• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your worldview teach about love?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
My worldview is based on the biblical revelation that God is Love (1 John 4:8) and the definition that...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

That's my favorite bible quote. It's one of the ones I understand. That's the one that lead me to grapple with Christianity. Grapple in the sense of trying to understand it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Oh, you are way off target now because I have no *will* to believe. Rather, I have a *reason* to believe.
This is something most non-believers simply don't get. As a matter of fact, I don't really think it's possible to either will yourself to believe or will yourself not to believe.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This is something most non-believers simply don't get. As a matter of fact, I don't really think it's possible to either will yourself to believe or will yourself not to believe.
I agree. It is not a matter of will. I believe because we see evidence that God exists, and nonbelievers look at my evidence and do not see it the same way I see it, as evidence for God. :)

But why do I see the evidence and they do not? There are myriad reasons but only God knows those reasons.

I have tried to drop God off at the bus depot many times but I cannot get rid of Him because I see the evidence that He exists... I guess I will be better off in the end, but meanwhile I have to do what I have been enjoined to do by God because I believe God exists... Some nonbelievers think it is just so easy being a believer... :rolleyes:

osgart

Love separates us from our savage nature, and brings us into a higher order, an entirely new, and advanced cause and effect, one that demands deserving fairness, and offers forever peace.

So to me we sit in the struggle awaiting to break free.

atanu

Premium Member
Interested to hear all the different views out there on loving others and kindness.

Buddhism teaches the ideal of Bodhicitta (the Buddha's own heart)- that the best kind of love to aspire toward is the Buddha's all-encompassing love and compassion for all beings. To meditate on that heart of love and let that guide us.

Love is fundamental aspect of existence consciousness. The mushy feelings of love and hatred are only manifestations of a small part of that.

We spiritualists say that Gravity is the manifestation of love that pervades the existence.:)

Akivah

Love is a basic quality needed by all. Every person needs to feel loved by family, friends and, one's spouse. Love itself is an intangible quality. It's not what the other person does for you; it's the sentiment which is behind the act and the reason for it. It’s the life behind the relationship. Feelings of love cannot exist in a vacuum, they must be translated into deeds. If love is complete it consumes the entirety of the person. It cannot be relegated to any single aspect of one's personality. Love means being all-there for the one you cherish. When love translates into actions, it is all-encompassing and complete.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When we die we break free of the human condition of natural suffering.
I agree that happens, but then what do you think happens? o_O

Do you think we have to wait till we die to be free of suffering?
That is probably true for some of us, but not everyone. ;)

osgart

I agree that happens, but then what do you think happens? o_O

Do you think we have to wait till we die to be free of suffering?
That is probably true for some of us, but not everyone. ;)

We enter into an unknowable realm of existence. Free from physical pain.

You'll have to excuse me, I suffer from severe neurological problems, sleep apnea on top of that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We enter into an unknowable realm of existence. Free from physical pain.
That is exactly what I believe, although I believe that God is responsible for this unknowable realm. :)
You'll have to excuse me, I suffer from severe neurological problems, sleep apnea on top of that.
I am sad to hear that you have physical problems but you have nothing to excuse...:)

I do not have any physical problems but I have enough other problems to sink a large ocean liner. :(
Thankfully, those will all be gone after I die, since they are all related to this material realm of existence. ;)

“Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering. It is ignorance that binds man to it, for no comfort can be secured by any soul in this world, from monarch down to the most humble commoner. If once this life should offer a man a sweet cup, a hundred bitter ones will follow; such is the condition of this world. The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 200

osgart

That is exactly what I believe, although I believe that God is responsible for this unknowable realm. :)

I am sad to hear that you have physical problems but you have nothing to excuse...:)

I do not have any physical problems but I have enough other problems to sink a large ocean liner. :(
Thankfully, those will all be gone after I die, since they are all related to this material realm of existence. ;)

“Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering. It is ignorance that binds man to it, for no comfort can be secured by any soul in this world, from monarch down to the most humble commoner. If once this life should offer a man a sweet cup, a hundred bitter ones will follow; such is the condition of this world. The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 200
I love this saying you quoted. I'd frame that and hang it on me wall.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I love this saying you quoted. I'd frame that and hang it on me wall.
That storehouse of suffering passage speaks directly to my heart... :D :(

Here is another one you might like, one I cling to like a life raft. :)

“In this world we are influenced by two sentiments, Joy and Pain.

Joy gives us wings! In times of joy our strength is more vital, our intellect keener, and our understanding less clouded. We seem better able to cope with the world and to find our sphere of usefulness. But when sadness visits us we become weak, our strength leaves us, our comprehension is dim and our intelligence veiled. The actualities of life seem to elude our grasp, the eyes of our spirits fail to discover the sacred mysteries, and we become even as dead beings.

There is no human being untouched by these two influences; but all the sorrow and the grief that exist come from the world of matter—the spiritual world bestows only the joy!

If we suffer it is the outcome of material things, and all the trials and troubles come from this world of illusion.

For instance, a merchant may lose his trade and depression ensues. A workman is dismissed and starvation stares him in the face. A farmer has a bad harvest, anxiety fills his mind. A man builds a house which is burnt to the ground and he is straightway homeless, ruined, and in despair.

All these examples are to show you that the trials which beset our every step, all our sorrow, pain, shame and grief, are born in the world of matter; whereas the spiritual Kingdom never causes sadness. A man living with his thoughts in this Kingdom knows perpetual joy. The ills all flesh is heir to do not pass him by, but they only touch the surface of his life, the depths are calm and serene.”

Paris Talks, pp. 109-110

osgart

That storehouse of suffering passage speaks directly to my heart... :D :(

Here is another one you might like, one I cling to like a life raft. :)

“In this world we are influenced by two sentiments, Joy and Pain.

Joy gives us wings! In times of joy our strength is more vital, our intellect keener, and our understanding less clouded. We seem better able to cope with the world and to find our sphere of usefulness. But when sadness visits us we become weak, our strength leaves us, our comprehension is dim and our intelligence veiled. The actualities of life seem to elude our grasp, the eyes of our spirits fail to discover the sacred mysteries, and we become even as dead beings.

There is no human being untouched by these two influences; but all the sorrow and the grief that exist come from the world of matter—the spiritual world bestows only the joy!

If we suffer it is the outcome of material things, and all the trials and troubles come from this world of illusion.

For instance, a merchant may lose his trade and depression ensues. A workman is dismissed and starvation stares him in the face. A farmer has a bad harvest, anxiety fills his mind. A man builds a house which is burnt to the ground and he is straightway homeless, ruined, and in despair.

All these examples are to show you that the trials which beset our every step, all our sorrow, pain, shame and grief, are born in the world of matter; whereas the spiritual Kingdom never causes sadness. A man living with his thoughts in this Kingdom knows perpetual joy. The ills all flesh is heir to do not pass him by, but they only touch the surface of his life, the depths are calm and serene.”

Paris Talks, pp. 109-110
That's very inspiring. I suspect God is waiting at the end of the road. Created in the depths to soar to the heights of appreciation.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
love should be the motivation behind everything.
“I want to say a few words about love--very few, because I know so little. Also because love is spoken about too much already, whereas it should be lived. If you would dwell in peace, learn to love deeply. Never cease from loving. Jesus said a good deal about love, if I remember rightly. Look up what He said and live it.

Love God by pouring yourself away. Love your fellows by giving them all you possess of light and truth.

Love LOVE for her own blessed sake. Such love will bring you nearer heaven.

I have spoken about illusion several times. I return to it once more. I begin to see that phenomenal existence, whether on earth or here, is so impermanent as to be unreal. This is a hard saying. I do not yet understand it.

Live above those conditions which, after much meditation, appear to you to be illusory. That is the best advice I can give.” Private Dowding, pp. 37-38

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I'm pretty judgemental as a person, but I believe we are called to love people. I guess I have trouble loving people who seem to hate others.

I believe in bonds and boundaries. Bonds, because we are called to be close to others. Boundaries because otherwise we hurt other people. Having been abused by pushy people who were all take, I have little use for people who don't respect boundaries.