1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What entitles you to be mean to outsiders?

Discussion in 'Seekers Circle' started by Ellen Brown, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Sorry, just trying to sort the NONSENSE
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,305
    Religion:
    I hope there is something out there that is smarter than me.
    Still smarting from an encounter I had last night on this forum. Trying to make sense of it.

As I mull this over, I've run into people from lots of different belief systems that have been abusive and unkind. Though, most people, even Atheists tend to be at least civil.

Perhaps it is unfair to blame a particular belief system, because the percentage of jerks in humanity is evenly spread?

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,085
    Jerk knows no boundry.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,192
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    Most people aren't jerks because of what they believe. They are jerks because it makes them feel good. It serves their ego to belittle others to inflate their own self-esteem. And they tend to believe whatever nonsense they hear that ratifies this inclination within them. That's why there are jerks among every group of humans regardless of what they profess to believe (or disbelieve): they are jerks, first, and believers second.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +6,860
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian
    Just being alive gives me as much right to be mean to anyone as you have the right to be good to everyone. I think one big problem many folks have is that they think they have the right to control how others think.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,917
    Religion:
    Antipolitician
    I can be a jerk sometimes. I get tired, upset, just a lot of frustration with what is going on in the day. I try not to be but sometimes you're just in that emotional state that the next person that looks at you gets a dose of full frontal jerkiness.

It happens. When it happens towards me I usually consider the jerkiness has nothing to do with me personally. It's an issue that person is having for which I just happed to be a convenient someone that had a reason to ask them something. I don't take it personally.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Libertarian Capitalist Atheist Baconist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,124
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Some people just get mean when they disagree.
    I find that avoiding them (mostly) makes this forum more fun.

A theory....
    Such people tend to have a strong & rigid sense that they have
    The Truth, & that anyone who disagrees is wrong....a challenger
    to what is right & good. Angry intolerance ensues.
    It could be any worldview....political affiliation, economics, religion.
    Even being on the same side cannot inoculate one against rage.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,962
    Religion:
    Atheist
    3D6D20C0-11E1-4E41-9B85-75DDE32BAD12.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,849
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Sometimes we don't know the whole story. If you've had repeated negative encounters with the same person, or even the same group of believers, you're more likely to become snarkier quicker. Can't take it personally.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Sorry, just trying to sort the NONSENSE
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,305
    Religion:
    I hope there is something out there that is smarter than me.
    I can't mention anything more specifically other than to say that I really admire this group of people, but some of them have a giant persecution complex, and I am sorry for them.

10. Earthling

Earthling David Henson
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    There are 3 posters who occasionally **** me off due to their being overly critical of Christianity, reflecting, not upon teachings, but on a personal level while those posters themselves claim to be, to a greater or lesser extent, Christian. This bothers me because it's a false sense of morality that tends to project itself above Christian teachings while being somewhat ignorant of the original teachings of Christ, not in an arguable or debatable sense, but just from arrogance. Like Christ should have been more like them. **mod delete***

I am myself critical of teachings and beliefs of all kinds, including Christian, but I never presume that anything I would offer is better than the original.

Often your criticism of people, like JW's are based upon criticisms of Christ's instructions to his disciples. Sometimes I gotta' speak my mind when I should shut my trap. But I tend to do that and everything's cool with me because it isn't really personal, even though it may sound personal.

Saying, for example, that someone is being foolish, or harsher words to that effect, from my perspective applies to what you are saying, not to who is saying it in a general sense on a personal level. Is that mean? It's often taken that way, but it isn't the spirit in which it is given. I should be more diplomatic in my expression . . . but sometimes the level of my contempt can't be fully expressed in a more polite fashion.

#10 Earthling, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
  11. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,849
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    This forum, or more accurately, the posters who come here, are a very small representation of any faith. To think it represents the entire group accurately is most likely folly. Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,980
    Religion:
    ?
    What, exactly, is an "outsider?" Not sure I consider anyone this. For one thing, I hate labels. For another - I don't belong to any self-identifying groups. Not a one - except maybe my place of employment, if we're getting technical. I don't care what my "culture" is - no matter where I live I see absolutely no point in amassing "pride" for the general area. Perhaps some of the people inside the area, but the area itself? Pointless. Community is not the area you live in, but the people within that area. I don't follow sports teams - also completely pointless. The only time sports matters is when you are playing. The only time to root for a team is if you are personally playing in that team. If you have loved ones or friends playing, root for them specifically... that they are part of the team is for them to worry about. I may be white, may be male, may be of some European descent - none of which did I choose, nor can I exert control over those things. I would never say I "belong" to the overall "white community" - as far as I am concerned there is no such thing, nor would I care to be considered a part of it even if there was.

To even contemplate someone as an "outsider", your mind has to already be formulating ways in which it can divide itself off from the rest of the world, and think itself separate. I simply don't do this. It is a waste of time, and only fosters division.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,518
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Even atheists? Unbelievable.

Ciao

- viole

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,124
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    I know.
    They're the worst (in my experience).

15. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,061
    Religion:
    None
    Most people can become verbally aggressive at some point ("even atheists"*). Why can be one or more of many factors, religious differences being just one. Whether religion (or lack of it) is a driving factor, probably, because a persons faith helps shape who they are, it can be an emotive subject and this is a forum where religion is discussed.

I think on this forum the posters are, for the most part, quite civilised but it can sometimes get fractious.

May i suggest if a poster upsets you the answer is simple, use the ignore option and let them rant all they want, it wont effect you.

* Im an atheist

16. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,061
    Religion:
    None
    You think? I should rephrase that, you think!

17. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,124
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Nah....we heathens can be real jerks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,061
    Religion:
    None
    I am truly astounded, thats a very thoughtful thing to say

19. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,124
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    So I'm a thoughtful jerk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,061
    Religion:
    None
    You think ! ! !

• Funny Funny x 1