• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What even is possession?

Kapalika

Premium Member
Translations and culture-relative readings of the Bible are the source from which modern culture gets ideas about exorcism. If you are talking about exorcisms without reference the Bible, then just use modern terms like ideas, diseases, viruses, multiple personalities, hallucinations, political opinions etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. Lots of other cultures have the concept too. I can't find them googling right now, but I once read a lengthy detailed article about a culture in the Caribbean that does rites to cause someone to be possessed so that ancestors can partake in food with them, as one example.

I'd say there are two types of possession: Intentional and not intentional.

If intentional, then it's basically an indefinite invocation. In other words, keeping up a connection to a spiritual entity outside of a ritual context and allowing them to further influence oneself.

Yes! This! Praise the darkness! Hail Satan! I knew a sibling in Satan would get it :p

If not intentional, then it's a spiritual entity, or a part of one's subconscious, or a combination thereof, influencing one's conscious mind and forcing one to specific behavious different from what one wants (or believes oneself to want). Seems to happen most commonly to people of religions that forbid even intentional invocations of those entities.

That is kind of ironic. I think maybe they see parts of themselves or even archetypes in them they don't like and freak out, and by loosing their cool let it take over and then play out all their fears.

Not really any personal experiences here either, so only theoretical.
I'd argue that pretty much every devotee of a deity does a very subtle form of the intentional version subconsciously. But I wouldn't really call it possession if one doesn't actually perceive that deity as a personified entity within oneself.

Right.

It's super-maddening when you're a Christian and other Christians do that to you.

I can't speak on it, not Christian lol But ya I can get how frustrating that would be.

A mental illness is not caused my demons. A jesus follower who says that is just saying a bunch of nonsense.
Some even think someone being on heavy drugs is possessed by demon.

Well, ya. I'm in agreement.

What do you personally think of former Atheist Howard Storm's assertion that there is a Legion of former humans out there in a relatively low energetic dimension of space - time......who can attempt to deceive somebody newly deceased...... away from the light into darkness?

Personally... I do believe this is real..... and this sure fits with the book "Hungry Ghosts" by Joe Fischer.

Reverend Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

I hadn't heard of him but I do believe in a legion of former life forms who manifest to various other life forms in the Universe for... varying purposes. The process of this is a little complicated but I've been possessed/controlled by them before for either my benefit or others'. Our alliances were the same however :)

We wouldn't dare deceive people, but leading them into darkness... yes. But to us, light, dark, it's all the same in the absolute :)

Liu

Yes! This! Praise the darkness! Hail Satan! I knew a sibling in Satan would get it :p
Hail thyself, and may you feel His presence forevermore :blush:

That is kind of ironic. I think maybe they see parts of themselves or even archetypes in them they don't like and freak out, and by loosing their cool let it take over and then play out all their fears.
Exactly.
Which would mean as a Satanist who is (at least possibly) more in alignment with their subconscious, it can actually be much more difficult to get possessed even intentionally.
If one doesn't perceive most parts of oneself to be alien to oneself, how to exernalize them to that extent?
(Talking from a mainly psychological perspective here.)

idav

Being
Premium Member
I dunno what people even mean when they talk about possession. Some (say christians) differentiate between "demonic oppression" and "demonic possession" and some (say pagans) liken it to a rape-tastic version of a spiritual communion. Some say it's when they take you over or when they get in you and talk through you.

I've been accused of being oppressed, possessed all of it. One time some guy actually tried to "cast demons out" of me without my consent which was hilariously ineffectual. I've had people say prayers at me everything tell me I'm gonna go to hell and that I'm doomed. It's been almost 10 years now since people have told me this. I seem okay, for the most part (at least on the spirits in me kind of deal).

Anyways I seem, to in my language, not differentiate between possession and communion. There are lines and boundaries and it isn't hard with the right tools (mental or symbolic) to "shut off" that part of your brain experiencing the phenomena goes past those limits you are comfortable with. This is pretty normal magical techniques people are taught to prevent, well, going a bit bonkers. Seems rewiring your brain and/or forcing your body/brain to release certain chemicals can really go bad if you done goof on it. Weird.

Maybe that's a little abtruse so another way to say it, is that it's my position that since all spiritual phenomena originate from and is experienced by consciousness and not some kind of ethereal meta-physical substance that the difference of communion, spirit interaction and possession are not inherent but situational.

I would differentiate spirit interaction from communion/possession, however, since the latter is a kind of "melding" and the former is more of just communication but even for me the lines between them become fuzzy. I would glady say, sure, I've been possessed before. It was fun, I think communion is fun. It's just a difference of how it's experienced, for me.

Someone who believes that spirits are "real" and live outside of us will of course have a different view, since they are treating spirits as if they are animals running around. Now, I'm not saying spirits don't exist, I'm just saying they are not physical. To me, them being astral, meta-physical or ethereal or whatever is just saying they are another kind of physical. Substance is still substance which means it can be detected by physical phenomena, which hasn't happened so far (given it was critically examined).

So uh, ya. That's why I think possession is kind of, just whatever. What do you think?
Could be a multiple personality disorder, those are fascinating, it is crazy to me how messed up our consciousness can get, very fragile and dangerous to mess with. I wouldn't mess with anything I thought would get me possessed, that sounds too much like flipping your lid.

Could even be like this fungus that takes over the ants body and mind.

DennisTate

I'm not sure what you mean. Lots of other cultures have the concept too. I can't find them googling right now, but I once read a lengthy detailed article about a culture in the Caribbean that does rites to cause someone to be possessed so that ancestors can partake in food with them, as one example.

Right.

I can't speak on it, not Christian lol But ya I can get how frustrating that would be.

I hadn't heard of him but I do believe in a legion of former life forms who manifest to various other life forms in the Universe for... varying purposes. The process of this is a little complicated but I've been possessed/controlled by them before for either my benefit or others'. Our alliances were the same however :)

We wouldn't dare deceive people, but leading them into darkness... yes. But to us, light, dark, it's all the same in the absolute
:)

Good answer.... thank you!

I could be wrong... but I do believe that Lucifer has accepted his new name...... Stanley Milgram Lucifer...... and I have reason to believe that Azazel Baalzebub... has accepted his new name..... Abner Paul Azazel Baalzebub...... and Lilith has accepted her new name.... Mary Magdalene Gomer Lilith....... and heaven and hell are about to be married....... sort of?!

Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus played the role of Messiah the Passover Lamb.... but now there are two goats..... both of whom are anxious to have competition..... (OK, I suppose I should speak for myself but I know that i feel a move up to another level is imminent)....... because the thirty year anniversary is coming up in 2021........

I think you will want to do a little search for this.....

Rabbi ........, linking Jerusalem Third Temple with Grand Unified Theory of Modern World Problems.Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:00 PM

DennisTate

I am 99% that Stanley Milgram Lucifer.......
actually wants his strongest followers to become Christians......
but Christians is a word and is subject to definition......
I mean the Gnostic type.....
in the mentality of Doubting Thomas, Judas Didymus Thomas, the twin....

Peace on earth can be organized through pages 137 - 170 of the book that you will find excerpts from here:

www.ThomasTwin.com/

and......

Could Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus really have said this?

Kapalika

Premium Member
Which would mean as a Satanist who is (at least possibly) more in alignment with their subconscious, it can actually be much more difficult to get possessed even intentionally.
If one doesn't perceive most parts of oneself to be alien to oneself, how to exernalize them to that extent?
(Talking from a mainly psychological perspective here.)

Funny you say that, as I think that fits my intuitional inclination too,about alignment, subconscious ect.

I guess, I just know something I want to be more like, and let it take me over, does that make sense? I don't know. I guess for me I do more some meditation which is more of a gradual process but surely a more... stable one? Just throwing it out there. Me getting "possessed" is actually relatively easy, depending on the spirit. But that's rather "at will" and perhaps could even just (purely psychologically speaking) be likened to "ego states" or taking on some kind of archetype.

Dunno. I'm not totally sure what I think so I'm just throwing out random guesses. Perhaps this is an area I need to think more on and experiment with haha

Reactions: Liu

Liu

Funny you say that, as I think that fits my intuitional inclination too,about alignment, subconscious ect.

I guess, I just know something I want to be more like, and let it take me over, does that make sense? I don't know. I guess for me I do more some meditation which is more of a gradual process but surely a more... stable one? Just throwing it out there. Me getting "possessed" is actually relatively easy, depending on the spirit. But that's rather "at will" and perhaps could even just (purely psychologically speaking) be likened to "ego states" or taking on some kind of archetype.

Dunno. I'm not totally sure what I think so I'm just throwing out random guesses. Perhaps this is an area I need to think more on and experiment with haha
Me as well, because I have not experienced anything that'd convince me of the existence of spirits let alone anything I'd truly refer to as possession. But I've also not really tried that much yet. It's difficult to free oneself from skepticism. I guess I really just need to practice more in general.

Muffled

Jesus in me
A mental illness is not caused my demons. A jesus follower who says that is just saying a bunch of nonsense.
Some even think someone being on heavy drugs is possessed by demon.

I believe you are correct but I also believe that most people would find it difficult mentally to cope with a possession. In fact most people would rather explain it away as a mental aberration.

DennisTate

Right.

We wouldn't dare deceive people, but leading them into darkness... yes. But to us, light, dark, it's all the same in the absolute :)

Howard Storm made an intriguing statement during the first part of his NDE.....

Reverend Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

We started going faster and faster, out of the darkness. Embraced by the light, feeling wonderful and crying, I saw off in the distance something that looked like the picture of a galaxy, except that it was larger and there were more stars than I had seen on Earth. There was a great center of brilliance. In the center there was an enormously bright concentration. Outside the center countless millions of spheres of light were flying about entering and leaving what was a great being-ness at the center. It was off in the distance. Then I ... I didn't say it, I thought it. I said, "Put me back."

What I meant by telling the light to put me back, was to put me back into the pit. I was so ashamed of who I was, and what I had been all of my life, that all I wanted to do was hide in the darkness. I didn't want to go toward the light anymore - I did; yet I didn't. How many times in my life had I denied and scoffed at the reality before me, and how many thousands of times had I used it as a curse. What incredible intellectual arrogance to use the name as an insult. I was afraid to go closer. I was also aware that the incredible intensity of the emanations might disintegrate what I still experienced as my intact physical body. The being who was supporting me, my friend, was aware of my fear and reluctance and shame. For the first time he spoke to my mind in a male voice and told me that if I was uncomfortable we didn't have to go closer. So we stopped where we were, still countless miles away from the Great being. For the first time, my friend, and I will refer to him in that context hereafter, said to me, "You belong here." [Webmaster Note: Howard believes his friend was Jesus Christ.]

Howard Storm came to the place where he considered himself no better than the zombie like former humans who he had met during the first part of his out of the body experience........

His admission to being no better than them.......
set him up for the rest of his amazing near death experience.

Isaiah 57:15

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holyplace, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.