• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Gripes did Jesus have with the Pharisees?

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
We read a lot in the NT about Jesus complaining about the Pharisees and the Scribes. He never gets specific however. Anyone have any ideas about just what it was that Jesus had against the Pharisees? What about the possible altering of the scriptures, Temple Sacrifices, or demands that He adhere to biblical prophecy?

A

angellous_evangellous

Jesus was upset that the synagogue in Ephesus was only open to Nazarites who played soccer with the Pharisees on Tuesday afternoons.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
We read a lot in the NT about Jesus complaining about the Pharisees and the Scribes. He never gets specific however. Anyone have any ideas about just what it was that Jesus had against the Pharisees? What about the possible altering of the scriptures, Temple Sacrifices, or demands that He adhere to biblical prophecy?

Well, reading Luke, it seems that Jesus has nothing against Pharisees, scribes, publicans, etc, in general, but has everything against hypocrites, who claim to know the law, and don't actually keep it, and Pharisees etc are prime examples. Not to mention they constantly call on him, asking why he heals on the Sabbath, and whatnot. They didn't like him, so he didn't like them. Or rather, since he "loved" everyone, he didn't like how the Pharisees acted. Though in Luke, Jesus seems to be portrayed as a rather passionate and sometimes angry person, especially to the hypocrisy that he was seeing, so I don't blame him for having it out for those in power who misused it.

Heneni

Miss Independent
They proclaimed to know the way to life, they made people think that their way is the way to discovering true life. They had the 'keys' to kingdom, but wouldnt let anybody else enter. They were stumbling blocks to those who desired freedom. What they proved to be to the people, were death. Which is why Jesus compared them to whitewashed tombs. Nice on the outside, but full of dead mans bones on the inside. Their theories and theology was based on the living words of god, which should prove to bring life to people, accept when they used it, they brought death.

His gripe with them was that they were not the 'life' they proclaimed to be.

Ever been in the presence of someone for ten minutes and you felt like you need a holiday? These people suck the life out of you. They are hypocrites.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Jesus didn't dislike all pharisees, just the ones who were hypocrites.

Jesus didn't like the self-righteous types who thought they were better than others. Some of them seemed to worry too much about The Law, but not about the God who gave it. They said things like "Thank you Lord, that I am not like this tax collector (or whatever)" and other rather self righteous statements. He also didn't like the idea that they thought they were big in the kingdom of heaven and others would not be there because they said so. (I hate to say it, but there are some Christians nowadays who act the same way).

But as for Jesus not liking all the Pharisees, that isn't true. Nicodemus comes to mind. :)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
What Gripes did Jesus have with the Pharisees?

They wouldn't let him join there little group. ^_^

Heneni

Miss Independent
Or maybe the ones with the real gripe were the hypocrites not Jesus. He didnt plot their death, they plotted his.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
(I hate to say it, but there are some Christians nowadays who act the same way).

I guess people, even after two thousand years, still don't get it. Maybe that's why the apocalypse hasn't come yet, like it was supposed to! :D

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
OK, OK

You guys are having fun with this one. You are making my point however. Aside from the obvious statements about hypocrisy, there appears to be deeper issues here that aren't exactly laid out in the gospels. So am I being too serious on this subject??? I'll bet Jesus was a kick *** soccer player so the Pharisees were afraid of Him.

Craig

Heneni

Miss Independent
I regret to inform you that if I show you id have to kill you. Unlike Jesus, im not sure you'll get over it in three days.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Jay,

The pharisees had the law...you know what a law is right..rubbish. Anyway, they used it to control the people. Complete rubbish. They set themselves up as the authority figure on the mattters of god and basically told everybody else they talked baseless rubbish including Jesus.:slap:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jay,

The pharisees had the law...you know what a law is right..rubbish. Anyway, they used it to control the people. Complete rubbish. They set themselves up as the authority figure on the mattters of god and basically told everybody else they talked baseless rubbish including Jesus.:slap:
You're babbling. Please demonstrate where the Pharisees
"proclaimed to know the way to life, they made people think that their way is the way to discovering true life."​
By the way, Heneni, have you ever read anything about the Pharisees beyond NT pericopes?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Jay, do your own homework. This girl is smart enough to know it doesnt make one bit of difference to you anywhich way.

I think the fact that you say my posts are rubbish and I babble, is not enough encouragement to give you more to trash.