• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your worldview teach about love?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Interested to hear all the different views out there on loving others and kindness.

Buddhism teaches the ideal of Bodhicitta (the Buddha's own heart)- that the best kind of love to aspire toward is the Buddha's all-encompassing love and compassion for all beings. To meditate on that heart of love and let that guide us.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There seem to be a handful of distinct emotional and/or mental states that are all of them called "love". Some of those loves seem relatively more life affirming than others. The more life affirming loves are among the rather few things that can bring about what might be called "spiritual" rebirth in us.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have a worldview informing what I think about love directly, since I'm neither religious nor rigorously materialist (for example).

Personally I've decided not to overthink this. Much like consciousness, or hatred of the Lakers, there are some forces at play I don't need to understand, beyond the human psychology involved.

I prefer to think of this as anti-reductionism, rather than selected ignorance.

InChrist

Free4ever
My worldview is based on the biblical revelation that God is Love (1 John 4:8) and the definition that...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Interested to hear all the different views out there on loving others and kindness.

Buddhism teaches the ideal of Bodhicitta (the Buddha's own heart)- that the best kind of love to aspire toward is the Buddha's all-encompassing love and compassion for all beings. To meditate on that heart of love and let that guide us.
My worldview is closely tied to my religious beliefs and these are that every human being who has ever lived is a child of God and deserves to be treated as such. This means every one -- not just Mormons, not just Christians, not just believers in the Abrahamic God, and not just theists. I'm always looking for common ground between what I believe and what others believe, and am impressed by individuals who have a genuine desire to build bridges between people of various religions, cultures, races and ethnicities.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Without love the universe would not exist. On the most physical level, love is manifest as the forces of nature such as gravity. In the plant kingdom, love shows as plants reach for the sun. In animals, love shows up as sexual attraction. In humans, love is the sum of all these levels plus love at the psychological level as love of country and so forth. Also at the human level, love is the true connection between the individual and Divinity.

Jedster

Without love the universe would not exist. On the most physical level, love is manifest as the forces of nature such as gravity. In the plant kingdom, love shows as plants reach for the sun. In animals, love shows up as sexual attraction. In humans, love is the sum of all these levels plus love at the psychological level as love of country and so forth. Also at the human level, love is the true connection between the individual and Divinity.

Nice post, a simple expression of what is.
@Buddha Dharma
My own view is that existence itself is made up of a love of which all these others loves are born from.

Tumah

Veteran Member
It teaches that there are good types of love and bad types of love.
It teaches that like everything else in the world, love and kindness is harmful and needs to be tempered with some degree of strictness in order to be beneficial.
It teaches that love is generated in a person by giving.
It teaches that loving creatures is one of a number of important traits.

There's lots of stuff here, I kind of feel like the question is vague.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does your worldview teach about love?

Your question seems to be directed at those who have a received worldview, maybe like Christianity.

My worldview, which is compatible with the Affirmations of Humanism but doesn't come from there. It is an amalgam of ideas that I have accumulated over time applying reason to experience (evidence) and coming to assorted conclusion. Any teaching would have to come from me.

If that's what you are asking about, I can share that in a brief word sketch.

I would describe love as a feeling of connectedness to the other that manifests as a variety of characteristic benevolent acts.

The Golden Rule embodies the central feature of love - to include the other in one’s conception of self, and make his or her concerns your own.

We begin our journey into conscious existence with an intuition of the "in here" and "out there" separated by an imaginary circumference around the "I" or self. As we mature, this circle expands to include others, perhaps a mother at first, later more family. Later, perhaps a tribe or a nation of people, and the beasts.

Does the circle extend to include strangers of different races, ethnicities, sexual orientation, etc. as the Golden Rule requires? Can we love a forest? We can consider it just as precious as any other living thing and protect it like we would a baby, so I'd say yes.

If taken to the limit, we can develop a sense of connectedness with the cosmos, but I believe that this is more properly called spirituality than love. It now has morphed into an experience that includes awe and mystery, but not personal responsibility. I don't think I can call my appreciation for the Andromeda galaxy love even if I can somehow conceptualize that it is a part of me and I a part of it.

And I sure wouldn't know what to do for it.

Love is the highest good (summum bonum). It is the principle that when in conflict with other cherished principles such as truth or justice, trumps them. That is, if the truth is unloving, as when comforting a child during a hurricane, for example, and the truth is that the child might die, if asked, lie and say no. Honesty there is unloving and has to to take a back seat at that moment for love.

If the just thing to do is unloving, do the merciful or generous thing instead. Perhaps a poor and uninsured person just damaged your car with his. He owes you, and by law, can be forced to pay what he has, if he is, will suffer in a way that you won't if you just absorb the cost or accept the dent. Do the loving thing, not the just thing.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

It is a Baha’i belief that we are to treat everyone with kindness and compassion but love must be tempered by justice. It is not just to allow people to lie and steal and hurt other people, and it benefits nobody.

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.

Briefly, it is not only their fellow human beings that the beloved of God must treat with mercy and compassion, rather must they show forth the utmost loving-kindness to every living creature. For in all physical respects, and where the animal spirit is concerned, the selfsame feelings are shared by animal and man. Man hath not grasped this truth, however, and he believeth that physical sensations are confined to human beings, wherefore is he unjust to the animals, and cruel.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, pp. 158-159

The Hidden Words of Baha’u’llah briefly summarize the eternal spiritual verities that were revealed to the Prophets of old. The first Hidden Word counsels us to possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart. The second Hidden Word says that the best beloved of all things in God’s sight is justice, and it is a sign of God’s loving-kindness.

God created us out of love for us but unless we love god God’s love cannot reach us. We must die to self in order to for God’s love to reach us. God wants our love not because God needs it since God is self-sufficient and has no needs. God wants us to love Him so His love will reach us.

3: O SON OF MAN! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.

4: O SON OF MAN! I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

6: O SON OF BEING! Thy Paradise is My love; thy heavenly home, reunion with Me. Enter therein and tarry not. This is that which hath been destined for thee in Our kingdom above and Our exalted dominion.

7: O SON OF MAN! If thou lovest Me, turn away from thyself; and if thou seekest My pleasure, regard not thine own; that thou mayest die in Me and I may eternally live in thee.

8: O SON OF SPIRIT! There is no peace for thee save by renouncing thyself and turning unto Me; for it behooveth thee to glory in My name, not in thine own; to put thy trust in Me and not in thyself, since I desire to be loved alone and above all that is.

9: O SON OF BEING! My love is My stronghold; he that entereth therein is safe and secure, and he that turneth away shall surely stray and perish.

10: O SON OF UTTERANCE! Thou art My stronghold; enter therein that thou mayest abide in safety. My love is in thee, know it, that thou mayest find Me near unto thee.

The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My worldview is closely tied to my religious beliefs and these are that every human being who has ever lived is a child of God and deserves to be treated as such. This means every one -- not just Mormons, not just Christians, not just believers in the Abrahamic God, and not just theists. I'm always looking for common ground between what I believe and what others believe, and am impressed by individuals who have a genuine desire to build bridges between people of various religions, cultures, races and ethnicities.
Thanks for sharing. You took the words right out of my mouth so now there is nothing left for me to say. :D

I just love this forum because of all the different people with different beliefs and non-beliefs… It is like a beautiful garden full of flowers of different colors and varieties. The problem is I cannot get anything else done anymore. :)

I do not understand why people do not accept people who believe differently than they do. I have to conclude that they either feel threatened or they just are not interested in what other people believe, but I am fascinated by the differences…

“The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Whoknoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 288

I try to find common ground and build bridges between myself and those of other religions, beliefs or non-beliefs. Not everyone want to walk across the bridge but that is always their choice. :) I can usually find some who do and that is just so cool. :cool:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not understand why people do not accept people who believe differently than they do. I have to conclude that they either feel threatened or they just are not interested in what other people believe

You and I have been interacting a fair amount for several days on a variety of threads, where I've also seen you posting back and forth with a couple other skeptics. I'd say that everybody has accepted you, and treated you respectfully. The following is a rather lengthy, off-topic digression, so I will enclose it in a spoiler.

What we have all rejected are your claims and arguments, not you. You claimed that Baha'u'llah was an inspired messenger of God. You were told that you need to establish the existence of this god before claiming that He sent messengers to communicate with us. You said that we needed to study his words to see by his prophecies and character that Baha'u'llah was who he claimed to be, that in this way one could see that he spoke for a god thus establishing the existence of this god..

You were told that nobody wanted to invest the effort to do that without a reason, and to please provide snippets of the best prophecies or whatever else you had that might whet the appetite. I for one never saw anything that I considered special. I just got done reading the Baha'i instructions on love that you posted above. It's a nice sentiment, but a very commonplace one. Exhorting others to be kind, just, loving, and the like is not evidence that the message originates with a god or that a god had a hand in producing it.

I'm glad that you're enjoying your time on this forum. So am I. To get the most from it, perhaps you should try to understand why rational skeptics are not persuaded by such arguments. I have spent a fair amount of time considering the words of believers (including yours) trying to understand why their conclusions are so different from those of us who reject them and their associated gods for ourselves.

You wrote that you think that we differ from you by feeling threatened or uninterested. Why isn't even the possibility that we were simply not convinced on your list, which is what you were told.

It's not hard at all for me or others to believe you when you say that you find those same words compelling, compelling enough to attribute them to a god and base your life on those words. That's obviously true.

But when told the opposite by others about themselves, it didn't seem to register as even a possibility. It's as if you consider the words of Baha'u'llah so evidently divine that nobody could possibly read them and come to any other conclusion that that they are god sent, so therefore, the only possibilities are that we were threatened by the message or not interested enough to evaluate it.

That's simply not true. As I just indicated, I read what you wrote about your faith's take on love. There was nothing threatening there, nor was I uninterested. When I tell you that I found the words nice, but nothing new or special, that's exactly what I mean. The passages simply didn't give me the idea that this writer was channeling God or had unusual insights.

The way that you and we evaluate evidence is probably the fundamental difference between us. When you suggested that the prophecies of Baha'u'llah were evidence that he was a messenger of God, you were asked to produce your best example as a sample. You gave us, "O banks of the Rhine! We have seen you covered with gore," written in the second half of the 19th century, and called it a prediction of World Wars I and II.

I don't see that in those words. Why are we so different there? Why do you read those words and see a god shining through, and I see a line of poetry that doesn't even sound like a prediction to me, but a report of something that already happened in words too vague to attach them to a specific event or even a time or place more specific than one of Europe's major rivers sometime in the past.

The difference is that the believer has the will to believe. The skeptic needs a reason to believe, and so reads the same words differently - I would say more critically, meaning with the ability to evaluate them dispassionately and a willingness to be convinced by a compelling argument pr evidence, but not by anything less.

Why does the believer have the will to believe? A god belief must meet some psychological need in the believer that the unbeliever doesn't share. Belief somehow makes the believer happier, or more secure, or more hopeful, or more centered, or more purpose driven, or some combination of the above.

This comes through most clearly when somebody starts a thread indicating that their shopping for a religion, and looking for direction from other forum members. Someday, they may settle on this religion or that. After that day, I would expect them to begin telling us that they have the truth and the light - that they found this holy book or that collection of inspired sayings to be authentic, and that they had no choice but to believe after examining the evidence, evidence that they might present, and others lacking their need don't find convincing at all.

The unbeliever interprets this as reading through a faith based confirmation bias. It shows the believer what he wants to see, and filters out the inconvenient contradictory evidence. Thus, you see the prophecy of the Rhine as evidence that Baha'u'llah was prescient, while unable to see how vague the words actually are.

So, I hope you can see that you are wrong when you say that you are not accepted, or that we feel threatened by your words, or that we are uninterested in what you have to offer. It's simply a matter of skeptics having a different way of processing information, and the lack of a god need.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You and I have been interacting a fair amount for several days on a variety of threads, where I've also seen you posting back and forth with a couple other skeptics. I'd say that everybody has accepted you, and treated you respectfully.
I did not say that people have not accepted *me* or that they had not treated *me* respectfully. I said: “I do not understand why people do not accept people who believe differently than they do. I have to conclude that they either feel threatened or they just are not interested in what other people believe.” By *people* I meant people in general. I was not referring to myself… I will quote what I said to you on the other thread:

I did not say I thought *my words* were being rejected because people on this forum felt threatened or were uninterested. I was talking about people in general who do not accept other people who believe differently than they do. I was not referring to anyone on this forum, only to people in general. The key to understanding what I meant was in the previous paragraph. I said: “I just love this forum because of all the different people with different beliefs and non-beliefs… It is like a beautiful garden full of flowers of different colors and varieties. The problem is I cannot get anything else done anymore.”
C:\Users\Susan2\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
I meant I cannot get any chores done anymore. :(
The following is a rather lengthy, off-topic digression, so I will enclose it in a spoiler.

What we have all rejected are your claims and arguments, not you. You claimed that Baha'u'llah was an inspired messenger of God. You were told that you need to establish the existence of this god before claiming that He sent messengers to communicate with us. You said that we needed to study his words to see by his prophecies and character that Baha'u'llah was who he claimed to be, that in this way one could see that he spoke for a god thus establishing the existence of this god..

You were told that nobody wanted to invest the effort to do that without a reason, and to please provide snippets of the best prophecies or whatever else you had that might whet the appetite. I for one never saw anything that I considered special. I just got done reading the Baha'i instructions on love that you posted above. It's a nice sentiment, but a very commonplace one. Exhorting others to be kind, just, loving, and the like is not evidence that the message originates with a god or that a god had a hand in producing it.
I did provide a prophecy that I considered a good prophecy, the banks of the Rhine, and of course nobody thought it amounted to a hill of beans. What am I supposed to do when nobody likes what I present? My husband said I should not even bother talking to nonbelievers anymore after what happened on my previous forums. Yet I never did anything but answer questions and respond to what people asked for. I am not responsible to think for other people. That’s their job. I am getting the same response here as I got from nonbelievers on my other forums, only they are more polite here. :) People seem to think I am responsible to convince them of what I believe but I am not. I explained that on the other thread so I will quote part of what I said there:

Everyone has to decide what to believe on their own. God created everyone with the *capacity* to recognize the His Messenger so I am not responsible to convince people of who He was. My only responsibility is to *proclaim* that Baha’u’llah has come and answer any questions people might have. However, people are responsible to do their own in-depth research. Gone are the days of the Christian clergy spoon-deeding religion to the masses. Everyone is on their own to independently investigate the claims of Messenger. :)

Who said that what I quoted about love on this thread was evidence? That is not what the person who posted this thread asked for. He said: “Interested to hear all the different views out there on loving others and kindness.” So that is what I posted.
I'm glad that you're enjoying your time on this forum. So am I. To get the most from it, perhaps you should try to understand why rational skeptics are not persuaded by such arguments. I have spent a fair amount of time considering the words of believers (including yours) trying to understand why their conclusions are so different from those of us who reject them and their associated gods for ourselves.

You wrote that you think that we differ from you by feeling threatened or uninterested. Why isn't even the possibility that we were simply not convinced on your list, which is what you were told.
As I said above I never wrote that. You misinterpreted what I wrote, read into it what was not there. I am a counseling psychologist but I am not here to analyze people, although it would not be that difficult. People often project their thoughts and feelings onto others and people often blame others when they do not get what they want. I am not saying you or anyone here is doing that, but I have listened to more than one atheist blame God for three years. One atheist kept saying I was making excuses for God and it was drop dead obvious he was saying that because he could not get God to do what he wanted, directly communicate to him and everyone else in the world.
It's not hard at all for me or others to believe you when you say that you find those same words compelling, compelling enough to attribute them to a god and base your life on those words. That's obviously true.

But when told the opposite by others about themselves, it didn't seem to register as even a possibility. It's as if you consider the words of Baha'u'llah so evidently divine that nobody could possibly read them and come to any other conclusion that that they are god sent, so therefore, the only possibilities are that we were threatened by the message or not interested enough to evaluate it.
Oh no, that is not true at all. I would say straw man but at least you said “it’s as if.” :) I know I do not think that people should think like I do about Baha’u’llah. The fact that I am passionate about what I believe in no way means I expect others to follow suit. Baha’u’llah explained some reasons why so few of us believe and most don’t. I can share that with you later if you are interested.
That's simply not true. As I just indicated, I read what you wrote about your faith's take on love. There was nothing threatening there, nor was I uninterested. When I tell you that I found the words nice, but nothing new or special, that's exactly what I mean. The passages simply didn't give me the idea that this writer was channeling God or had unusual insights.
All I can say at this point is straw man. I am not angry, just frustrated that people misunderstand what I write. It was plain English but apparently people read into what I say.
The way that you and we evaluate evidence is probably the fundamental difference between us. When you suggested that the prophecies of Baha'u'llah were evidence that he was a messenger of God, you were asked to produce your best example as a sample. You gave us, "O banks of the Rhine! We have seen you covered with gore," written in the second half of the 19th century, and called it a prediction of World Wars I and II.

I don't see that in those words. Why are we so different there? Why do you read those words and see a god shining through, and I see a line of poetry that doesn't even sound like a prediction to me, but a report of something that already happened in words too vague to attach them to a specific event or even a time or place more specific than one of Europe's major rivers sometime in the past.
WWI and WWII had not already happened when Baha’u’llah wrote that Tablet to Kaiser Wilhelm I! :eek: As I said on the other thread, that Baha’u’llah wrote that Tablet in 1869, long before anyone could have known about WWI or WWII. It was a *warning* of what would happen if they did not heed His call, in no way intended to be a prophecy. Baha’u’llah also warned Napoleon III that He would fall from power and one year later he was defeated in battle. The man who delivered the Tablet to Napoleon IIIthought it was nonsense but he became a Baha’i after Napoleon was defeated, he was so convinced. Also keep in mind that we have Baha’u’llah’s original writings and there is no way these Tablets could have been tampered with.

The obvious answer to your question as to why we do not see the prophecy the same way is that I already firmly believed in Baha’u’llah before I *ever* read that Tablet. I never used that Tablet as evidence, I just considered it way cool because of the way Baha’u’llah talked to Kaiser Wilhelm I and all the kings and rules and all the Christian clergy, with vehement power and authority. The way He writes only further confirmed what I already believed… But that is cool to me because I already believe Baha’u’llah is a Messenger of God, a Manifestation of God is what we usually refer to Him as. I do not expect it to be cool to you or anyone else who is not a Baha’i.

(Continued on next post)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The difference is that the believer has the will to believe. The skeptic needs a reason to believe, and so reads the same words differently - I would say more critically, meaning with the ability to evaluate them dispassionately and a willingness to be convinced by a compelling argument pr evidence, but not by anything less.
Oh, you are way off target now because I have no *will* to believe. Rather, I have a *reason* to believe. I went about living my life like a nonbeliever and tried to disbelieve in Baha’u’llah for about 42 years, but I never could because there is too much evidence that He was a Manifestation of God. Five years ago I decided if I could not refute the claim I may as well *try* to be a Baha’i. Since then, the more I talk to nonbelievers and Christians the more evidence I find hiding under rocks! I have my own forum and all the Bible prophecies Baha’u’llah fulfilled that prove Baha’u’llah was the return of Christ, the Messiah, are posted there. :D. They came to be posted there as a result of me posting to one Christian for over a year.
Why does the believer have the will to believe? A god belief must meet some psychological need in the believer that the unbeliever doesn't share. Belief somehow makes the believer happier, or more secure, or more hopeful, or more centered, or more purpose driven, or some combination of the above.
After posting daily on forums to nonbelievers for about four years, you do not think I have not heard that one do you, about the psychological need to believe? I am or more hopeful, or more centered, or more purpose driven, but that is because I know what Baha’u’llah wrote about the bright future for humanity, not just because I believe in a nebulous *God.* Holy moly, if Baha’u’llah was the return of Christ this is the greatest even in human history and all the Bible prophecies for the Golden Age of humanity will now be fulfilled! :eek: Why would I not be hopeful and happy? I suppose I do feel more secure because after all if my God exists I know He is watching over me although I am still on my own because I have free will and I do not believe God intervenes and does stuff for me, as many believers believe. I am happier because I am beginning to fulfill my spiritual destiny. But I also suffer a lot for lack of sleep and time to do other things I need to do, responsibilities. I do not care much about having fun anymore in the sense of recreation or vacations, so I do not really miss those.

It is illogical to say that just because belief makes the believer happier, or more secure, more hopeful, more centered, or more purpose driven that is the *reason* they believe because there can be other reasons they believe. Also, they can be more secure, more hopeful, more centered, or more purpose driven, because that is what belief provides by its very nature. So no, that does not necessarily mean that is the *reason* they believe, although it could be the reason for some believers.
This comes through most clearly when somebody starts a thread indicating that their shopping for a religion, and looking for direction from other forum members. Someday, they may settle on this religion or that. After that day, I would expect them to begin telling us that they have the truth and the light - that they found this holy book or that collection of inspired sayings to be authentic, and that they had no choice but to believe after examining the evidence, evidence that they might present, and others lacking their need don't find convincing at all.
And so what if they did do that? What you are apparently not understanding is that there is a *reason* why some people find religion convincing and others do not. A big part of this is related to the Messengers since they establish the religions. For four years I have been trying to figure out why nonbelievers do not consider religion and Messengers evidence that God exists, but it is not *me* who is going to figure that out; it is the nonbelievers who need to if they have any interest I knowing if God exists because God is not going to show up in any other way except as a Manifestation (Messenger), logically speaking, since God has never done so throughout all eternity. :) That alone is evidence if people could get beyond their confirmation bias owing to Christianity and the Bible.
The unbeliever interprets this as reading through a faith based confirmation bias. It shows the believer what he wants to see, and filters out the inconvenient contradictory evidence. Thus, you see the prophecy of the Rhine as evidence that Baha'u'llah was prescient, while unable to see how vague the words actually are.
Lol, this is what you nonbelievers do, filter all the evidence out no matter how good it is so as a result you are left with nothing. I think logically. I see the prophecy of the Rhine as additional evidence only because I already believe in Bahaullah. I believe in Baha’u’llah because of everything He wrote and did on His mission. There are Baha’is many who studied the evidence for 5-30 years before they became Baha’is, but I knew within two weeks. My belief has not faltered in 47 years. Then again, I was never a Christian or any religion before I stumbled upon Baha’i so I had no confirmation bias. That is pretty much the biggest hurdle to traverse. If someone has a different religion they have a tradition they hold fast to and if they used to have a religion they have a bias against religion.
So, I hope you can see that you are wrong when you say that you are not accepted, or that we feel threatened by your words, or that we are uninterested in what you have to offer. It's simply a matter of skeptics having a different way of processing information, and the lack of a god need.[/SPOILER]
Thanks, you are a very nice person, but I already know that, having been posting to them for over four years daily. Most people would have packed their bags and went home by now but I just packed them up and went to a new location. :D

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So every time I fall on my bum, it's the planet embracing me with love? :confused::confused::D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'd prefer not to objectify love, it's a natural wonderful emotion that is appreciated when it comes and missed when it dissipates. Ding.

Yerda

Veteran Member

Hi,

I don't know what my worldview is. I'm an atheist and an unbeliever but I have something akin to a faith in the redeeming qualities of love. If there's anything mystical/religious I could hedge my bets on it would be this - the only reliable method of improving ourselves, others, and the world as a whole is through love. In almost any situation an approach motivated by loving kindness is the best one.

Even if it strikes many as anodyne or cliche (or shamelessly sentimental) I'm sure that love is really all we have. We can only gauge our successes by the quantity of love we make and we take. The rest is games.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It teaches that there are good types of love and bad types of love.
It teaches that like everything else in the world, love and kindness is harmful and needs to be tempered with some degree of strictness in order to be beneficial.
It teaches that love is generated in a person by giving.
It teaches that loving creatures is one of a number of important traits.

There's lots of stuff here, I kind of feel like the question is vague.
I largely agree with this and also feel questions like these don't illicit answers that tell us all that much.