• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What favorite breakfast food?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Most mornings I will break my fast with a banana-apple-cucumber-spinach-lime-brazil nut smoothie.
With a pinch of salt and some B12 added.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Breakfast is important to me -- and I will eat whatever is available. Love good oatmeal, eggs (soft boiled, poached, whatever), toast with thick-cut marmalade. Left-over pizza, when necessary.

But whatever else is on the menu -- I was in a restaurant in Helena, Arkansas once (took a motor home from Toronto to New Orleans and back), and they listed catfish and grits for b'fast. Loved it!

MatthewA

Fried eggs over easy with my made from scratch hash browns. Better than you can get in almost any restaurant (I blame the one restaurant that do make their own from scratch for my addiction). If you have some very good quality salsa your are all set.

And as a further note:

Real Greek yogurt is always more expensive than regular yogurt because they take yogurt and then hang it in cheese cloth so that the whey flows out. The remaining yogurt is concentrated. If you read the ingredients label and it has gums, food starch, or other thickeners it is not a true Greek yogurt.

SZ: You are making me so hungry! Do you have a certain recipe for the homemade hash brown you could lend to use?

Did not know that Yogurt was hung in a cheese cloth, that is very interesting have you perhaps been in and through a yogurt factory?

Sometimes I like yogurt and fruit (typically berries). Sometimes I like pancakes (with maple syrup) and sausage. I also like the chocolate Special K cereal. Sometimes eggs and toast (used to do butter, but now peanut butter after discovering the peanut butter thingy machine at Winco). Sausage gravy and with Southern style biscuits is another favorite.
But my utmost favorite is bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns, a cup of yogurt, a sweet pastry (usually a croissant with cherries and cherry filling), and a big glass of orange juice. I don't eat that often though, lol. Usually special occasions or having a long day ahead of me.
I'm also fond of just a filling and somewhat large breakfast in general because then I eat less throughout the day.

Thank you for sharing Shadow Wolf. Would agree if a person eats a large breakfast; you will eat less throughout the day; great advice.

Amelanchier alnifolia - Wikipedia Colloquially, saskatoon. We have a tree in our backyard. They're easy to freeze, and bag. On the right year I can get free buckets of them from the back roads of my childhood. Check out the nutritional value.

Yes, enhanced is just what I add. I also add home-dried apples or pears. I'm a cheapskate so when free food comes my way, I engage it.

Vina, Thank you for information; handy having a Saskatoon tree in the backyard.

Sausages, scrambled eggs, bread, and/or pancakes.

Coming to your house this morning if that is okay: Darkskies, :p reading all of these foods is making me hungry haha.

I do not have a certain food i eat at breakfast, but i do most often have a cup of coffee.

CT; thank you for your mentions, I use coffee every now and then.

I don't usually eat breakfast but if you're asking my favorite ... I can't decide between waffles, pancakes or a good breakfast burrito.

74x12; Breakfast burrios; nice warm soft shell, wrapped with sausage, bacon, cheese, onions maybe, or green peppers?

Bacon, sausage, ham, cheese and eggs with toast and orange juice. Just had it.

Almost forgot. A giant mug of coffee, black only.

Thank you for commenting; No sugar, no creamer, only black. Same here; tend to drink coffee like black metal makes insane shreds.

Bread and boiled egg with tea.

Glad to know most are eating now thinking about this haha, thank you for the comment sayak83.

You do! It is a hot breakfast dish basically made from milk and rolled oats. Beyond that it can be tweaked as you like. I use plant milk, add some flax seeds and sweeten with golden syrup. (Originally Scottish I think)

It is a fruit preserve made from citrus fruits, traditionally bitter Seville oranges. Are you American? - jelly is called jam in the UK - marmalade is like jam/jelly but less sweet.

Like granola but less sweet/sugar. It is a cold oatmeal breakfast dish and includes ingredients such as grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruits. Milk or yoghurt is added to it, and usually fresh fruit. (Originally Swiss I think)

Greek style (ie thick set), plain soya.

Thank you for the information SC.

MatthewA

Pongal and upma are south Indian breakfast dishes. Pongal is made from seasoned lentils and rice. Upma is thick porridge made from seasoned dry roasted semolina.

Thank you for informing me on this SI.

Biscuits and gravy or a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

:) Biscuits and gravy is very good ; what type of gravy white or brown do you like the best? Personally white for BaG; but brown gravy for mashed potato.

@MatthewA

All gyeran bap is is eggs over white rice with soy sauce, sesame oil, spring onions, sesame seeds, and seasoning to taste (I throw some MSG on for extra flavor, too).

Nothing fancy at all! Eggs over rice is nice when you break the yoke and it mixes with the rice - kind of like dipping your toast into the yoke of a sunny side up egg. The kimchi is great on the side cause it just brightens everything up. :D

Sounds like you are a Chief. SR.

No don't know how to.

Understandable, thank you for commenting ROL.

Most mornings I will break my fast with a banana-apple-cucumber-spinach-lime-brazil nut smoothie.
With a pinch of salt and some B12 added.

Marcion straight speeding from all the goody goodness. :)

Breakfast is important to me -- and I will eat whatever is available. Love good oatmeal, eggs (soft boiled, poached, whatever), toast with thick-cut marmalade. Left-over pizza, when necessary.

But whatever else is on the menu -- I was in a restaurant in Helena, Arkansas once (took a motor home from Toronto to New Orleans and back), and they listed catfish and grits for b'fast. Loved it!

Haha, would agree Left-over pizza when necessary. Catfish and grits sounds very country, thank you for sharing EH.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
SZ: You are making me so hungry! Do you have a certain recipe for the homemade hash brown you could lend to use?

Did not know that Yogurt was hung in a cheese cloth, that is very interesting have you perhaps been in and through a yogurt factory?

My hashbrowns recipe. Some judgement is necessary:

Ingredients:

Raw potatoes, butter, salt, pepper.

If I use red or Yukon Gold potatoes I clean the heck out of them and remove any defects first. If I use russets I peel them and again remove any remaining defects first. The amount depends on how hungry you are.

Shred the potatoes. Put them in a bowl of cold water. Now rinse them two or three times to remove excessive starch. (Years ago when I first tried just grating potatoes and did not do this and ended up with a gloopy mess). Now you need to get rid of the excessive water. You can put it in a colander and press the potatoes by hand or several other methods. I have a potato ricer (whenever I make my mothers fried chicken I always have riced potatoes with the gravy that I make . Mine looks like this:

71ymzXp3hFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I put my shredded potatoes in it and use it to press the water out.

Okay, now you have rinsed shredded potatoes. I heat up a good sized cast iron pan over medium low heat. It takes a while on my stove top, modern but not induction or gas. The latter two would probably be more rapid. Melt the butter, you don't want the potatoes swimming but you do not want a dry skillet either. About a tablespoon is a good place to start. If you want add a splash of olive oil to keep the butter from burning. However you drained the potatoes you now need to pick them up and place them in the pan. I do not just dump them. I take them in my hand and sprinkle them a bit so they are evenly distributed. Salt and pepper on top. I like to add a whisper of cayenne. I cook about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to push the potatoes carefully towards the center so that you have a solid patty. Flip and cook for another five minutes. You may need to add a little more oil or butter when you flip.

It may take a couple of times, mine turned out perfect the first time and most times since. Dang, now I am getting hungry.

I never have been to a yogurt factory but I read. I used to also make my own yogurt. It is dead easy. I had a "yogurt maker" . It just consisted of five jars and a heater that kept the yogurt at a set temperature. I cannot remember all of the steps since it was about 30 years ago, but you would heat milk. Too about 110 F. Stir in about a tablespoon of the plain version of a brand of yogurt that you like. Pour it into the jars. They are kept at about 100 F for several hours. Place jars in the refrigerator

Greek style, just take the yogurt and pour it into a "bag" made of cheese cloth (several layers for sure) and let it hang for an hour or so.

I found that the yogurt I made tasted almost just like the store bought version. There were textural differences because I did not add any thickeners. I liked the flavor of Yoplait yogurt when I made it, but without thickeners it has the consistency of snot. Definitely not very appetizing. The taste was just fine but the consistency was a huge turn off. Don't worry if you do not like your first batch. I was lucky because I did not use Yoplait for my first shot. I might have thought that all of them turned out that way. Be ready to experiment with different brands until you find one that you like. And I never made Greek yogurt. You might want to read up on it. It is only one more step.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thank you for sharing Shadow Wolf. Would agree if a person eats a large breakfast; you will eat less throughout the day; great advice.
Thank you, but just to be clear I did not offer this as advice. I don't know if this is a normal thing or even medically sound. I just know it's how I work.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What type of yogurt, is there different types? Do you enjoy a certain yogurt the best? Granola bars, those are good, sometimes they have good combination of flavors in them. Pineapple, and Melons are such good foods to eat very help from the vitamins that they give.

Good breakfast choice there I would say.

Greek or Icelandic yogurt with granola and maybe a spoon or two of jam (I like to make my own). Icelandic yogurt is thicker, tangier and technically a cheese compared to Greek yogurt. I prefer the Icelandic variety for meals, the Greek for snacking.

Having hard eggs on toast today.

We Never Know

No Slack
Thank you for informing me on this SI.

:) Biscuits and gravy is very good ; what type of gravy white or brown do you like the best? Personally white for BaG; but brown gravy for mashed potato.

Sounds like you are a Chief. SR.

Understandable, thank you for commenting ROL.

Marcion straight speeding from all the goody goodness. :)

Haha, would agree Left-over pizza when necessary. Catfish and grits sounds very country, thank you for sharing EH.

I make my own gravy. I like bacon gravy. I cut the bacon up in small pieces, fry it, separate it on one side of the pan from the grease...then add flour to the grease until I get a thick paste. Turn the heat back on and slowly add in milk, let it thickens again(repeat about four times in total adding a little salt and pepper each time). After the forth adding of milk from then on out its all about taste(whether it needs more milk or cooking) and thicknesses.