• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gives you the idea that a deity is real?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Treat me like a child. Explain it. :)
Evidence is not proof. In fact proof as most creationists abuse the term is a mathematical concept that has little to do with reality. Evidence supports concepts. And sometimes concepts that are supported by evidence are later shown to be wrong. As a result scientists have learned to be cautious. Especially when it comes to new ideas. They do not want to jump the gun and declare something to be a fact until the concept has been tested and confirmed multiple times by multiple people. That is a good thing.

Meanwhile compare them to creationists. There is no reliable evidence for creationism and yet creationists dogmatically stick to their myths. Even though they have been shown to be wrong time and time again. That is not a good thing.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Evidence is not proof. In fact proof as most creationists abuse the term is a mathematical concept that has little to do with reality. Evidence supports concepts. And sometimes concepts that are supported by evidence are later shown to be wrong. As a result scientists have learned to be cautious. Especially when it comes to new ideas. They do not want to jump the gun and declare something to be a fact until the concept has been tested and confirmed multiple times by multiple people. That is a good thing.

Meanwhile compare them to creationists. There is no reliable evidence for creationism and yet creationists dogmatically stick to their myths. Even though they have been shown to be wrong time and time again. That is not a good thing.
Thank you. :)
So for example say there is evidence that some creature dunged on my porch. However, I should proceed with caution, because it may not be dung.
Do you mean like that?
In other words, I don't know.

Can you give an example of what the evidence is, that would show it is dung?
Because if the evidence I have before me says it is dung, I have no reason to say likely it is.
The fact that I use the expression, "likely it is", means that likely it is not. Which means, I can't determine if it is, or not.

What would cause me to say it is?
If I am familiar with what it is. Otherwise, it could be anything.

If I am familiar with it, I am less forced to resort to probabilities.
For example, if I find a fully furnished house on Mount Everest, I don't have to say, it likely was built by someone.
This is the difference between knowing based on what is familiar to us, and having an idea, and saying that it likely is true.

When one knows the truth, they are not influenced by what really is nothing more than wishful thinking - the idea that something could have taken place, because we hope for it, or believe it.

Why deny miracles, if that is the case?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you. :)
So for example say there is evidence that some creature dunged on my porch. However, I should proceed with caution, because it may not be dung.
Do you mean like that?
In other words, I don't know.

Can you give an example of what the evidence is, that would show it is dung?
Because if the evidence I have before me says it is dung, I have no reason to say likely it is.
The fact that I use the expression, "likely it is", means that likely it is not. Which means, I can't determine if it is, or not.

What would cause me to say it is?
If I am familiar with what it is. Otherwise, it could be anything.

If I am familiar with it, I am less forced to resort to probabilities.
For example, if I find a fully furnished house on Mount Everest, I don't have to say, it likely was built by someone.
This is the difference between knowing based on what is familiar to us, and having an idea, and saying that it likely is true.

When one knows the truth, they are not influenced by what really is nothing more than wishful thinking - the idea that something could have taken place, because we hope for it, or believe it.

Why deny miracles, if that is the case?
Let/s change it a bit. Some creature took a dump on your porch. That you can be very sure of. You have a suspicion that it was your neighbor's dog. It is best not to fly off the handle and accuse him without more evidence and confirmation.

Now as to evolution, the evidence would be akin having video of the dog doing its business from several different angles with just a few frames missing here and there. And you also have audio of your neighbor cheering his dog on. What you are not sure about is exactly how much time it took. You can narrow the time down to a a three to five minute window but no better.

Milton Platt

The "third eye" - pineal gland - main organ.

The pineal gland is a part of the endocrine system. We have identified 10 functions of the gland. None of them have to do with a god.
Please support your assertion that it is a “god detector” with sound scientific grounding.

Looking forward to examining the methodology you use to demonstrate your assertion.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Okay, I am game.....what is the name of the organ that can detect a god, and where in the body is it located?
I’m not sure I have it quite right, but here’s what I’m seeing @leov saying. There is energy coming from some deity or deities, that some human organs are designed to sense, like our eyes sense light and our ears sense sound. His direct experience with that is that sometimes he suddenly gets ideas that he knows are true. That’s how he knows that some of his organs are receiving energy from a deity. I don’t know why he’s saying that some people’s organs are dead. I don’t know what makes him think that there are people who never have ideas come into their head that they know are true.

leov

The pineal gland is a part of the endocrine system. We have identified 10 functions of the gland. None of them have to do with a god.
Please support your assertion that it is a “god detector” with sound scientific grounding.

Looking forward to examining the methodology you use to demonstrate your assertion.
unfortunately science knows very little about human brain, work in progress, so to say, should I rely on Descartes?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
unfortunately science knows very little about human brain, work in progress, so to say, should I rely on Descartes?
In earlier posts you said that some people’s organs for sensing energy from a deity are dead. What are your reasons for thinking that some people never have ideas come into their head that they know are true?

Also, what is your reasoning, from that experience of suddenly having ideas to that you know are true, to saying that some particular organs are sensing energies from a deity? Is that one of those ideas that suddenly came into your head, that you know are true? Also, how do you know the difference between an idea that comes into your head that’s true, and one that isn’t?

leov

I’m not sure I have it quite right, but here’s what I’m seeing @leov saying. There is energy coming from some deity or deities, that some human organs are designed to sense, like our eyes sense light and our ears sense sound. His direct experience with that is that sometimes he suddenly gets ideas that he knows are true. That’s how he knows that some of his organs are receiving energy from a deity. I don’t know why he’s saying that some people’s organs are dead. I don’t know what makes him think that there are people who never have ideas come into their head that they know are true.
Dead mean non functioning as designed.