• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Fan favorite and monetarily successful movie did you not like?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My son saw A Quite Place because friends and critics said it was a great movie. He was not impressed, he did like Get Out though. He didn't understand why so many people liked A Quite Place. I told him it just wasn't his movie.

I then told him that the Sixth Sense was raved by critics and my friends and I went to the movie just because of the hype and hated the movie. In ten minutes I knew the story and didn't really like the acting or sets. I doubt many people that found out the twist really re-watch the movie for the acting or sets.

So I am curious what successful, fan favorite movie did you see and not like. The hype at least for you was over the top. Not Star Wars though as I believe all of us believe at least 1 of the Star Wars movies was over hyped.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My son saw A Quite Place because friends and critics said it was a great movie. He was not impressed, he did like Get Out though. He didn't understand why so many people liked A Quite Place. I told him it just wasn't his movie.

I then told him that the Sixth Sense was raved by critics and my friends and I went to the movie just because of the hype and hated the movie. In ten minutes I knew the story and didn't really like the acting or sets. I doubt many people that found out the twist really re-watch the movie for the acting or sets.

So I am curious what successful, fan favorite movie did you see and not like. The hype at least for you was over the top. Not Star Wars though as I believe all of us believe at least 1 of the Star Wars movies was over hyped.

M. Night Shyamalan is waaaay overrated, IMHO. Will Smith's "Bright". At the end of the movie I was waiting for the movie to start. Weird feeling.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Way too many to list. But I will list the newer "Star Trek" movies, starting with the first one that Jar Jar Abrams butchered.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
2001 A space odyssey.
I do respect it. But I just found it boring. Although Hal is cool.

The absolute worst film I've seen in recent years was The master which was an unwatchable crock of ****. It wasn't just bad, it caused me physical discomfort because of how annoying Joaquin Phoenix's character was.

Most Marvel stuff sucks.

The recent Mad Max was bad.

Birdman was dull.

I'd also prefer to punch myself in the ears rather than watch anything with Robin Williams trying to be funny in it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The absolute worst film I've seen in recent years was The master which was an unwatchable crock of ****. It wasn't just bad, it caused me physical discomfort because of how annoying Joaquin Phoenix's character was.

Most Marvel stuff sucks.

Birdman was dull.

I'd also prefer to punch myself in the ears rather than watch anything with Robin Williams trying to be funny in it.
Aye, Mad Max Fury Road (2015) sucked.
Birdman (2014) was a snoozefest.
3 Billboards (2017) ran the gamut from dumb to hateful.
Crash (2004) might be the worst movie I've ever seen.
(Yes, even The Lonely Lady (1983) was better.)

Movies everyone else hated, but I liked....
Dune (1984)
Unbreakable (2000)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The Hobbit.
I am one of those annoying people who could quote all of Bilbo and Gollum's riddles verbatim.

No, Radagast the Brown wasn't in the book and did not ride a sled pulled by rabbits.
The friend I saw it with called me a "Tolkien snob". I completely agreed and left the theater pointing that out a little too loudly.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Most Marvel stuff sucks.

Birdman was dull.

Aye, Mad Max Fury Road (2015) sucked.
Birdman (2014) was a snoozefest.
3 Billboards (2017) ran the gamut from dumb to hateful.
(Yes, even The Lonely Lady (1983) was better.)

Movies everyone else hated, but I liked....
Dune (1984)
Unbreakable (2000)

Agree with Birdman (didn't see the point) and Mad Max, but I kinda liked 3 Billboards. I don't understand the academy award quality that many people saw in Mad Max. To me it was just great escapist entertainment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Agree with Birdman (didn't see the point) and Mad Max, but I kinda liked 3 Billboards. I don't understand the academy award quality that many people saw in Mad Max. To me it was just great escapist entertainment.
I liked Frances McDormand's performance.
No other part of the movie worked for me.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Jar Jar Abrams
never again.........
A fan-favorite I didn't really like? I wasn't a huge fan of The Force Awakens. Now, put you torches away, let me finish. I really liked Finn's character, but then he got his butt handed to him and sat out the rest of the movie. Also, why couldn't Luke say anything?! Just a single word?! Instead we had a really melodramatic camera pan, and we had to wait 2 years for him to say anything. Also:
He just falls over and dies for literally no reason. Like, he didn't do anything beside distract Kylo Ren for maybe 3 minutes. WHY?!?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That's my least favorite, highly regarded movie. I've watched it twice to make sure I was not quite in the right head space for it, only to realize, I never want to be. I kept wondering what it was about.

There is another movie that was also widely touted that I cannot wrap my head around, but I forget the name.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's my least favorite, highly regarded movie. I've watched it twice to make sure I was not quite in the right head space for it, only to realize, I never want to be. I kept wondering what it was about.

There is another movie that was also widely touted that I cannot wrap my head around, but I forget the name.
Twice?
That's like sticking a sharp stick in one eye to see if it hurts,
& then sticking it in the other eye just to be sure.
But at least you wouldn't be able to watch Crash again.