• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does Your Religion Say About The AfterLife

Purity

I'd like everyone to tell me please what religion you are and what your religion says about the afterlife, how it discribes it, what happens there and so on. Thank you for helping me. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me.
:) Purity

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Within Judaism, and, by extension, Christianity, the first attempt at serious, if not particularly coherent, discussion of angels was the relatively late yet popular Enoch.

Dayv

I posted this on a similar thread:

I strongly believe in reincarnation. I've thought about this a lot lately, and the way I see it is our souls evolve much like life on earth has. We start out as part of the goddess--the very essense of life. At first our life is short, mearly the spark of life to some insignificant creature, bacteria or something. At this point the soul is still very much a part of the goddess, if at all seperate, but as the soul grows through bits of wisdom obtained through each progressively more complicated life, it becomes more and more independent, although never completely seperate from the goddess. We live many lives, thousands, millions, maybe more, but all we take from one life to the next is the wisdom we have obtained (a very druidic belief). I believe that the ultimate wisdom to be obtain is that of true love, and that the only soul which we are guarunteed to meet again from one life to the next is that of our soulmate. Evil is meerly a lack of true wisdom, and is not just simple forgiven as christians are so fond of believing, but is also not punish with eternal damnation, but everyone will feel the discorse of their dark intent, in this life or the a future one, and through their self-created struggle will gain another bit of wisdom.

How's that?:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Pretty much the same thing it says about death. My answer in your "Death" thread: Most UUs regard death as the final and total end of our existence. Although some believe in reincarnation, some in heaven, some have other beliefs about death. We are free to explore and decide what to believe.

Tawn

Well as an Atheist i believe there is no concious existance beyond death. We go back to how we were before birth.. in oblivion.
Of course the matter and energy that comprised our physical self is still around.. and gets absorbed back into the natural world. In fact most of the cells in our body are replaced every 7 years.. so one could say we are a different being seven years later. Wow.. that means I have died several times already.. ;)
We are nothing more than patterns.

It my belief that when you die you rest for a while, and then are reincarnated into another body. Whether it be human, animal or somthing else it need not matter. Learn what you can now.

Purity

Dayv said:

I strongly believe in reincarnation. I've thought about this a lot lately, and the way I see it is our souls evolve much like life on earth has. We start out as part of the goddess--the very essense of life. At first our life is short, mearly the spark of life to some insignificant creature, bacteria or something. At this point the soul is still very much a part of the goddess, if at all seperate, but as the soul grows through bits of wisdom obtained through each progressively more complicated life, it becomes more and more independent, although never completely seperate from the goddess. We live many lives, thousands, millions, maybe more, but all we take from one life to the next is the wisdom we have obtained (a very druidic belief). I believe that the ultimate wisdom to be obtain is that of true love, and that the only soul which we are guarunteed to meet again from one life to the next is that of our soulmate. Evil is meerly a lack of true wisdom, and is not just simple forgiven as christians are so fond of believing, but is also not punish with eternal damnation, but everyone will feel the discorse of their dark intent, in this life or the a future one, and through their self-created struggle will gain another bit of wisdom.

That was interesting! I don't know if I could see myself as bateria but I understand what your saying maybe that's why we're not aware as a baby too. Or at least no one ever remembers being aware as a baby of where they come from. I always found it interesting that we didn't remember being with God as a baby before we were born. Your answer gives me thought.........Thank you

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dayv said:

Pretty much what I believe in. I was thinking about the way our souls 'mature' (hopefully) with each incarnation the other day. It suddenly struck me that, yes, as you say, we probably started off with a very short life span. I then thought about the fact that to God, one of our days is a thousand years..... I think there's a lot more to 'go through' that we know nothing about, or perhaps imagine.:)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Buddhism does not postulate an afterlife, and the general Buddhist concept of "rebirth" is significantly different from the more popular interpretations of reincarnation. Basically there is no eternally existing self (see the Buddhism forum for more on this).

Purity

Tawn said:
Well as an Atheist i believe there is no concious existance beyond death. We go back to how we were before birth.. in oblivion.
Of course the matter and energy that comprised our physical self is still around.. and gets absorbed back into the natural world. In fact most of the cells in our body are replaced every 7 years.. so one could say we are a different being seven years later. Wow.. that means I have died several times already.. ;)
We are nothing more than patterns.
Wow when I first started reading this I felt sad to think of oblivion.Then you started talking about matter and energy being replaced back into the natural world and that sounds pretty cool and if my cells are replaced every seven years then I have a lot of wisedom in me right now.........
Thank you

Purity

iaminterface said:
It my belief that when you die you rest for a while, and then are reincarnated into another body. Whether it be human, animal or somthing else it need not matter. Learn what you can now.
Do you get to choose your next body or form? How is that decided?