• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What effect does religion have on your life?

What effect does religion have on your life

• positive

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • negative

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • neither

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • something different

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't care

• oh please not another poll

• Total voters

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes it does. Religion frees me from physical attachment. It allows me to explore my own nature, and gives me a greater sense of myself.

On the contrary a lot of major religions feel like shackles. That's why I have my own independent religious perspective. My own religion I came to by developing my own philosophical convictions. I was SBNR, but then as I developed my logic I came to have religious convictions. I have a sense of what is sacred, and what is rejectable.

So I have a path to follow, that's always been calling me. And I rather enjoy the journey I've taken.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The incense smells nice.

Mindfulness is hard to maintain, yet makes life immensely easier when it works.

Monkey calms down whenever there is nothing to cling onto. That dazzling pool !

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't currently participate in any religious activities, although I want to. The majority form of religion in the US (evangelical Christianity) right now leaves me cold, so it would be a minority form, if I were to pick one. Mainline Christianity is a possibility, but I am trying to figure out what "other" Christian forms are. Anyone know?
As far as how other religions affect my life, I am not LGBT, poor, sick, a minority, etc, so it doesn't directly, but I don't like how some people want the country to run by their specific religious beliefs, which affects the above mentioned people. Jesus said to serve the least and these "Christians" are hurting the least.

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I answered "something different" due to how my beliefs and religion are so different from most people, it's really not either positive or negative, just ... something different altogether. Sometimes I can alienate people with the way I present my ideas but I very much so like the ideas I have and they give me inspiration and hope to do and have a better life.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Religion in general is worldwide. One doesn't have to be religious for religion to effect their life.

Regarding your life, does religion have an effect on your life.

Hopefully I included enough choices lol
My spiritual beliefs have helped me improve my lifestyle and motivation, completely turned me around from nihilism.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Religion in general is worldwide. One doesn't have to be religious for religion to effect their life.

To the extent that it affects me, which isn't a lot, I would have to say that it is negative.

As an atheist in a country where most people don't even think enough about religion to know if they are (a)theists, religion doesn't affect me a whole lot. However, when it DOES, it rarely is anything but negative.

In social settings, it tends to be divisive and / or judgemental.
In fiscal setting, (part of) my taxes are used to sponsor churches and mosques (if given the choice, I would not want my taxes to be spend on such - followers can sponsor their own corrupt organizations).
In politics, it serves as a hindrance to humane laws and debates involving abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, etc.

I could go on for a bit, but those 3 seem to be the most common / important.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe Jesus saved me from Covid-19.

HonestJoe

Unfortunately, I think you missed the definitive right answer; "both".

Precisely because religion is worldwide (and pretty much always has been), many aspects of every persons life will have been influenced or impacted by religion one way or another, even if we're not aware of it because it's subtle, ancient or extremely indirect. I expect those influences will vary massively, some positive, some negative and most relatively neutral in balance.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My spiritual practice and associated reflections are the foundational pillars around which I organize my life. So it's better to say that Brahman-awareness IS my life. Though you won't see much of this if you see me. Just like foundations and pillars of a building, they are mostly hidden from view. So, paradoxically, I have zero religiosity. Since That is as accessible to me and as essential to my life as the air I breathe, I do not need any specific shrine or rituals etc. to get close to That. Though I do participate if others are doing.

PureX

Veteran Member
It was organized religion (Catholicism in my case) that introduced a whole range of ethical questions and possible solutions into my consciousness. And for that I am very grateful.