• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is it?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
So what is polytheism, really?

Obviously there is the belief in many gods. But what do polytheists believe about creation or the origins of these gods? I know that some polytheists believe that there is a greater force, perhaps a non-personal force, from which the God and Goddess (or gods and goddesses) originate.
I would argue that this is in fact monotheism, at least in some cases.

Do all polytheists believe that there is a single origin of all the gods? If not, how do they exist and how does the universe exist?

Boethiah

Penguin
I assume you mean hard polytheism?

I would not say that all polytheists believe there is a single origin of all the Gods. From what I have read (but I am not an expert on all polytheistic traditions), many myths have a "branch out" sort of theme. What I mean by that is the original ideas are vast and simple, but then become more specific to accommodate polytheism.

Much like what you said, it is an originating force. In Greek mythology, things began with Chaos and then began to branch out. Polytheistic deities tend to be more human like than monotheistic deities. Deities mate with other deities to create new deities. Relationships form. The abundance of deities creates more specific Gods.

I'm lean more towards soft polytheism in my view, but I reckon that some things have to be taken metaphorically if there is no celestial plane where the Gods reside. For example, the beginnings of the universe could be considered the chaos, and the development thereafter could be considered the creation of the pantheon. That is my speculation, though.

Really, polytheism is monotheism broken apart. Rather than having one deity do it all, there are many deities doing their own thing with each other, creating a web of sorts that makes the pantheon unique.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Obviously there is the belief in many gods. But what do polytheists believe about creation or the origins of these gods? I know that some polytheists believe that there is a greater force, perhaps a non-personal force, from which the God and Goddess (or gods and goddesses) originate.

Do all polytheists believe that there is a single origin of all the gods? If not, how do they exist and how does the universe exist?

Polytheism is a theology, so it varies upon each religions that use this theological view.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Really, polytheism is monotheism broken apart. Rather than having one deity do it all, there are many deities doing their own thing with each other, creating a web of sorts that makes the pantheon unique.

But then there is another difference, which is that these many gods are not eternal- they came into existence at some point. Is their existence an accident? And they just happen to have powers to work to govern the universe?

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
All I can give you is my personal views on this. I hope you dont mind :)

One theory of mine is that the Gods were created by humans. Thought is a powerful thing, and when a large group of people strongly believe in one specific thing, then that thought becomes form, which in this case would be the Gods. If everyone stopped believing in the Gods, they would "die" or cease to exist, which would confirm that the Gods are not eternal. How many Gods have already died? I do not know, because I have neither Their name nor record of Their existence.

Another part to this is, we humans gave Them power. Because we believed that They had power, They did. Do they have power over the Universe? Not much more than we humans do (which is pretty considerable, actually).

However, because the Gods have not told me that this is true, I do not profess that this is actually what is happening. :D

Boethiah

Penguin
But then there is another difference, which is that these many gods are not eternal- they came into existence at some point. Is their existence an accident? And they just happen to have powers to work to govern the universe?

If the Gods were created or originated from another source, then the difference between it and monotheism is only singularity. Whereas the monotheistic tradition postulates God has never changed and has been eternal, the polytheistic tradition can postulate that the Gods came from another source. I can't name any traditions that suggest the Gods just poofed out of thin air and began doing their thing. The polytheistic tradition simply is divided monotheism.

Perhaps the deities themselves are not eternal as in their individual personalities and spheres of influence, but the source in which they are derived is eternal or as old as the universe.

Their powers to govern the universe have a lot to do with the tradition in general. Each deity is different. Them having the power is just as likely as a monotheistic deity.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for your answer. To clarify, might it be that with polytheism, that 'source' has 'divided' itself to be those many gods but no longer exists in its original 'form'?

Boethiah

Penguin
Thank you for your answer. To clarify, might it be that with polytheism, that 'source' has 'divided' itself to be those many gods but no longer exists in its original 'form'?

I would agree so. The Gods would be united by their common source and the stuff they are made from, but once the original spirit has been changed, it is no longer the same.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok cool, thanks for that. I think I understand now.

The reason I was confused is because in Hinduism, there are many gods but they are expansions of the One original God, who is unchanged and eternal. Thus many consider it to be monotheism.

But now I see the difference.

I would not say that all polytheists believe there is a single origin of all the Gods. From what I have read (but I am not an expert on all polytheistic traditions), many myths have a "branch out" sort of theme. What I mean by that is the original ideas are vast and simple, but then become more specific to accommodate polytheism.

Much like what you said, it is an originating force. In Greek mythology, things began with Chaos and then began to branch out. Polytheistic deities tend to be more human like than monotheistic deities. Deities mate with other deities to create new deities. Relationships form. The abundance of deities creates more specific Gods.

I'm lean more towards soft polytheism in my view, but I reckon that some things have to be taken metaphorically if there is no celestial plane where the Gods reside. For example, the beginnings of the universe could be considered the chaos, and the development thereafter could be considered the creation of the pantheon. That is my speculation, though.

I find polytheism fascinating. It's like indulging all those great images I get from fantasy based movies, novels or games. If I didn't possess the religious convictions I have now, I'm quite certain I'd be happily tied somehow to this area of devotion. :)

Boethiah

Penguin
I find polytheism fascinating. It's like indulging all those great images I get from fantasy based movies, novels or games. If I didn't possess the religious convictions I have now, I'm quite certain I'd be happily tied somehow to this area of devotion. :)

I agree with you completely. I think polytheism has grasped culture, at least in the West (I don't know about anywhere else), because of its foreign nature. Polytheism is an oftentimes forgotten concept to many people I know at least (or dismissed).

I think polytheistic ideas are making a comeback. Media influence probably doesn't hurt. :D

Jeneshisu

Smile ^^
A lot of the polytheists I've known just ended up being pantheists. I think polytheism is interesting. Believing in many gods. I have always wondered how one goes about deciding which gods actually exist and others that are made up.. or if all gods exist, or something else. Rather than just being up for grabs and the whole "theyre just archetypes" thing. How does that work exactly?

Acim

Revelation all the time
My take is from the scriptural verse that says (I think) - "ye are gods." Which could mean "you are god's" (belong to God), but I usually understand it as acknowledgment that all of us are god-like or divine. While also understanding that there is Source or our Creator. So ultimately I come down on side of monotheism, but I do think it allows for polytheistic construct to help (fully) realize divinity is within each and everyone, rather than say in a certain one from whom I am separate.

I do also have understanding of polytheism as is beings who are essentially not roaming earth physically but are not (exactly) Source. While I generally think of this as Guides, I do often have conception of spirits that manipulate earthly processes, and for sure games of luck. Like I will reference "poker Gods" frequently when playing poker. And reference "golf gods" when playing disc golf. For most part this is done in jest, but today was a day when I couldn't buy a break in disc golf even while my stroke was pretty good. My disc was finding every tree which seems like something more at work than simply 'bad luck.'

Anyway, I digress.

The reason I was confused is because in Hinduism, there are many gods but they are expansions of the One original God, who is unchanged and eternal. Thus many consider it to be monotheism.

But now I see the difference.

I'm not sure I grasp the difference other than I generally don't care too much to explore this too deeply.

Like another way I understand my brand of polytheism is via Demiurge that created the physical and that this being as separated its consciousness into us. There is still unifying spirit while there is illusion of separation and separate purposes, separate divine wills. One has extra powers of say ESP, another has extra powers of telekinesis, etc. Not that I actually see it in that way, but just way to say there is separation and imbalance in 'overall power' of the original form.

But between this rendition, the way I understand Hindu rendition and say the Greek/Roman rendition(s), I still think there is underlying sameness if considering Source. And thus only perceived, made-up differences that are fun to consider, but are ultimately illusionary (I think).

Anyway, that confusion can stay with me as I'm not sure what debate there is to have here. Polytheism assumes a fundamental level of distinction and underlying sameness is essentially asking polytheism to conform to monotheism, which is unfair to some versions of polytheism, I would think.

Many Sages One Truth

I personally believe the gods and goddeses are part of one God-force. As for this actually being Monotheism. Yes and no. On one hand, it is a type of Monotheism, on another hand, it is perhaps a disservice. Some would not call it Monotheism because they do not wish to identify with the Abrahamic religions.

On another note, there's the fact that the majority of Monotheists would not wish to admit Pagans could be Monotheistic. They are reluctant to do so, even with Hinduism, and most scholars of Hinduism used to classify it as Polytheistic, quite on purpose.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

You mean polytheism is a corrupted form of monotheism; if I get you correct.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If the Gods were created or originated from another source, then the difference between it and monotheism is only singularity. Whereas the monotheistic tradition postulates God has never changed and has been eternal, the polytheistic tradition can postulate that the Gods came from another source. I can't name any traditions that suggest the Gods just poofed out of thin air and began doing their thing. The polytheistic tradition simply is divided monotheism.

Perhaps the deities themselves are not eternal as in their individual personalities and spheres of influence, but the source in which they are derived is eternal or as old as the universe.

Their powers to govern the universe have a lot to do with the tradition in general. Each deity is different. Them having the power is just as likely as a monotheistic deity.

My religion, Ahmadiyya Islam, tell me:

[55:30] Of Him do beg all that are in the heavens and the earth. Every day He reveals Himself in a different state.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

We experience changing reflections of the one true attributive creator God; yet He does not change.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

If "no longer exists" means that He has died; I don't agree with it.
My religion, Ahmadiyya Islam tells me:

[25:59] And trust thou in the Living One, Who dies not, and glorify Him with His praise. And sufficient is He as the Knower of the sins of His servants,
[25:60] He Who created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them in six periods, then He settled Himself on the Throne. The Gracious God! Ask thou then concerning Him one who knows.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Paarsurrey, I am asking only from the perspective of polytheism and their beliefs in order to try to understand their belief.

The problem with this is God is designed in conceptual theory as Someone with complete authority and control. A God who doesnt have these qualities is not a God but, an advanced being with extended capabilities. Humans can get to this level; where we can control and intervene into controlling certain aspects of what you describe. Rivers can be controlled and adjusted, wildlife like trees and lands and even weather in some circumstances. A monotheistic God relates to people and has all the control. Jesus Christ demonstrated the ability of being God by something called miracles, and miraculous intervention. something which only God can do and it cannot be controlled or manipulated by people or other beings. Not even spiritual, like angels or demons.