• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what exactly should my 'irishness' mean to me as an american anyway

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That can't be it as Northern Europeans in general are known for their alcoholicism and obsession with drowning in beer and liquor, from Ireland to Russia.
Ireland's a diverse place - it's an entire country, after all.

My Dad's side of the family is Irish. I'm part of the first generation that was born in Canada. All of my Irish-born relatives were teetotalers; it's only my cousins and me who were born here that drink alcohol.

Wandering Monk

My family dropped the 'O' in front of the last name a few generations back. Now my lineage just makes for an interesting story. BTW, we we're in a bar with a young friend of ours that seemed nervous. When I asked her what was wrong she was worried that she was the only 'mixed race' person in the place (you couldn't tell it actually). I told her I was mixed race, also. She was surprised until I told her I was Irish and human...hahaha...(are you laughing?).

Reminds me of an Irish history timeline I saw once:

Paleontologists believe that the first humans arrived in Ireland about 9500 BC. Prior to that, only the Irish lived there.​

Wandering Monk

I would highly recommend Thomas Cahill's book, How the Irish Saved Civilization.

It was an easy and very interesting read.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ireland's a diverse place - it's an entire country, after all.

My Dad's side of the family is Irish. I'm part of the first generation that was born in Canada. All of my Irish-born relatives were teetotalers; it's only my cousins and me who were born here that drink alcohol.
Well, obviously there's going to be exceptions. Still, Northern Europe does have a ridiculous drinking culture. That's just a fact.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's been longer than 19 years. I remember Desert Strike, Shield, etc., and that was in the 90s. And it's been longer than that.
As far as i know American troops have been deployed in some form at least from 1950 around the world, But i took 2001 as a bad moment for American troops because of what has happened after they go to Middle East that time. Just want to say, I am not against America as a country, but i do not support Americas military actions the way they're acting nor do i support their leaders

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To me, the Irishness is lost roots in one place with new ones beginning here. Some came as slaves and indentured servants, and we were unwanted and rejected during the Irish waves of immigration here from poor conditions in Ireland. And that ultimately we are a land of immigrants here, a land for the tired and huddled masses. The majority groups here often usually just aren't that good at living up to that part.
And there is also the parts that clash with liberal and conservative narratives revolving whiteness. From the Conservatives, such as white supremacists groups, where anti-Catholic sentiments are a thing and "white power/pride" typically in reference to specific groups of white, such as the perceived gentile Anglo-Saxon. Which can also be an issue with Liberals, because not all white people are Anglo-Saxon, not all of us share the same history in the Old World or New, and we don't share the same implied "guilt."
It also means owning up to my stubbornness and embracing it and loving it, and I'm the most recent of a few generations who have had employment related to the railroads. But, I'm not much of a drinker, and only drink occasionally. And the four leaf clover I found as a child seemed especially special.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So you may not be aware of it , but we 'irish - americans' often seem obsessed with our 'irishness.' St. paddy's day and halo-ween , america is fastidious with these for example. People like to mention that they are 'irish' in conversations.

So I think a problem is, that although we spread far and wide around this rock, my experience in internet conversations with the real Irish is that they don't really like us , or recognize us. Frankly, depending on how the ancestry thing is brought up, I have gotten some vicious comments

So I guess we are people who unfortunately may not like each other

My hunch is that the real Irish don't like the american sort of association to alcohol , and sort of want to divorce themselves from that, so that's one thing

Maybe they have a way of looking at all this that consistent with they mythology , where peoples who move about seem required to constantly 'morph' into new things

Finally , I kind of wonder about Jim Morrison's sort of comparison of the Irish people to the Jewish people , where they seem to occupy a parallel quadrant of hardy survivors, though with the unfortunate caveat of being self - destructive, according to him. If that conception is commonly held by americans , one can see why the Irish would want to divorce themselves from it
Hi........ I'm not Irish but my maternal grandfather was a Mayo and he had some sensible ideas about Americans who claim Irish blood.
During the troubles American Irish filled the 'Irish-Aid' buckets full of money when they were passed round. But many of them had no idea which side they were giving to. They just thought that the Irish were against the British.

It might have been funny if the money had not been buying guns. It was a lottery as to which Irish side got the guns.

And so..... the very first thing that American Irish can do is to discover where their families came from, what their families believed in, how they might have suffered, what they hoped for. And then they will become from a real Irish root, and they will have learned about it.

If you ever should walk around the 'Murals' of Belfast, or wander through the estates where, suddenly, a huge wheeled barrier to block the road is seen drawn back (or in place!) you will see just how accurate you need your Irish blood to be.

I used to visit Belfast occasionally to take training courses and the course organisers would sometimes arrange for me to be driven around the streets to see the Catholic and Protestant Murals. I photographed these and could upload some on to this thread if you like. The history isd complex.

:)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The only true Americans are the native Americans or American Indian groups if you like. So the rest of "Americans" actually comes from other part of the world. And maybe it would be good if people appreciated their heritage.
True, but on that basis the only true English are Welsh and Cornish folks. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It is true that some fighting and conquering did happen in the Viking Era, but we had the heart to stop fighting others, and 99% of the people were fishermen or farmers all the time. 1250 was last time Viking in Norway fought a deadly battle
Try 1940. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I was answering toward Vikings ;) 1940 to 45 was more of a poor attempt on defending our self from Germany at that time.

Our Northumbrian and Yorkshire Brits have lots of Viking blood in them. Our blood lines are scattered around the globe. Because of this I hail to where I am, and I acknowledge all my neighbours regardless of race, creed, religion, colour or past nationality. We are all Brits. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Our Northumbrian and Yorkshire Brits have lots of Viking blood in them. Our blood lines are scattered around the globe. Because of this I hail to where I am, and I acknowledge all my neighbours regardless of race, creed, religion, colour or past nationality. We are all Brits. :)
Brits are good people :) So if i do have some British blood within me i am ok with that :) I have probably less Norwegian blood within me anyway :p I Don't feel much Norwegian