• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What goes in a Holy Book?

deshokia

Hi there. I am writing a novel, with a fictional world. In this place, religion is important on a huge scale, and the Holy Book is important in the plot, so I thought, why not write a Holy Book. So, I ask you here at RF, what would need to go in a Holy Book?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi there. I am writing a novel, with a fictional world. In this place, religion is important on a huge scale, and the Holy Book is important in the plot, so I thought, why not write a Holy Book. So, I ask you here at RF, what would need to go in a Holy Book?

I suppose just about anything could be transformed into a "holy book." I remember an episode of Star Trek where an Earth ship had left a book about Chicago gangs in the 1920s on another planet, which somehow turned into their "holy book" and patterned their entire society according to "The Book."

As for what a Holy Book might entail, I would imagine some sort of creation myth would probably have to be in there somewhere.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Guidance for mankind from a being that transcends time and space.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Going by the holy books we have, you'll need plenty of stories that are fantastical, bizarre or ridiculous, and that contradict each other, how else are you going to end up with the faithful arguing over it and having holy wars? Large swathes of a decent holy book should be boring, rambling, and repetitive also, don't forget the boring and rambling bits. Or being repetitive, oh wait, I've already said that.
Finally, you need to demonise sectors of the population, who are "different", how else are you going to cultivate bigotry, homophobia, and misogyny? Whatever you do, don't go giving women equal status, give them an inch and they'll steal a mile, those damn women. Include a bit that tells the faithful they have to wear a hat as well, most religious people seem to like wearing hats, not sure why.
Hope that helps!

The Holy Bottom Burp

While I'm about it include some stuff that is incoherent as well, you know like the Trinity. Incoherent stuff is usually popular, it all adds to the "mystery" of the deity. Enough already, I think I've briefed you on all the requirements of a good holy book now.;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Unless what is written is essential to the story stay away from more than a smattering of details. Such digressions slow the pace and invariably bore the reader. Keep the story moving. If an element doesn't do this forget about it. You're writing to please the reader not yourself.

Last edited: