1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What faith do you find the most interesting?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Labourwave, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,502
    What religious group/faith do you find the most interesting, whether or not you believe in it or not.

Interested to hear your answers.

2. EtuMalku

EtuMalku MERCURÆN LUCIFERIAN

Ratings:
    +898
    Religion:
    H☿D
    Well mine . . . naturally!

• Like Like x 1
  3. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,922
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Buddhism.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cambridge79

cambridge79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    atheist
    everyone has some interesting aspect but if i have to pick just two i would go with zen buddhism for the philosophy part and ancient greek religion for the mithology.

#4 cambridge79, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,871
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    I have a masochistic fascination with Islam. Understand, it would never occur to me to convert or "revert" as Muslims are given to say, but I am somewhat addicted to the stuff now. If Muslims are correct and one foggy day I am standing in front of Allah and he asks me why I rejected Islam I'll snarkily say, "You created me, what the hell did you expect?"

• Like Like x 2
  6. rocala

rocala Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
    Religion:
    Buddhism / Druidry
    For me Buddhism hits the intellect but Druidism gets the heart. So far no clash,

7. StarryNightshade

StarryNightshade Aspiring Progressive Orthodox Jew
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,778
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Aside from Hinduism, I have an intellectual love for Buddhism and a mystical/devotional appreciation for Catholicism & Eastern Orthodoxy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Senseless

Senseless Bonnie & Clyde

Ratings:
    +42
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    I find myself really drawn to New Age stuff. I think it's the strongest of my interests in spiritual matters.

I've also been fascinated with Islam for quite some time now. Started reading the Quran. Not sure why, but it appeals to me.

Satanism as well; I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the pull of the dark side.

9. Vouthon

Vouthon In varietate concordia
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,297
    Religion:
    Catholic Christianity
    I find myself attracted to the Dharmic religions of the Indian subcontinent, namely Advaita Vedanta, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism.

I particularly admire the Jain teachings of Ahimsa (non-violence) and Anekantavada:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anekantavada

Anekāntavāda (Sanskrit: अनेकान्तवाद "skepticism") is one of the most important and fundamental doctrines of Jainism given by Mahavira, the last tirthankara. It refers to the principles of pluralism and multiplicity of viewpoints, or vantage points, the notion that reality is perceived differently from diverse points of view, and that no single point of view is the complete truth, yet taken together they comprise the complete truth.[1][2]

Jains contrast all attempts to arrogantly proclaim the sole monopoly on truth with andhagajanyāyah, which can be illustrated through the parable of the "blind men and an elephant". In this story, each blind man felt a different part of an elephant (trunk, leg, ear, etc.). All the men claimed to understand and explain the true appearance of the elephant, but could only partly succeed, due to their limited perspectives.[3] This principle is more formally stated by observing that objects are infinite in their qualities and modes of existence, so they cannot be completely grasped in all aspects and manifestations by finite human perception.(this is the Absolute Truth) According to the Jains, only the Kevalis—omniscient beings—can comprehend objects in all aspects and manifestations; others are only capable of partial knowledge.[4] Consequently, no single, specific, human view can claim to represent absolute truth.

#9 Vouthon, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Altfish

Altfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,019
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Scientology:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +9,009
    Religion:
    none
    Islam for me.

Fascinating history that is very relevant today.

Understanding Islamic history also leads into Jewish and Christian history, as well as Late Antique politics, linguistics, etc.

It's really one of those subjects that the more you learn about it, the more you realise you don't know.

You really want to be fluent in about 8 languages and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of 3 religions including their various sects and heresies; and know, inside out, the history of half of the known world at that time.

Unfortunately, none of the above apply to me.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Laika

Laika Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,482
    Christianity, in that no matter how fervant my materialism or atheism, there is always some bit of "cultural" christian baggage that I haven't got rid of yet. it is amazingly persistent and its influence is often hidden because it is secularised into less obvious forms.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shiranui117

Shiranui117 Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,261
    Religion:
    Eastern Orthodox Christian
    Paganism. Even though I could never bring myself to betray/abandon my God, I find the pagan folklore, mythology, mindset, ritual and culture to be absolutely fascinating. I find a lot of wisdom in those traditions (especially the Celtic and Germanic ones), and they've always had a certain allure to them. The linguistics and history to them make my inner nerd come out, and as I keep learning about paganism, I start to see where a lot of our traditions come from, and what the inspiration for a lot of the mythos in my favorite books and video games was.

• Like Like x 4
  14. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    If I weren't a Hellenic Pagan, I'd be an Egyptian one.

15. Rival

Rival Noahide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,979
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Hinduism in all of its glorious forms.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Pyrphóros ⚡Lux Aeterna
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,298
    Religion:
    Olympianism (Hellenic polytheism)
    Hellenismos, Vodun, Aztec religion, Germanic religion, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism and Jainism.

17. Jumi

Jumi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,458
    Religion:
    Secular theist (none)
    Germanic and Slavic paganism, Gnostic Christianity, Islam and Taoism are most interesting to me at this time.

18. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +874
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Hinduism. They have many festivals and holidays and seem very reverent without being pushy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thana

Thana Lady

Ratings:
    +754
    Celtic Paganism.
    I just.. there's something special about it that fascinates me :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Geoff-Allen

Geoff-Allen Resident megalomaniac

Ratings:
    +2,340
    Religion:
    Universalist
    Interesting thread!

I am attracted 2 Buddhism because it is SO practical.

Cultivate kindness & compassion and you will experience happiness. Do the opposite and you will experience the opposite.

This is something everyone can verify in their own personal experience.

All the best!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1