabs though.

Probably murder.....

Has happened a few times to maids who get beaten and raped then executed when they fight back. SE Asian countries like Indonesia and the Philippines have banned their citizens form working there at times due to rampant physical and sexual abuse.

Could also be sorcery, folk get beheaded for that too.

2ndpillar

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Can we shed some light on the differences between Wahhabi and Salafi Islam? They're used interchangably but our allies are Saudi Arabia and they're Wahhabi while our enemy ISIS is Salafi. Also Al Qaeda is Qutb even though the only difference between ISIS and Al Qaeda is whom should be leader. Taliban are Deobandi.

Prince Muhammad bin Salman says he wants to open Saudi Arabia up to all faiths

I disagree that SA are "allies".
I think first and foremost, they are customers and a provider of oil.

Ideologically, they could barely be further from the secular democratic west if they tried.
If it wasn't for mutual financial interests, we most definatly wouldn't be allies.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There is NO stoning in Arabia,

Are you on the payroll of saudi's to spread misinformation or something?
Or are you seriously this oblivious of what goes on in that country?

I googled for 10 seconds and found dozens of clips showing public beheadings, amputations etc.
And yes, all in SA. And yes, sentences from official courts carried out by SA officials.

sooda

Veteran Member
Are you on the payroll of saudi's to spread misinformation or something?
Or are you seriously this oblivious of what goes on in that country?

I googled for 10 seconds and found dozens of clips showing public beheadings, amputations etc.
And yes, all in SA. And yes, sentences from official courts carried out by SA officials.

There are NO stonings in Arabia.. Its not a penalty. Beheadings and amputations are the punishment for certain convictions, but not stoning. Stoning is in other countries generally in rural areas without any law .

You obviously think that knowledge means one is on government payroll. Tells me a lot about you.

The Saudis and the Gulf States are VERY pro-American as their long history proves.

Its ignorant to think the GCC countries are like war torn Iraq or Syria or Libya or Afghanistan.

Education is MORE than surfing the internet.

BTW, SA stands for South Africa. Saudi Arabia is designated KSA.

sooda

Veteran Member
Wahhabism is a subset of Salafism.

NO.. They mean exactly the same thing. .. rightly guided. The reason for the revival is because Al Wahab wanted to get rid of the innovations to Islam introduced by the Ottomans over a period of 400 years .. and, because they wanted the Ottomans off the Arabian peninsula. Much of the Arab world suffered stagnation in their economies and in literacy during the Ottoman empire. That's why the Saudis and the GCC countries don't want another Caliphate.

NO.. They mean exactly the same thing. .. rightly guided. The reason for the revival is because Al Wahab wanted to get rid of the innovations to Islam introduced by the Ottomans over a period of 400 years .. and, because they wanted the Ottomans off the Arabian peninsula. Much of the Arab world suffered stagnation in their economies and in literacy during the Ottoman empire. That's why the Saudis and the GCC countries don't want another Caliphate.

That's what a Wahhabi might say, others will disagree.

sooda

Veteran Member
That's what a Wahhabi might say, others will disagree.

Do you actually know any Wahhabis? I lived around them for many years. Was your opinion of them formed on the internet?

Qutbism is not rooted in the Islaamic tradition, but rather, is very much a Western based ideology.

The 'Wahhabi Myth': Dispelling Prevalent Fallacies and the Fictitious link with Bin Laden by Haneef James Oliver. The 'Wahhabi' Myth by Haneef James Oliver clarifies many of the gross inaccuracies and outright lies that have been attributed to the belief of the Salafi Muslims (often referred to as "Wahhabis").

The 'Wahhabi Myth': Dispelling Prevalent Fallacies and the ..

The 'Wahhabi Myth': Dispelling Prevalent Fallacies and the Fictitious link with Bin Laden

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There are NO stonings in Arabia.. Its not a penalty. Beheadings and amputations are the punishment for certain convictions, but not stoning. Stoning is in other countries generally in rural areas without any law .

Ow, right. i'm sorry. You are correct.

I guess I was wrong and those saudi authorities are a-okay!

:rolleyes:

The Saudis and the Gulf States are VERY pro-American as their long history proves.

You're confusing "pro-US-dollars" with "pro-US-A".

BTW, SA stands for South Africa. Saudi Arabia is designated KSA.

I'm sorry. It's not my intention to disrespect your beloved kingdom.
The public beheadings and amputions speak for themselves off course.

sooda

Veteran Member
Ow, right. i'm sorry. You are correct.

I guess I was wrong and those saudi authorities are a-okay!

:rolleyes:

You're confusing "pro-US-dollars" with "pro-US-A".

I'm sorry. It's not my intention to disrespect your beloved kingdom.
The public beheadings and amputions speak for themselves off course.

No question that their ways are different from ours.. They have capital punishment; they just don't have electric chairs and gas chambers.

KSA has never been on the dole.. Are you referring to money they earn from the sale of petroleum?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No question that their ways are different from ours..

If that's what you wish to call it.

They have capital punishment; they just don't have electric chairs and gas chambers.

Right, right...
Heavily regulated injection in controlled atmosphere versus beheading in the middle of an intersection - same thing, right?

(ps: I'm from western europe. we have neither over here).

KSA has never been on the dole.. Are you referring to money they earn from the sale of petroleum?

You mean like, their main if not only source of income?
Yes. And the love is mutual when the saudi's give those black gold dollars back in exchange for state of the art weaponry.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I have never known an American who wanted to go to Mecca or Medina.. and there are 40,000 currently living in the kingdom.

I will trust what you've experienced, but that strikes me as very odd. I would want to go see these sites.